Do you write your story out in it's entirety first?

Do you have a story for a manga you'd like to share or talk about? Then this is the place to be.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
will2power

Do you write your story out in it's entirety first?

Post by will2power » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:45 am

I'm a complete newb when it comes to Manga. Honestly, I started reading them because my daughter likes them and I like to make sure that she's not reading anything too adult. I started previewing a lot of them because she goes through them rather quickly --and then I started to enjoy some of the different more adult titles on my own.

I do write stories on my own, but I have never even considered doing a manga until she asked me to. I'd been working on a story for the past year and I finished the first draft. She's always interested in creative things like that and she asked me if I intended to make a Manga.

To be perfectly honest, my answer was no. But then I got to thinking that what I wrote might actually interest her. So I'm asking this question of people who have a little more experience in this type of thing. If you're an artist, do you prefer to have a completed story to begin with, or is that something you care about or not? I mean, right now I'm reading Umi no Misaki and I can see that it's a completely well thought out story --even though it's not finished yet.

It's just my personal preference, but I enjoy a story that is a start to finish adventure rather than an ongoing series, but that isn't always the case. Anyway, I was hoping for a little insight from all of you.

Ceta
MWS moderator
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Ceta » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:24 am

Having a story made makes things much easier. If you make it up as you go, then the chances of you losing interest along the way are a lot higher. Planning ahead by completing the script, doing storyboards, making character designs and anything else needs to be done before starting your project will allow things to go smoothly. Well, depending on what kind of curveballs life decides to throw at you along the way. (Back in my college days, when I was doing a collaboration, things started out fine but then classes started to get harder and my internship started to take up much of my free time so I ended up having to quit.)

Once you've got your preparations complete, then it's just a matter of getting started and persevering until the end.

will2power

Post by will2power » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:01 pm

I see. I haven't held a pencil since high school, but I remember how it was with drawing. There'd be a bunch of us passing drawings back and forth in the back of the library. Depending on whether or not you had tests or research papers and stuff and then suddenly you found yourself six months away from where you were when things got busy.

I didn't think of storyboarding or character design either. It sounds like there's a lot more to it for the artist. But then again, I remember how many nights I stayed up till two in the morning writing in order to get it finished.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable