IN NEED OF SOME THOUGHTS AND CRITIQUES

Talk about all art or ask for advice.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta, The Raging Spaniard

Bee-chan

IN NEED OF SOME THOUGHTS AND CRITIQUES

Post by Bee-chan » Wed May 17, 2006 2:36 am

Did something I haven't done since I was a hyper squeeling fangirl of New Kids on the Block way back in the day.

I listened to one album and one album ONLY today while at work. Reason one.. I didn't want to listen to anything anime related, also meaning I didn't want to listen to ANYTHING in Japanese. Reason two.. the mood of the entire office fit WELL with this album. Reason three.. I have not been able to get "Dirty Harry" from the Gorillaz out of my freaking head for DAYS now! Xx;

So yes, I've been listening to the Gorillaz "Demon Days" cd in Winamp on repeat aaaaall freaking day. You'd think I'd be sick of it by now, but I STILL can't get "Dirty Harry" out of my head. XP

And seeing as there was LITERALLY absoluetly NOTHING for me to do today *and I do mean NOTHING, I was bored out of my SKULL*, and the result of listening to the Gorillaz all day long, this ended up popping into my head after a chat with Pip online.

Yes, I do torture poor Simon in so many ways. Can't help it, he's my sweet punching bag ^^;.

Red pen sketch of Simon done in a 2D-esque style. Skiiiiinnnny, angular, breakable looking, classic emo. VERY off character for Simon, but again.. he is my loving punching bag / victim ;b. Made use of my sketchbook again.

Anyhoo, I've decided I'm going to turn this into a full finished night scene to have ready for AnimeNEXT.

It's funny that my pen sketches usually end up being more interesting than my pencil sketches. Something about the sketching in pen forces me to lay down lines a little more properly than with a pencil.

But I'd still like some critiques and thoughts and suggestions. It's currently in this stage of being VERY rough, and just pen lines tossed down to give me a better idea.

Toss some thoughts my way, please?

If you need to see a larger version, here ya go:
http://beehivestudios.koojisites.com/ex ... 162006.jpg

~~Bee

Zephio
MWS moderator

Post by Zephio » Wed May 17, 2006 4:19 am

Right now i can't find anything wrong, maybe cuz im a little tired. but i like it alot. glad to see something different from you

The Raging Spaniard
Awsome Moderator

Post by The Raging Spaniard » Wed May 17, 2006 5:56 am

Jesus everybody always needs a critique, no need for the SUPER DESPERATE LARGE TOPIC NAME, you know?

So far it looks OK, I still dont understand why you draw all day and your anatomy keeps getting worse ... same with the lines ..mmm... who knows, maybe youre overworked? anyways. I understand that since drawing ones characters is fun, sometimes we fall in love with our vision of what we are seeing and thus we forget to make an enjoyable piece for EVERYBODY to look at, this is a clear example. I think putting your character in situations like these distracts you from putting together a better layout. Right now I see no point in this picture, maybe a worms eye view or even a complete opposite, a bird eye, would add a lot more drama/mood/sence of space to the piece. Right now its flat out boring and I really wish I could say nicer things about it ... but since you have decided to make this a convention piece I have to be really nitpicky

Give HIS left foot some dimension. Seeing feet like that HEAD-ON is very amateurish of you. Give it more of a 3D look by adding a bit of the outer side of the shoe. You already did it around the bottom are but its not nearly enough Trust me

Get some better reference of his left hand.

For the rest, its allright, since youre an inker I really shouldnt give much advice on lineweights but a good tip is to make the lines not being hit by the light source thicker, and the ones that are being touched by light, thinner. It works wonders

Good luck!
Xavier Garcia

Concept Artist

Portfolio
Twitter
Tumblr

Bee-chan

Post by Bee-chan » Wed May 17, 2006 5:26 pm

The Raging Spaniard wrote:Jesus everybody always needs a critique, no need for the SUPER DESPERATE LARGE TOPIC NAME, you know?

So far it looks OK, I still dont understand why you draw all day and your anatomy keeps getting worse ... same with the lines ..mmm... who knows, maybe youre overworked? anyways. I understand that since drawing ones characters is fun, sometimes we fall in love with our vision of what we are seeing and thus we forget to make an enjoyable piece for EVERYBODY to look at, this is a clear example. I think putting your character in situations like these distracts you from putting together a better layout. Right now I see no point in this picture, maybe a worms eye view or even a complete opposite, a bird eye, would add a lot more drama/mood/sence of space to the piece. Right now its flat out boring and I really wish I could say nicer things about it ... but since you have decided to make this a convention piece I have to be really nitpicky

Give HIS left foot some dimension. Seeing feet like that HEAD-ON is very amateurish of you. Give it more of a 3D look by adding a bit of the outer side of the shoe. You already did it around the bottom are but its not nearly enough Trust me

Get some better reference of his left hand.

For the rest, its allright, since youre an inker I really shouldnt give much advice on lineweights but a good tip is to make the lines not being hit by the light source thicker, and the ones that are being touched by light, thinner. It works wonders

Good luck!
Yeah, the time to really just sit down and be able to practice some good anatomy sketches really doesn't happen much anymore. It's my downfall sadly v~v.

Hmmm.. maybe the worms eye view. This is still just EXTREME rough sketch idea, nothing even close to being a finished pencil idea, tossing ideas in the sketchbook kind of thing really. Finished stuff will be a lot tighter, as will the line weight ;b.

I'm going to be working this again sometime today, still going with the Gorillaz feel, redoing that foot all together *bleh wasn't happy with it anyhoo ^^;* and definetely the hand.

Thanks Xavi ^_^. Man, you're the only one willing to give me a critique like this anymore! I WISH other people had the guts to give proper critiques, and not just fluff, or pats on the head. Those drive me freaking NUTS and give false hope! ^^:

~~Bee

captain4434

Post by captain4434 » Mon May 22, 2006 1:10 am

Nice style you've got, reminds me of the artwork on the Gorillaz album covers. Keep it going. You'vegot a style, use it.

Bee-chan

Post by Bee-chan » Mon May 22, 2006 11:56 pm

captain4434 wrote:Nice style you've got, reminds me of the artwork on the Gorillaz album covers. Keep it going. You'vegot a style, use it.
The style used in this isn't my own, really. It IS totally based off the Gorillaz. I was listening to Gorillaz "Demon Days" all that day, and just wanted to try something in that art style, but using one of my own characters. And seeing as Simon tends to be my punching bag, he ended up being the one I used.

~~Bee

lotsofblood

Post by lotsofblood » Tue May 23, 2006 1:42 am

*pats Bee-chan on the head*
"The handsome hero always wins!" -Dark Schneider

cericcalas

Post by cericcalas » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:50 am

the dude's right hand looks like it's under his bum at the base and at an awkward position. also, the braid looks like it's bending way too high, unless he has hair of steel. in which case, that's some crazy ****
*opens up a jar of fluff and passes it around*
marshmallowy goodness

FancyGLJL

Post by FancyGLJL » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:02 pm

I really Like that picture. It seems alot like cover art for a CD, I cant see to many things wrong with it, the style it just really coo :P