Relica Profile

Do you have a story for a manga you'd like to share or talk about? Then this is the place to be.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

MilesStar

Relica Profile

Post by MilesStar » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:32 pm

Here is the info of my time thief character. I'll write the three volume series synopsis soon.

Relica lives in L.A alone inside a Japanese style house in a garden on top of a hotel building. She ended up living there by buying the hotel with money she got from selling stolen relics from the past. She loves her home and rich life style.
Relica’s life began as an orphan from America, who was raised by a Japanese family in Tokyo. Her foster parents work with a secret ninja clan as mercenary spies, who steal important information for clients sought as crime lords, mobsters, and terrorists. When their organization was discovered by the secret service, Relica’s foster parents sent her to America to be safe before they got arrested. Relica never saw her Japanese foster parents again ever since.
During her childhood in Japan, Relica’s foster parents taught her how to steal without getting caught. They wanted her to carry on their generation of their organization. This is why Relica began a living as a thief.
In elementary to high school, most of the students treated Relica an outcast, because she isn’t Japanese. She wasn’t welcome to any clubs or any activities. She only had a few friends, who gave her respect. Her school days weren’t great, but she lived through it before she moved to America.
Relica makes a living as a mercenary time thief. She travels through time to a time period to steal valuable items for her clients. Stealing was her hobby, and now it is a part time job.
Relica is a negotiator, trickster, and double crosser. She’ll always try to talk her way out of things to avoid conflict. When her enemies gain her trust, she will betray them in order to escape. She basically can not be trusted because of her tricky actions. If insulted, she will insult back.
Relica has nobody in her life, except her foster parents who are still in prison. She prefers to be single so her love interest wouldn’t get in her way or betray her. Relica is a loner.
Her goal is to follow her parents’ wishes. Just like her parents, she has her own secret business to earn money.
Relica specialize in a martial art technique using fire arms. Instead of taking cover, she moves around in open areas, while dodging bullets and jumping everywhere. She only takes cover, when she has to reload her pistols. She has good speed and agility. Relica is so fast, she is almost hard to hit.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:35 pm

While I think this isn't a very good idea -- setting most of the character's past in a country that you likely know little about outside of what you can look up on the internet, amongst other things -- I think I'll wait until you've posted your synopses before I make any real comments.

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:53 am

Her home sounds stupid... that's all I have to say.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:59 pm

Aether wrote:Her home sounds stupid... that's all I have to say.
Actually, from some architecture magazines that I've read in the past, some of the Japanese architecture-styled houses in the US are really, really nice. Of course, the people that had the houses built consulted someone who knew plenty about Japanese culture, not to mention the people who chose the style were also quite knowledgeable as well since they had lived in Japan for quite a while prior to moving back to the US, so the settings/decorum were as close to the real thing as you could get. Considering references for Japanese architecture aren't exactly very easy to come by (there's also only so much you can learn just by looking at pictures; experiencing the real thing is a whole different story), I have my doubts that Miles can pull off a good description that people will allow people to imagine what her house is like.

My biggest question about this whole setup is why Relica would buy a hotel. Being a thief and all, one would think that she'd try to keep a much lower profile by having her house in a much more remote location. To put it simply, the location on top of the hotel makes her quite the easy target. I mean, if a helicopter were to bring down a rain of troops, the exit possibilities as well as the places to take cover for fighting back are very, very limited. If her house were in the woods, on the other hand, the enemy would have places to take cover but if she were smart about setting traps they wouldn't last long and she'd have plenty of places to take them out if she got used to her surroundings. In addition, she'd have plenty of places to make an escape if things became more than she could handle -- granted she chose a good enough location to allow for multiple exit strategies, that is.

DemonicRedemption

Post by DemonicRedemption » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:56 am

Ceta wrote:While I think this isn't a very good idea -- setting most of the character's past in a country that you likely know little about outside of what you can look up on the internet, amongst other things -- I think I'll wait until you've posted your synopses before I make any real comments.
I think having you say this unfair seeing as how you are from Japan... I mean I too have done my fair share of research on Japan so as to set my characters in an accurate environment,( Somewhat accurate.) But as you said it's nothing compared to actually living there...
Demons who seek Redemption? What's this World coming to?

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:06 am

It may be unfair, but that's just how things are. It's hard to make things accurate if you're just going off of the things that people tell you. Most people on the internet are pretty biased when it comes to talking about places they've been so it's hard to really know about another country unless you've been there yourself.

If you ask any experienced/published writer who has placed their characters in a different country, they'll likely tell you that they had to do extensive research by actually going to that country and getting to know the people before writing anything. I read a book a few years back, while I was in the US, called "The Snow Fox", in which the author set his story in ancient Japan. In the explanation section, he talked about what he had to do in order to make sure that his book, although fiction, didn't contain any cultural inconsistencies. I don't remember whether the explanation was in the front or the back of the book (probably the back), you can check it out for yourself at your local bookstore or library.

Regardless of the fact that the time period is different (ancient times rather than modern times like what you've likely written about), the author did his research, went to the country and consulted quite a few people during the course of writing the book. Even the writer for Megatokyo has been to Japan on numerous occasions for research and things like that, so he is able to give a much more realistic image of Tokyo (while doing highly unrealistic things within the comic) than someone who is just going off of things that they see on the internet.

While I don't mean to cut you down or anything, this is the reality of the situation and it applies to just about all that you can write about (unless you're writing about a fantasy world since not all rules need apply). To put it simply, research can only go so far without experience. If you don't have the experience or have any means of obtaining it, then you should look into speaking with someone who does.

MilesStar

Post by MilesStar » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:43 am

I couldn't think of a better place for her to live at.

Caffeine

Post by Caffeine » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:08 am

A wide spot in the road somewhere in Utah.. :D It has all those cool rocks.
You can't get rid of me.
Deviantart: here

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:33 pm

Caffeine wrote:A wide spot in the road somewhere in Utah.. :D It has all those cool rocks.
I would've gone for Colorado. Although I've never been there, from the movies I've seen, there are a lot of woodland places and she can go skiing/snowboarding to keep her skills up. A fancy log cabin-style house would look really good, plus she can keep her stolen goods safe in a secret area under her house, kinda like Batman's cave. (If there are caves in the Colorado mountains, that is. I don't really know.)

MilesStar

Post by MilesStar » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:35 am

Hey, what do you think if Relica is a figure of Loki, the trickster god. Like she is similar to the god. She steals, she tricks, liar, and cheater. She doesn't shape shift, but she can be the master of disguise. I could think of her as a female version of Loki. What do you think? :D

Aether

Post by Aether » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:11 am

Well you couldn't really have a god as a main character unless she is extremely restricted. You know what I mean? Otherwise the manga would be very boring.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:22 am

MilesStar wrote:What do you think? :D
I think you should stop dilly-dallying and get stuff done. I mean, seriously, it took you over two weeks just to get to this point and, when you look at your progress overall, you've gotten nowhere. If you're really serious about going pro, then you need to start taking things more seriously. I mean, in over two weeks worth of time, we should've already been looking at a well-developed character profile for Relica, more character profiles and a start on the basic layout of the story by now.

Aether

Post by Aether » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:20 am

Agreed.

MilesStar

Post by MilesStar » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:17 am

What I meant was Relica is an archetype of Loki, but she is not a goddess. I'm writing the second volume synopsis right now.

major banana

Post by major banana » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:05 pm

Relica specialize in a martial art technique using fire arms. Instead of taking cover, she moves around in open areas, while dodging bullets and jumping everywhere. She only takes cover, when she has to reload her pistols. She has good speed and agility. Relica is so fast, she is almost hard to hit.
noir?