new manga plot--Kazejin

Do you have a story for a manga you'd like to share or talk about? Then this is the place to be.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

kyoichigaki

new manga plot--Kazejin

Post by kyoichigaki » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:21 pm

Hey folks, I'm a little new here so please forgive me if I'm accidentally rude or anything. *bows*

Anyway, I have this idea for a manga...

Main characters: Kaji Susen (male protaganist), Starlite Tenno (female protaganist)

Support characters: Bruce Downs (Kaji's friend and mentor), Kusuke Yamaguchi (Kaji's friend and rival; Miyuki's love interest), Yuki-sensei (martial arts master and manipulator), Sano-kun (Yuki's student), Miyuki Aibara (Starlite's best friend #1), Ayane-chan (Starlite's best friend #2)

The basic storyline is this: six years prior to the start of the story, a strange supernova bathed the Earth in bright light for three days straight. After it dissipated, about 1% of the population discovered that they had strange, seemingly random superpowers. In the present day, these people--Novers--are feared by the people, but used by most governments as weapons of war. Our story focuses on two of those Novers, Kaji and Starlite, Kaji being maybe the most powerful Nover in existence, and Starlite having a fateful role that nobody is aware of yet. With their friends and allies, they face many trials, including a group of super-Novers who are fighting over who will control Japan.

It's basically a political/sci-fi, kind of DBZ and The West Wing tossed into a blender. There is little silliness (I don't do silly) but a lot of mature humor; the atmosphere is designed to promote thinking deeper into the storyline to try to figure out what's going to happen next.

Still need an artist for it, though... :cry:
Last edited by kyoichigaki on Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:50 am

I highly suggest not using Japan as your location. Problems that come from doing so:

1) Collaborative works usually don't go so well if the artist you're working with knows very little or doesn't know anything at all about Japan. (Reference pictures can only go so far.) If you come from Japan or live in Japan, then it shouldn't be a problem, but if you live in a different country then I highly suggest you set your story there. In addition to being able to easily gather resources when needed, you'll be able to add personal touches that will fit in much better with the story while still being able to be considered believable.

2) If your knowledge about Japan comes from manga/anime/Wikipedia/etc and/or from Japanese classes, then your information will likely make a person who does know what the country and its people are like to call you out on your BS.

3) Nobody likes a Weaboo. Unless you're Japanese, you'll be tagged as one almost immediately.

4) Comics like the one you're trying to do are practically a dime-a-dozen. Just about everyone who loves Japan because of anime/manga/some other reason wants to set their stories in Japan, so it'll be difficult to get peoples' interests going unless you find yourself a really awesome artist. (Which should prove to be difficult since most talented artists right now are either busy with their own works or will charge a lot for their services.)

5) Publication will likely be a challenge if you wish to go that route. To my knowledge, most US companies don't take submissions if the story setting is outside the US unless they are assured that the product they're dealing with isn't liable to get them into any legal troubles.

Anyway, sorry, but I have no free time to help you. Good luck with your project.

kyoichigaki

Post by kyoichigaki » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:25 pm

Hmm...well, I get what you're saying, I really do. But at this point in my storyline (I'm already at chapter 36) I really can't change the setting (Tokyo and the surrounding area). Do you have any suggestions on how to make it work while keeping the setting?

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:29 am

Listen to Ceta. You can change settings easily, it's not that hard.
Make the setting fictional.

kyoichigaki

Post by kyoichigaki » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:06 pm

Hmm...that's an idea...it is six years after the introduction of Novers, so it would make sense that Japan, and the rest of the world, has been greatly altered by Nover presence...all it would take is a few lines inserted into the first chapter, too

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:23 pm

kyoichigaki wrote:Hmm...that's an idea...it is six years after the introduction of Novers, so it would make sense that Japan, and the rest of the world, has been greatly altered by Nover presence...all it would take is a few lines inserted into the first chapter, too
What? No.

I mean make it a completely fictional setting. Not an altered reality. Fictional. As in, doesn't actually exist.
How the hell would these people greatly alter the world so much as to completely rename cities?

Have you seen X-Men?

MilesStar

Post by MilesStar » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:03 pm

Yah, don't make the setting take place in Japan. There are too many typical manga with that setting, since the books are publish in Japan, and there are other OEL artists doing that mistake too. One of my stories used to primely take place in Japan, but I changed the setting to America because I am more familiar with the American setting than Japan.

And it does sound a lot like X-Men. Perhaps (just a suggestion) you should change your setting into a fictional setting. Maybe in outer space where the super nova bath a space colony. It might sound like the Fanastic Four, except there are other humans colonies who discriminate the Nover people, and they become targets to rogues or tyrant colonies who want to use them as weapons. You can also make it a space western style with aliens maybe. Oh and change their names to English names that sound interesting. This is just a suggestion, but keep up the good work.

rabid panda

Post by rabid panda » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:58 am

lemme ask you one question, do you have an artistic style in mind besides "animu"? cause dude if you dont then you need to prioritize. have you browsed the art forum at all? figure out what you want your story to look like then you can proceed.

oh and dont name one of your characters "downs" cause im gonna think nigga is retarded just by his name