How does this sound? Interesting idea maybe

Do you have a story for a manga you'd like to share or talk about? Then this is the place to be.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

LuxSolaris
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

How does this sound? Interesting idea maybe

Post by LuxSolaris » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:04 pm

So, I just thought this up a little while ago and I think it might be an intersting idea. It takes place in the US in modern day society. Its an ecchi, School life, romance, and comedy.

Blake (random name for now) has always been the cool kid in school. The guy that never blushed, and guy who always got all of the girls. The type of guy who made girl's knees weak and make those of the faint of heart faint. However, to him, this gift from the gods has become a curse ever since he caught the eye of the most perverted girl in school, (who's name I don't know at the moment). This is a very bad thing indeed since as this girl constently throws herself to Blake, Blake is attempting to romantisize the only girl who has managed to block his charms, (A childhood friend and neighbor who's name I don't know yet). The reason Blake's childhood friend has managed to resist Blake's charms is because she is totally uninterested in the popular group which Blake unwillingly comes from. So now, to charm his true love, and push away the most perverted girl in school, Blake has decided to attempt something that has never been attempted before! To commit social suicide in any way possible. Now, Blake will go on a journey to totally humiliate himself in any way possible so that he may one day lose his title as "Coolest Kid in School" and gain the title "Childhood Friend's Lover".
The name of this would probably be something like "Too Cool For School" or "Social Suicide" or something like that.

How does that sound? Any good? Or is it a completely cliche and unoriginal title? I kinda got tired of seeing all of the mangas and stuff where they have some total loser wimp climb the social ladder as he harems his way through all of the girls. I thought it would be interesting to try to make it the opposite way.

MilesStar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by MilesStar » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:57 am

So basically it is about a kid trying to lose his popularity in school so he can get his child hood friend, who he truly loves. It sounds original, since most kids never want to lose their cool in school. And I like it that your setting takes place in America. His goal will be tough because his fans probably will not left him lose his cool. It sounds good and very funny.

LuxSolaris

Post by LuxSolaris » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:00 am

Yep Yep, I couldn't have said it better myself. Well, I just need to find someone to help me make it now I guess. Thanks for all of the compliments.

major banana

Post by major banana » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:18 am

kinda like cruel intentions without the bet?

Personally as a total geek and unpopular guy in school, i don't find your main guy very appealing. There's a good reason those harem animes are popular after all. Geeks who can't get girls read em and love it, it gives em hope in some way. Popular, good looking guys don't need hope. Also, those popular guys really aren't forced in their little role of popular guy, they went for it or got lucky. I'm sure johnny depp never cried cause of his good looks and shitloads of girls he could get.

If you can make your main 'popular' character in a way that somehow everyone likes him, then i'd say you got a really good idea here, i like it .

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:01 pm

i agree with banana. i don't really see how this guy could possibly be forced into the popular crowd against his will. but if you can find a way to make that work and make the guy likeable then yeah this sounds like something i'd enjoy reading.

the biggest problem that i can see, though, is that if the guy really wanted to humiliate himself and distance himself from the popular kids, i doubt it would take him more than like 5 minutes to come up with something weird and creepy he could do to ostracize himself. wear women's clothing, have someone catch him in dora the explorer underpants, masturbate in public, bring a blow up doll and introduce it as his girlfriend, start carrying on conversations with walls, etc. i'm sure any one of those things would cause people to start avoiding him, and then the story's basically over. although i suppose you could have it where he comes up with stuff like that, and then something always happens to ruin and backfire and somehow make him even more popular or something. i dunno. let us know what you come up with, though. color me intrigued.

LuxSolaris

Post by LuxSolaris » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:26 pm

Okay, well you guys do have a point. I should try to figure out a way to make the character likeable, I think I kinda already have a way though, and about the whole "forced into popularity" yes he was in fact forced. You see, he has an innate ability in that just about everything comes out of his mouth is really snappy and cool, and plus with his good looks on that people couldn't help but to migrate towards him.

When it comes to him trying to humilate himself, its a lot harder than is seems. First of all, he has to fight off his urge to act normally because when he acts normally, he acts really cool. Plus, his ideas of how to become a loser are ideas that he doesn't know will just end up making him look cooler. For example "I know! I'll become a secret agent! Yes, thats right! If I do that, then people will think I'm dangerous and want to stay away from me!!"

Also, when he does come up with a plan that could actually humilate himself, people take it waayyy out of context and turn it into a really cool thing. For example, lets say he gets the idea to tar and feather himself, then run around the school making dying duck noises. At first people would say "What is he doing?" Then they would say "Maybe he has an ability to talk with birds!" then they would say "Maybe he's a superhero! He must have powers of some sort! That's ssoooooo cool!!"

So yes, there will be problems with him humiliating himself. Its a gift to your average person, it's a curse to him.

And plus he's doing this for a girl, so things like "masterbating in public" are certainly not a good idea.

Don't double-post, please. --Ceta

rabid panda

Post by rabid panda » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:43 am

LuxSolaris wrote:And plus he's doing this for a girl, so things like "masterbating in public" are certainly not a good idea.
depends on the girl hes doing it for

LuxSolaris

Post by LuxSolaris » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:26 am

Well...you've got a point there.

major banana

Post by major banana » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Haha you're right. Like if a chubby geek puts on a batsuit, he's a chubby geek in a batsuit. If bruce wayne, the rich handsome mysterious guy puts on a batsuit, he's batman.

LuxSolaris

Post by LuxSolaris » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:20 pm

EXACTLY! Good analogy Major Banana.

Churu

Good premise

Post by Churu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:34 pm

I like your premise, but I'm not sure about the approach. Your premise being, that you'd like to put a different swing to the "social underdog gaining power" scenario. The idea of "social suicide" in order to gain in another area is very interesting. I'd like to read more about that.

But I'm not sure if this romance idea makes any sense at all. Being "cool" or popular, or having a reputation at school is about how your personality is gauged by people who only generally know you. It could be merely a pretense, or a rumor. This type of shallow evaluation shouldn't really apply to this girl who is allegedly a life long friend. If they really are friends, she can see through these rumors and pretenses.

Committing social suicide is not Blake's solution in a case like this. Their friendship should transcend the shallowness of social status. If the girl is shying away from him because he has gained so much popularity recently, it would most likely be because she has low self esteem issues, and doesn't feel at all similar to Blake anymore (so their friendship would be suffering greatly), or she would feel uncomfortable hanging out with the "popular kids" because she believes she belongs to another group or none at all.

What Blake would need to do is to reconnect with her on a personal level. Find those things that they have always shared that bonded them in the first place. Blake needs to show her that they are the same after all, and then she would feel comfort. But that's friendship.

I'm not sure what you personally have experienced in life, but bonds of friendship and physical attraction are two different things. You are not going to interest or move your audience if you write things that couldn't possibly hit a chord in them because they can't identify with it at all. In the real world, the girl would be attracted to him or not already because of their physical chemistry. The social implications might make her keep away from him DESPITE her attraction to him. But never would she BECOME physically attracted to him because of social changes. Well, maybe in middle school...

In regards to social suicide, there may be other reasons that one would want to do that. Social reasons. Maybe to work into a gang or other organization. Maybe to throw someone who is investigating him or profiling him. Or maybe because he "hates what he's become" or some kind of inner torment.

LuxSolaris

Post by LuxSolaris » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:55 am

Churu, you have brought up some really good points that I had not even thought of before. I never really sat down and took that into thought about what you just said, I really only had the thought in mind "wouldn't it be funny if someone tried to commit social suicide? But, why would they do that? Oh, maybe for a girl? A relashinship (I know I miss spelled it) between two people might bring in some intersted."

So, here is what I think I'll revise it as. Blake's childhood friend is part of an average high school athetic click, and ever since Blake rose up the ranks in the popularity Blake's childhood friend has become intimidated by him and is afraid to talk to him because of his social status. She really does like him, but she doesn't feel that she could be with him, or in fact that he would even return her feelings because of his popularity. However, on the other hand, Blake believes that his childhood friend doesn't like him because she thinks that he's a snob since he's so high on the popularity chain, and won't talk to him because she doesn't like him anymore as a friend or as anything more than a friend.

So it's a case of social irony (if that's what it is), Blake likes his childhood friend but doesn't think she'll except him because she thinks he's a snob, on the other hand Blake's childhood friend really likes Blake, however she believes that she will be rejected since she believes Blake is probably too good for her.

Perfect! And I believe someone could connect to that! Thank you Churu, you really opened up my mind!

Also, I still took into thought when someone said something about people of low popularity, and figured it might be a good idea if Blake befriended the school loser, a timid weak kid who carries around way too many keys and seems to have a key for every door, in order to get help in how to lose his popularity. At the same time as Blake is being helped by that kid, Blake is helping that kid to get a girl that he likes in his Culinary class. Or, is that too much? I donno, I'm just trying to get characters that people could connect with.

major banana

Post by major banana » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:33 am

Isn't the 'people of low popularity' thing solved already (you put the unpopular girl more in the spotlights)? You'll have some readers root for her instead of the popular guy.

LuxSolaris

Post by LuxSolaris » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:52 pm

Yeah, you're right. Okay then, so I'll just stick with the original thing. It's probably not a good idea to put distractions in for the main character.

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:52 pm

how about something like this:

blake and this girl grew up together. as kids they were best friends. when they get to high school, blake ends up as part of the popular crowd. he seems to just exude coolness. he doesn't even do it on purpose. it just can't be helped. it's a curse. girls are always chasing him and everyone's always trying to emulate him or be cool by association. the girl is put off by his popularity and the people he hangs around with (or rather, the people that hang around him). she feels like he's sold out. blake realizes he's in love with her, but has trouble telling her how he feels. he assumes he'll be rejected because he knows how she feels about his popularity. so he sets out to distance himself from the 'in' crowd. he starts off small, but everything seems to backfire and end up making him even more popular than before. so he starts getting more and more desperate and trying bigger and bigger things to get away from all the girls and the popular kids. or, you know, get them away from him.

that's how i'd go about it, but again, there are a lot of little details that'll need to be hammered out for this thing to work right. but keep at it! i'd really like to read something this. could be really funny.

also, yeah, you don't really need to throw in a geeky sidekick just for the sake of having a geeky sidekick. if it helps the story then go for it, but don't feel like you have to.