Ceric's Artwork

Talk about all art or ask for advice.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta, The Raging Spaniard

cericcalas

Post by cericcalas » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:52 am

a random ninja Posted:
sounds like an answer to me.
That's fine, i didn't say it wasn't an answer, i said that it: a. was all but helpful(1 million hours ~114 years) and b. was not advice. unless of course someone is suggesting that TRS has been around for several hundred years.

I think it's odd that you're defending a rediculous answer-- If you asked a teacher how to do whatever that teacher is skilled at and they told you tons of practice, would you be satisfied? I personally would not since i wouldn't know what to practice.

Anywho... here's something I drew tonight. I don't know how to adjust the settings on the scanner, so there are some spots it didn't scan because of the contrast. The main focus was on the clothing. I know i always make the feet and hands too small. I added the lines to show that he's sitting on the floor against a wall until i actually add the background. I would appreciate C&C on it. Thank you.

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:03 pm

i'm really defending it more as a comment than as an answer. he made a comment, and you got snappy just because it wasn't an exact, direct answer.

here's the thing: we're not TRS. we don't all know exactly how to get results like that. and if that means you'd rather we not say anything at all than say something that isn't helpful and/or advice. just tell us that up front so we'll know. no need to get snippy about it.

here's the other thing: you didn't ask a teacher. you asked a bunch of random, mostly amateur artists on an internet forum. now let's try that again. if i asked a group of random amateur artists how to do something and they told me tons of practice, would i be satisfied? maybe not. but i wouldn't get short with them because of it. i mean it's not like he came in here and said 'OMG YOU SUCK SO HARD YOU'LL NEVER BE AS GOOD AS TRS.'

again, if you don't want us to say ANYTHING unless it helps you do whatever it is you're trying to do, fine. just say the word. and for god's sake, man, stop with the '1 million hours/114 years' stuff. he clearly didn't mean literally millions of hours.

now, as for this new picture, i'm not sure what those circles on his face are. freckles? and his right arm looks like it's just hanging down and then someone else's hand is coming out of nowhere and grabbing his knee. other than that, it's not bad. i especially like the vest. the folds look very natural.

cericcalas

Post by cericcalas » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:19 pm

a random ninja wrote:now, as for this new picture, i'm not sure what those circles on his face are. freckles?
Sure are freckles.
a random ninja wrote: and his right arm looks like it's just hanging down and then someone else's hand is coming out of nowhere and grabbing his knee. other than that, it's not bad. i especially like the vest. the folds look very natural.
I can see that hand thing now, thank you.

gatrosk

Post by gatrosk » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:51 pm

I like the folds and such on the clothing. They look natural like random said. I also agree with his observation that (his) right hand looks detached and out of place. Also the facial anatomy definitely needs some work. Other than that it's a good drawing.
Fate rarely calls upon us at the moment of our choosing. - Optimus Prime

R0B3R7

Post by R0B3R7 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:57 am

[size=0]BITCH, PLEASE...[/size]
would you like the history of digital art in a single post? i hardly think "i don't know how that was done" was specific enough for anyone to point you in the right direction, much less answer.
it was more of a comment. meant to inspire and encourage rather than be a smartass, so piss off, G. and truth be told, you DO have a long way to go. if you don't want the truth, then you should probably go show your pictures to your grandma or four year-old sister.

and yo random, 21313085610835613851184 awesome points for your icon. and thanks for havin' my back, dawg. represent. son.

foo'
dA
“Getting ahead...requires avid faith in yourself. ...Some people with mediocre talent, but with great inner drive, go so much further than people with vastly superior talent.” -Sophia Loren

gatrosk

Post by gatrosk » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:27 pm

R0B3R7 wrote:[size=0]BITCH, PLEASE...[/size]
would you like the history of digital art in a single post? i hardly think "i don't know how that was done" was specific enough for anyone to point you in the right direction, much less answer.
it was more of a comment. meant to inspire and encourage rather than be a smartass, so piss off, G. and truth be told, you DO have a long way to go. if you don't want the truth, then you should probably go show your pictures to your grandma or four year-old sister.

and yo random, 21313085610835613851184 awesome points for your icon. and thanks for havin' my back, dawg. represent. son.

foo'
Too much slang, you're alienating your intended audience.

konflikti

Post by konflikti » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:53 pm

Sup guyse, how does it feel to notice you have just told someone who is few years your senior on these forums who TRS is? A guy who actually was around when TRS was really active, unlike most of you. All this bullshit about him getting snappy is getting me embarassed. Do you really need to get so defensive when somebody gets told? Really now, guys.

For the TRS's picture, I would suggest taking a serious look in colour theory. I mean, the lineart/propotions really is not that special in that particular drawing but the colourwork is pretty cool. He probably just used some specific PS brush and settings.
Why don't we share a solitude? Let's travel alone, together.

Zephio
MWS moderator

Post by Zephio » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:54 pm

Cericcalas , I don't know how TRS specifically does his coloring or artwork. That's something you would have to ask him. Every artist has their own unique style and ways of drawing and coloring, so I really encourage you to look at multiple peoples' drawings to get a feel of what you like.

That being said, a short piece of advice. I've said this before to another artist (as it is a common mistake among beginner 'colorers'), shading is not simply adding black to a color. This causes your work to look muddy and dull. Skin, for example, is made up of multiple pigments. Sometimes a darker area is more brown, sometimes it is more purple, sometimes more green, etc. This is extremely hard to master, and I recommend paying a lot of attention to real-life people to begin to understand this more.

I'll post a more detailed critique on your most recent drawing when I have a little more time on my hands.

R0B3R7

Post by R0B3R7 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:19 pm

gatrosk wrote:
R0B3R7 wrote:[size=0]BITCH, PLEASE...[/size]

foo'
Too much slang, you're alienating your intended audience.
don't hate, son
dA
“Getting ahead...requires avid faith in yourself. ...Some people with mediocre talent, but with great inner drive, go so much further than people with vastly superior talent.” -Sophia Loren

sammy514

Post by sammy514 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:18 pm

Keep on drawing, its all that matter!.... :D Would love to see more of your work...

cericcalas

New art!! huge dump:(check your toilet)

Post by cericcalas » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:56 am

I've been drawing alot more lately. Here's some recent work.

gatrosk

Post by gatrosk » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:56 pm

I really like the pose and angle on the third one, which appears to be in a courtroom?

Anyways, I like the update! (:

R0B3R7

Post by R0B3R7 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:05 pm

Agreed. The foreshortening looks awesome!
The last one is nice too.
dA

rabid panda

Post by rabid panda » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:42 am

for my talent i bathe everyday in pigs blood then i sacrifice a virgin to the mayan gods.

hope this helps

major banana

Post by major banana » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:25 pm

Some of you guys turned into real whiners lately. All jumping on homo right away, like a bunch of kids.

I don't have much advice but noticed your inklines look very sketchy, and it doesn't add to the drawing. You should try to keep them clean and replace the sketchyness with detail. The shopkeep is a good example, the first drawing has a lot of detail (wrinkles, torn cloth, folds) that you can ink sharp and clean without making it look flat or empty. Draw bigger, use thinner pens or liners and take your time.

Try to make the 'dynamics' in your inklines less random. I've had artists tell me to draw thicker lines at the 'shadowy' side, others told me draw them thicker where they meet other inklines, and others used thick lines on the outside, thin on the inside, thin lines for hair, etc. But they all did the same for the entire drawing. Some didn't use dynamic lines at all.

If you're afraid that 'clean and sharp' inking will make it look empty and flat, well if i look at that pic that you were coloring (the woman), i'm sure your coloring will fix it. As long as you keep the inklines in harmony with the color, like it's a whole.

And sometimes a sketch is so good that you might want to trace a copy on a lightbox, instead of inking over the original. Or color straight on the sketch.

For your last drawing: the ONLY thing that model drawing thaught me, is that it really really really helps your drawing look more natural, if you draw the background TOGETHER with the foreground. Treat them as equally important parts of your drawing.