I suck!

Talk about all art or ask for advice.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta, The Raging Spaniard

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Raguel
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

I suck!

Post by Raguel » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:24 pm

I suck at inking, can someone pitch some advice?

Touzoku-joou
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Touzoku-joou » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:14 pm

Damn, your av is a perfect fit for the topic. xD

Elaborate. What do you suck at? Making clean lines? Digital inking? Traditional inking?

Def Character
Mod-Squad Captain

Post by Def Character » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:14 pm

First we want to now what media you use to ink... pen, fineliner, small brush maybe... :wink:

The Raging Spaniard
Awsome Moderator

Re: I suck!

Post by The Raging Spaniard » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:21 am

Raguel wrote:I suck at inking, can someone pitch some advice?
Yeah, practice more
Xavier Garcia

Concept Artist

Portfolio
Twitter
Tumblr

Raguel

Post by Raguel » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:25 pm

I suck at making straight/clean lines, though I suppose some practice is in order.

luong02

Post by luong02 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:32 pm

Raguel wrote:I suck at making straight/clean lines, though I suppose some practice is in order.
believe me, you're not the only one, haha.

The Raging Spaniard
Awsome Moderator

Post by The Raging Spaniard » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:41 am

Raguel wrote:I suck at making straight/clean lines, though I suppose some practice is in order.
ACTUALLY theres a secret technique to draw straight lines! This is a trade secret .. so it could get me in trouble, but whatever!

You:

-hold a pencil, pen or any other drawing utensil
-put the tip on a piece of paper
-move your hand on a STRAIGHT LINE without ... and heres the tricky part, WITHOUT letting go of the drawing utensil
-if everything went alright and the planets were aligned properly, its has been proven by British scientists that the one you drew should be, in fact, straight
Xavier Garcia

Concept Artist

Portfolio
Twitter
Tumblr

Def Character
Mod-Squad Captain

Post by Def Character » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:47 pm

Raguel you need to get more confidence in setting a line. Try making some random lines in farious directions and curves. Make some drawings with not sketching what so ever. It doesn't matter if its wrong... You need to inprint the controll of the media you are holding in your mind. Practice practise practis :)

Edragon

Post by Edragon » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:19 pm

You probably aren't using the proper tools. I don't ink myself, but my friend is an inker and he uses a french curve. It can be found at just about any art supply store I think. It's a stencil with a lot of different curved areas so you have a hard edge to ink around. If you are having trouble inking a straight line, just use a ruler.

oh yeah, the french curve is for inking with pens. I have no suggestion, other than practice, for inking with a brush freehand.

MiNi

Post by MiNi » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:28 pm

It doesn't really matter what type of pen you use , you can ink with a ordinary BIC ballpoint , check bee-chan's art ;)

It's just a matter of practice . And bit of a steady hand . I myself have that problem couse when I ink I feel like I've got parkinsons or something but I always shacke my hand ;)

Def Character
Mod-Squad Captain

Post by Def Character » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:20 pm

With me its the other way around.. May hand shakes a little when I hold it up...*holds a sheet of paper on top of his fingers* But when I put down a line I have all the controll I want :roll:

MiNi

Post by MiNi » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:41 pm

Even when holding out my hand it shakes , it's been that way forever with me ;)

Jamz

Post by Jamz » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:14 pm

This is what i do for inking. Scan your sketch at a pretty good dpi size...600dpi should work like a charm for this, go on photoshop or whatever you wanna use, change the sketch so its a light blue or any light colour then print it out. lastly.......ink it

I like this idea as if you fuck up on the inking, just print another copy and also the paper doesn't have grooves init from the pencil.

THEN one good way to scan the lineart so all you get is the ink is to scan at 600dpi min and scan it in the black and white setting.

.......now stop reading this and pratice, you can only get good at lineart by studing lineart and praticing lineart.

oh and if you don't know how to change the sketch into line art go on image, adjustment, hue and saturation then at the bottem right click colorize and just mess about with the settings till its a light colour. (Might have the wrong title names as i'm typing this from memory)
I use to have like 1500 posts T_T.......crap i need a life

Hayate

Post by Hayate » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:26 pm

another good tip is "DO NOT DRINK CAFEIN" or "WORK OUT" before doing your inking. otherwise your hands will shake like a vibrator.

another thing is that some people think that the skill lies in a tool, but it's not. YOU control the tool, not the way around.

to be able to make straight lines, you must understand your own hand. it's different for everybody.

- the thing that I do is, when I want to ink a straight line with a curve, I only move my arm, and not my wrist. if I want to ink hair, I use my wrist and not my arm.

-it also works for me to have the right side of my hand against the paper, because I shake when I'm hovering above it.

- another technique I use is turning the paper around ( not upside down if that's what you thought XP ) if I can't make the right angle ( for example a curve from right to left )

the rest is training and understanding your hand :) at least that's how I look at it.