Looking for suggestions

Do you have a story for a manga you'd like to share or talk about? Then this is the place to be.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What do you rate the possibility of this becoming something you might read want to see as a manga?

Yes, I would like to see this idea exspanded upon and eventualy made into a manga.
No votes
Yes, It is alright but needs a lot of improvement and more details
No votes
Meh, I am unsure about this it might need some major changes
No votes
No, This sounds like it is going to end up being something I don't like in the long run
100%
No, This sounds to similar to something else it wont be well recieved
No votes

Total votes: 1

Aurek
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Looking for suggestions

Post by Aurek » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:05 am

First off I am not the type of person who is looking to make something for everyone. I come here with heavy inspiration in the cyberpunk genre and mindset. Authors like William Gibson, Chiaki J. Konaka and basically anyone who could come up with something that questioned reality, identity, communication and religion.

With all of that being said I hope those of you who join in this discussion about my ideas understand where I am coming from here or at least have a vague idea.

Now then onto the general ideas I have compiled so far.

Setting Elements:
Time: near future - something not to far off both in time and in technology. If the ideas exists today as possibility then its a plausible acceptance in the near future.

Place:The place is an unimportant detail in this story because the majority of the story will take place online with perhaps only a quarter of the time spent out in the real world. The world will still be intact nothing post-apocalyptic. The majority of characters will be placed in large cities perhaps even fictional cities.

Imagery:Nothing like net diving demonstrated in GITS or described in Neuromancer. I want people to feel like the real world initial holds little value. That there is almost no reason to go offline.

The real world has an older population who has had their lives extended by almost double due to advances in medical technology. However this older generation which for now I will call, "Generation+3" has taught the past two younger generations that you should avoid the online world and only use it as a tool and not a place. The major cities which will be around the three main characters I have in mind will be filled with a culture which is highly religious and devoted to family. Not to say this will take place in japan but its a possible choice of many. The younger generations will be taught to think of things as small groups which would comprise an individual. The conflicting generation which the main characters will be from we will call, "Generation 0". Generation 0 strives for a sense of individualism in search of a place they can make their own in the world. This will progress and serve as the conflict between the different generations. The story will present dark sides to both the real and virtual world. It will attempt to present a distancing view of reality working well and display it to the reader as being disorderly and unpleasant.

I think that's enough of a base explanation for now I want to hear what people think because I am sure to add more details but I want opinions first.

major banana
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by major banana » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:09 pm

ooooo cyberpunk. Now i'm interested. Tell me if you like philip k dick novels too? He has a very different approach to cyberpunk. If you're moving too close to william gibsons work (how can you not?), look at his stuff and it'll give you fresh ideas for sure. But looking at your story, it strays too far from his themes to do that.

I wouldn't worry about the setting, it's not important whatsoever. The only importance it might have, is to create a recognisable setting to your readers, like '2040 los angeles' or '2029 russia', so they can see what changed, compared to the world now. But you don't even have to. Setting this in japan won't give you the general japan-weaboo problems either, you just do your thing, you don't need to know anything about japan to make this right. The world is the same, but slightly different, the focus is off society as we have it today.

What you have to do is put a certain milestone event in your settings history. What happened that made the world a different place? Where did that technology boom came from? if there is one? For example, the discovery of neuro-links to computers, artificial intelligence, self-evolved consciousness in digital data, transcendence to a digital self. Stuff like that.

You need to have an idea, a thought, and raise questions with your readers. A certain moral conflict. What i read from your story is that the new generation of people lost its faith in the old society and take the steps to make a new one. But they make it in a fake, virtual world. This seems to grasp back to the question of 'what is real?'. Another question i see is 'how far should the current ruling party go (generation+3) to lay its will on the people they control and rule (generation 0), themes like censorship, control, too much power. These themes and thoughts aren't original in the genre, but they don't have to.

I'm a little biased as a huge cyberpunk fan, so i suck this all up like honey, but you got something interesting going here. The only thing about this kind of story, it will only work if you do the end result right. The themes of cyberpunk are so specific and open to interpretation. Try to avoid a 'preaching' way of telling your idea or theme. Let the reader discover it by himself. If you TELL them, this is the idea and this is how to interpret it, then it won't work. You only have to give the idea, give the readers the option to form their own ideas on it.

Bring out the details.

Aurek

Post by Aurek » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:26 pm

@Major Banana
"like '2040 los angeles' or '2029 russia', so they can see what changed, compared to the world now. But you don't even have to"

That is actually a strong point I want to bring across how things might be or in the case of the story "will be".
What you have to do is put a certain milestone event in your settings history. What happened that made the world a different place? Where did that technology boom came from? if there is one? For example, the discovery of neuro-links to computers, artificial intelligence, self-evolved consciousness in digital data, transcendence to a digital self. Stuff like that.
I was re-reading my brainstorm from last night and realized I left a lot out that being one of the things. The medical boom I mentioned should follow with the rapid increase in world population and a loss of privacy and space along with it. That along with the world economy on a down fall thanks to the over burden from the massive population boost. Then you have the opposite side of things with the infinite cyber space. I want it to follow a mostly modern theme perhaps a visor like headset to put the person into a not much more advance web surfing experience.

As for details into bringing the reader to question things and perhaps even see things in a new view [like serial experiments lain did for me :3] I do want to have the story explore self with someone taking one of the main characters place in the real world because of their time spent online rather then in reality. A loss of friends and a growing distance as one of them has to choose between reality and virtual reality.

My end idea will have one of the main characters revolutionizing the way communities work with reality and virtual reality. Another one of them will either become broken or have given up mental on either the physical or virtual world (not sure how I wana play the #2MainChar yet) and the third one going on to move reality to embrace the virtual reality and the benefits it will give to freedom of self.

With that said I want something unique any good cyber punk theme brings out a new question something deep. One that I want to focus on but is not new is God or basically an omnipotent being. That and how one person or thing [virtual idol perhaps?] can grow to become something similar to a cyber god in a sense. Not one that is aware of its self but as one which the community and people have built over time. [sorry but had a bit of vocaloid inspiration there can't help my self]

The next major idea I think that will actually be original however (with my limited amount of books read) is to bring up connections. Now I know this is shown in a lot of series, manga and books in millions of ways. However I want it to be something major in the sense of more than family, friends and relatives. I want it to be communities, groups, and for the sake of a perhaps one shot story countries? [<-- rough ideas]

I might just throw that connections focus out and perhaps really think of something original because indeed like you said it will be important to being up something new or in a new way.[/quote]

====EDIT====

Alright so perhaps I can (not as the original idea) use the virtual god idea and the #2MainChar in some way perhaps he overly believes or follows through on the way this idol created by communities views the world and goes to far. [Basically a fanatic the dark side of the net vs the dark side of reality]. Have a similar case early on in the story where in reality the main characters are [upset/disgusted? displeased at least] with the fanatics in their real life. [Have a lot of separation from religion in terms of seeking salvation or support of any sort and instead looking to communities for #1&#3 Main character.]

====EDIT2====

The general conflict will also include reality vs digitization of information and how constricted information is. This will go to enlarge the scale of the digital "god"[god will be used in place of omnipresent entity and will be elaborated on later] So I suppose the best approach here is going to be to draw from current day issues and basically show how they might seem is exploded in the near future. [now its starting to sound like a reasonable cyber punk idea]

major banana

Post by major banana » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:58 am

Well you can go in a million different directions here. An omnipotent being can be a lot of things and can be approached in a lot of different ways.

One thing i forgot. Make sure you stay away from making your story look like a soapbox (the 'what have we done' effect), the present issues are just a cause, your stories setting is the effect, nothing else. You want the readers to be intrigued by your society, but they may never want to live in it. Your world is a failure, flawed, your character tries to change it, after all. The readers will figure out the underlaying modern day issues on their own (if there are any).
What always seems to work is, to make it a possiblity of a future that's extremely likely, but something that nobody wants to happen.

I see you still got it all rolling around in your head. So i'll save my other thoughts for when you got a more stable story. Be careful cause you can keep changing and deepening out this stuff forever haha.

Aurek

Post by Aurek » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:31 am

Haha thanks~

Its just there is this impression I want to leave and its difficult to think of away to give that impression the one that brought me into cyber punk the thought process behind most of the things related to it. I am not wanting a best seller kinda deal here I just want it to be moving to at least one person. If I can bring one person to love cyber punk and the ideas and thoughts related to it. That is reward enough for me

Thanks for the advice I don't actively write often I more or less have been asked to over the years for other people but never for my self. Also going for a thought provoking genre probably is not an easy place to start since I do not really understand how to captivate people into a story. I can't seem to pick those key parts from books to figure out what made me enjoy them so much.