Free ebook now available in Japan

Do you have a story for a manga you'd like to share or talk about? Then this is the place to be.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

morriss003

Free ebook now available in Japan

Post by morriss003 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:42 pm

Aloha from Maui,
My name is Stan Morris and I enjoy manga and anime. My favorites are Genshiken, Hachimitsu to Kurōbā, Sukūru Ramburu, Bokura ga Ita, Nana, Dennou Coil, Kimi ni Todoke and many others. Right now, I am reading Gantz and Negima. I am a writer with several ebooks at Amazon and now they are available in Japan. One is free. If anyone in Japan would like to download this book, the url is this. http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B001V9KG4E
Please feel free to do art for this book. I am not looking for money, I just like manga.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Re: Free ebook now available in Japan

Post by Ceta » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:38 am

Despite the fact that you've made the book available on the Japanese Amazon site, it's very unlikely you'll get many people buying it. Here's why: 1) Most Japanese people cannot read English and are not very keen on learning how, and 2) the reviews posted about the book don't really paint it in a good light so even those who can read English may not take the time to read it. That said, having read the reviews, I don't plan on spending the 76 yen it costs to download the book. (Though you said it's free, there is a price tag attached to the book.)

Anyway, all that aside, if you wish to get someone to do art for your book, I highly suggest selecting sections of your book that you'd like to see illustrated then properly commission an artist to work on it for you. Posting a link to the book and asking people to make art for it doesn't really work out unless you have fans of your work who wouldn't mind doing so. Best of luck to you.

morriss003

Post by morriss003 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:59 pm

Thanks for your response. I have no idea why Amazon is not making the book free in Japan. but I appreciate your pointing that out. I'm not looking for someone to do art for this book, I simply informing people that if they wish to do so, they don't have to worry about copyrights or other rights. And if they make any money from art based on this book, I have no objection. As for the reviews, well different strokes for different folks. I'm happy with the number of 5 and 4 star ratings the book has received from the American and UK sites.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:35 am

I see, I see. Since you didn't post any links to the American and UK sites, I couldn't read any other reviews. Aside from myself and a few others, most of the members on this site are from America and the UK, so I highly recommend posting those links for those who are too lazy/busy to look it up on their own.

As for the images, I still suggest putting together a proper commission request to get someone to illustrations for areas that you wish to have drawn. For many artists, it's much harder to read a novel than a manga due to various time-constraints -- mainly in part due to work, school or life in general -- plus many would much rather be drawing, so it's much more feasible if you make a request with a description of the character's (characters') appearance(s) and what you wish the scene to contain. Regardless of whether the commission is paid or non-paid, this will make it a lot more likely for you to find someone to illustrate your stuff.

Sadly, I'm swamped with work as is and am unable to assist you, but I wish you the best of luck in finding someone to help.