update -- 'new' comic

Talk about all art or ask for advice.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta, The Raging Spaniard

major banana

update -- 'new' comic

Post by major banana » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:33 pm

It's not exactly new, this must be beginning nr 534 and remake nr 6403 of this comic, but this time it just goes like nothing and writes itself.
I got the hang of manga studio and drawing goes faster and faster. It takes an age to get a panel done but i have a clear image in my mind, and that's what i want to see in the end.

Anyway heres the first 2 panels wihout text. I exaggerated the perspective on purpose, as if it's all huge, so that only the center of the view is 'normal' looking. The reason for that is that behind the counter (in the 'middle' of the view) i'm going to draw the other main character and make him stand out a little from the customers in front of him. I'm also going to let him look at the guy sitting at the corner of the counter, cause he's looking at the woman looking through the window, the other main character. I'm gonna make her less visible. The first panel is separate so that i can put more text in both than in a single big panel. Am i putting too much thought in it?

The only thing i need is a good toning tutorial and loads of reference, cause everything i told above here should be accomplished with tones.

version with the perspective ruler visible
Last edited by major banana on Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FirstBorn
The Big Cheese

Post by FirstBorn » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:19 pm

Wow! This looks awesome!
Am i putting too much thought in it?
No, you need to think about this stuff so you know what to do. And your plan sounds valid. Keep it up!

About the tones. Are you going to tone them in real life or digitally?

major banana

Post by major banana » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:15 am

Digital

Heres a little update. I already fixed the eating guy and the neck in the last panel. Next will be him smiling at her, and the couple in front of him recognising the window girl (so he just made a fool out of himself) i put bartender guy right behind the couple so he can listen to their conversation and pick up something about the window girl here and there. And i introduced my main characters while doing that :)

version without sketchlines

Def Character
Mod-Squad Captain

Post by Def Character » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:49 am

Wooah keep it up please :D

FirstBorn
The Big Cheese

Post by FirstBorn » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:16 am

When using digital tones, please keep in mind that when you down-scale your image the Moire effect can ocure. We've had this problem in the past while pressing our manga. =_=

major banana

Post by major banana » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:30 pm

Hmm i better print out a few tests then. Thanks for the advice

major banana

Post by major banana » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:24 pm

update

You dutchies can read the text, right. It's a little poetic but i like it.

Def Character
Mod-Squad Captain

Post by Def Character » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:33 pm

thumbs up Major B

Jamz

Post by Jamz » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:46 am

I don't like the jump from full backgrounds too none, also on the first new panel there is alot of negitive space. Adding backgrounds might fix that though. oh yeah, and the panel with the guy lookign through the window just looks like a guy with a line in his face. Not sure how you can fix that though, experiment
I use to have like 1500 posts T_T.......crap i need a life