One Shot - Purpose

Talk about all art or ask for advice.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta, The Raging Spaniard

SUUUPPPAAA

One Shot - Purpose

Post by SUUUPPPAAA » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:47 am

This is some artwork from a one shot I'm working on. I'm trying to create a solid short story that I can be proud to send out to companies to show my drawing and story telling abilities.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Re: One Shot - Purpose

Post by Ceta » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:40 am

The biggest thing that catches my eye are the problems in perspective. There are a lot of things either too big, too small or don't really fit properly in the perspectives you've set. Unfortunately, I injured my drawing arm in a snowboarding accident and haven't fully recovered yet so I can't provide you with a visual reference at the moment. I'll post something once I've healed if someone doesn't beat me to it first. Probably going to be a few more days, though, by the way things are going.

SUUUPPPAAA

Post by SUUUPPPAAA » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:20 pm

Ceta wrote:The biggest thing that catches my eye are the problems in perspective. There are a lot of things either too big, too small or don't really fit properly in the perspectives you've set. Unfortunately, I injured my drawing arm in a snowboarding accident and haven't fully recovered yet so I can't provide you with a visual reference at the moment. I'll post something once I've healed if someone doesn't beat me to it first. Probably going to be a few more days, though, by the way things are going.
Please do when you get the chance. I'll admit that my perspective drawing blows haha. I'm in the process of teaching myself everything as I go, I tried taking a class but the teacher wasn't of any help at all -____-. Thank you very much for taking the time to help and I hope your arm get better!! Thanks Ceta! :)

major banana

Post by major banana » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:05 pm

I would pay you ZERO for these drawings, i wouldn't even consider hiring you. Your perspective is wrong, the coloring is bad, it has a generic manga-feel to it, the text looks amateurish.

That doesn't sound very polite but this is how 'companies' treat the hundreds of art applications. Many times, the people who will look at your application are not artists themselves, they are people who can tell what will make them money or not. They are people who know which artist has the potential to do their work for them. Kinda like how Simon Cowell can't sing for shit, but he can detect a goldmine singer from 30 miles away. They don't care about your feelings. They need a motivated tool to draw THEIR comics for them, not you drawing your own stuff, so focus on drawing skills most.

You can either:

1. forget about sending something now and sharpen your skills to near pro level. Those pro illustrations might seem unobtainable, but it's really not impossible. Dedicate a year or more on a very slick portfolio, you'll improve like crazy while doing this. You're not supposed to stop improving anyway. Most of all learn to draw fast and accurate. No basic errors, good solid work, stand-out, don't stick to manga. The companies you send your work to are looking for an artist who:
can draw pretty much every request, can draw fast (a page per day), is willing to draw multiple versions of a key page or panel without bitching, is willing to let his precious art being butchered by people who don't know anything about art or comics (this is ultra frustrating but you'll get over it), can draw any perspective, angle or scene without errors, can work with deadlines and pressure. You might become part of a team (other artists, inkers, colorists, scenarist etc) drawing on the same comic.
If you get hired, you are what you are aiming for here. You will probably need to be obsessed with drawing.

2. lower your standards: not everyone needs ultra-professional artwork. They pay way less but you have the opportunity to learn with experience, and learn to deal with deadlines and pressure of drawing for money, as in: A JOB. You'll need a good while to sharpen your skills and it won't replace a real job income, it's more like practice for the 'real' thing. But you're trying to reach the same as 1. so why waste time? There's always younger and better artists ready to take your spot.

3. Start a decent webcomic with a following, get a booth at a con, prepare yourself very good and have GOOD art/printed webcomic on display. You might get lucky and your comic gets noticed.

4. if you don't want any of the above, give up drawing as a career and keep it as a nice hobby.

But trust me man, if you're gonna show something to get jobs, you need to show something worth paying for, not mediocre stuff. I just came from an anime convention. A guy sat there in a booth, just a table with business cards and very sub-par art slapped on the wall. There were other artists in other booths next to him, some weren't all that good but they sat there drawing live, well-prepared, nice booth and they had people looking through their portfolio, they did caricatures/animeversions and the good ones sold many drawings for 20 or 25 a piece. Some booths had STAGGERING hot lolita girls in them too. But the guy sat there all alone with people almost avoiding his booth, he looked pretty sad and disillusioned. I almost went to grab a business card cause i felt so bad for him. But then his pal arrived with a freshly refilled collection of MAGIC trading cards to show. Point being, if you don't draw and behave like a pro, how are you ever gonna get hired as one?

MangaDude

Post by MangaDude » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:43 pm

WOW MAJORBANANAS! That has to be the best (most accurate) advice I've ever heard! I work for a manga magazine and I had to "endure" lol some really bad stuff when looking at submissions. The best way to promote your art is at conventions! If you try to compete with people who have been doing it 10+ years, you wont be satisfied with the outcome. Convos really are a great starting place! You hit the nail on the head Major!