Fire Girl and Little Red

Talk about all art or ask for advice.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta, The Raging Spaniard

Lunar_Raven_Drago

Fire Girl and Little Red

Post by Lunar_Raven_Drago » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:16 am

Hoping to get some feedback on these. There my first digital art ever done. So I'm sure I screwed up on something or multiple somethings. Any advice would be helpful.
Little Red.jpg
Little Red.jpg (69.02 KiB) Viewed 42013 times
Fire Girl.gif
Fire Girl.gif (213.56 KiB) Viewed 42023 times

jeriokelive

Re: Fire Girl and Little Red

Post by jeriokelive » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:55 am

Firstly, let me say that I am not a pro. lol. so take my critique lightly.

I am not going to focus on anatomy. I'll let someone else do that.

I like your backgrounds. Specially the fox fire. The problem I see here is that your background bleeds into your character on the first picture. And that is one of the reasons behind this lengthy instruction set below. lol.

If you read some of the critiques on my stuff you'll notice that varying your line width is important. How you do this depends on your personal style and software. And is the other reason for the lengthy instruction set below =P

Some of the linework leads me to believe that you used a mouse. If you're using a graphics pad, then you're doing everything by hand while zoomed out (possibly too far.) This also happens when working on a android phone, iphone, or ipad without a graphics stylus.

I always recommend working in layers. If you ARE using a phone, try searching for Adobe Ideas. It supports raster and vector layers and is free (if I remember correctly.) It also has support for bluetooth graphics styluses and pressure support.

Start with a draft layer (raster layers are good for this and don't use much memory) and go crazy sketching freehand. I mean go completely nuts with a thin line. Over-do everything, erase what you don't like and do it again. This is where you will want to block out your character.

Once you have a sloppy draft that you like, make a new vector layer. Mess around with the line tool, the pen tool, the curve tool... all of the tools that you have at your disposal, until you have a clean draft that you like, and then hide the messy draft completely. Don't delete it... just hide it and lock it if you can.

Sometimes, you can use the clean draft as your fine-line. But if you want something even more clean, then go ahead and create yet another vector layer. In this layer you are going to want to use your widest line for the outline of your character - but not the hair. Only use this widest line for the outsides of the character as if you're tracing the silhouette. Step down the width and start lining stuff that isn't fine detail. Then step down again and take care of the small detail stuff. For the hair, you want to try to use a line that gradually narrows down towards it's end. It all depends on your software, or if you have a pad supporting pressure sensitivity.

With Manga Studio 5, there is an option to set the start thickness, end thickness, line width at it's thickest, and whether to start narrowing the line according to percentage of line length or for a fixed number of pixels. I never got used to using the pen tool in photoshop and have no experience with paint tool.

Once you have your clean, fine-lined sketch ready for coloring... you can create even more layers for each individual section of the character: shirt, pants, boots, skirt, hair, eyes, blah blah. This allows you to "mask" out other areas of the drawing so that you don't over paint. In MS5, this is done by selecting an area with the wand tool and then right clicking the layer, clicking layer mask and selecting mask out of selection. If you click mask selection instead, you will find that you can't edit what is inside of the area you wanted. Kind of like using "invert selection". Notice, though, that you cannot "fill" with a paint bucket tool in a vector layer, so most of your painting layers will be raster based layers. Please look for a vector layer tutorial to understand the differences between vector and raster layers.

Your first attempt is definitely applaudable. =D> keep it up.

Also, if anyone debunks what I have said here, take their word over mine. I am completely self taught and I am sure that I have some bad habits that I need to break away from.

Lunar_Raven_Drago

Post by Lunar_Raven_Drago » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:12 am

To tell you the truth. I am using a graphic tablet with a laptop. And currently I'm using a free download I got of sketchbook express 6.2 I think it's called. Right now I have one sketch book that I do fast sketchs in maybe it will only be a style of hair or literally an eye. Once I can piece my misfit sketchs together and see the complete picture in my head then I do a full sketch and ink in another sketch book I have. After that I take a picture of it with a digital camera because I don't have scanner. I upload it in my program and get to work from there. Right now because I am just starting out with this whole digital art thing and still trying to get the hang of it, I create another layer on top of that base one and go over all my lines with the ink pen. From there I delete my first layer and leave the one I just did and put it on top. Going from the bottom layers up I work in color with an airbrush then go for shades and so forth. Right now I'm still trying to get shading to come out because so far on like my skin I keep using a color too close to the main one and it keeps blending.

jeriokelive

Post by jeriokelive » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:32 am

Lunar_Raven_Drago wrote:To tell you the truth. I am using a graphic tablet with a laptop. And currently I'm using a free download I got of sketchbook express 6.2 I think it's called. Right now I have one sketch book that I do fast sketchs in maybe it will only be a style of hair or literally an eye. Once I can piece my misfit sketchs together and see the complete picture in my head then I do a full sketch and ink in another sketch book I have. After that I take a picture of it with a digital camera because I don't have scanner. I upload it in my program and get to work from there. Right now because I am just starting out with this whole digital art thing and still trying to get the hang of it, I create another layer on top of that base one and go over all my lines with the ink pen. From there I delete my first layer and leave the one I just did and put it on top. Going from the bottom layers up I work in color with an airbrush then go for shades and so forth. Right now I'm still trying to get shading to come out because so far on like my skin I keep using a color too close to the main one and it keeps blending.
With shading, there should be a setting for your airbrush where you can set it to "darken" or "color burn" try both, but I prefer darken over color burning and I usually have my opacity set to 5% so that I don't overpower the color on my first pass.

I have also done the same process you've mentioned. In the following pic, the pants, shirt, hat, guitar, shoes... everything was drawn separately on different sheets of paper. Digitized and then colored and all in photoshop. This was done before I ever heard of varying line thicknesses and i still have that problem. I just get carried away and forget that detail. Also, I used "darkening" for the shading here.

That one was also done before I got my graphics pad. I also use a camera, unless I've already done the inking... then i take it to my local Du All art store and have them digitize it... large formats are like $6. I did that for this one:

But the arm would not naturally lay like that.

For the shading in that, I used a paintbrush set for darkening, except for the candle-light. There I shaded using color-burn in the dark areas... and overlay for the highlighting.

I am only posting these to show you what the darkening and color burn look like.