Digital just isn't going my way.

Talk about all art or ask for advice.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta, The Raging Spaniard

jeriokelive

Digital just isn't going my way.

Post by jeriokelive » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:46 am

I have a feeling that I might get flamed for this post :oops:

SO I am starting to think that digital drawing isn't for me... Seems no matter how many sketches I do... they all turn out extremely flat looking. Even after attempting to shade them. For instance, two pages of a manga I'm storyboarding in manga studio (and for some reason, storyboarding ends up with me trying to finish the page...) is posted below. I still consider this to be in the drafting stages... I just get carried and jump ahead of myself. Good news is, I work in layers, so the screen tones aren't permanent.

After previewing the post, I realized that photobucket is reducing the size of the pictures automatically... it's screwing with the screen-tones... sorry for that.

The pose I am most worried about is this one. It is SOOOOO flat and I have a feeling that shading it won't do much good. I'm thinking that I will have to take it back to scratch. It just doesn't feel right for the situation. Please don't pick on the eyes... I kinda gave up them while trying to figure out how to salvage the pose.

And I did this one the other day (unrelated to this particular post.) I'm conflicted on her arms. My cousin, a better manga artist than I am, says her arms are too thin. My wife, being completely objective and firmly rooted in "realism" convinced me to convert her original arms into the sleeves in this picture.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Re: Digital just isn't going my way.

Post by Ceta » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:20 pm

Don't worry; no one is going to flame you. This forum is all about helping others, so feel free to post away. ^_^

For the comic page, it's not too much the pose that bothers me as much as the flow of the page. When you take away the dialogue boxes and just look at the page with only the pictures, if you can't understand what's going on, then you have a bit of a problem. For manga, there are panels that are used for dialogue, but they are very few in count that they don't detract from the story told by the surrounding images. Since comics are a visual medium for telling stories, you need to focus more on what's going on underneath the dialogue. Of course, a good balance between dialogue bubbles/boxes/etc. and images is important, but it only works if the foundation (the page layout) is strong.

As for the second image, the arm thickness is fine. The problem that I can see is that the bottom half of her body is too short. If you were to draw her with her arms at her side, her arms would be roughly at the same height as her knees. There are two easy solutions and one pain-in-the-butt solution:

1) Draw her legs coming out from the bottom of the dress, 2) extend the bottom of the dress to the appropriate length (if you're wanting to keep the dress at the length that is covering her feet), and 3) redraw the arms so that they are shorter and fit the proportions set by the body.

The third option contains the most work because you'll also need to rework the size of her head to fit the body's current proportions.

One final note just to comment on the title of the topic. Just like drawing on paper, it takes a lot of time and hard work in order for things to go your way, so don't worry if you're having trouble getting used to things right now. You'll get used to it eventually. If you want to improve quicker, I highly recommend looking at tutorials on YouTube, mimic/utilize the techniques you see and then post the results here for critiques. It'll still take time to reach the skill level you're aiming for, but it'll take far less time than just fiddling around on your own.

jeriokelive

Post by jeriokelive » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:07 pm

Thanks for the critique. And for the encouraging words.

I did remove her legs, because I thought she looked too tall. Now, I'm confident that it won't look weird. She has her teddy, after all. :-)

rabid panda

Post by rabid panda » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:02 am

Ceta hit on pretty much everything. Especially on the second picture.

I guess the only thing I would say is to vary your line thickness and invest in learning more about positive/negative space. Frank Miller is a tremendous artist to see these two concepts in practice. You can do a lot with a little black to make thinks feel more three dimensional.

Also it would probably be better if you picked one thread and posted all your works there, you'll get critiques and it'll be easier to manage.
Follow me on dA and Tumblr:
Deviantart
Tumblr

jeriokelive

Post by jeriokelive » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:21 am

rabid panda wrote:Ceta hit on pretty much everything. Especially on the second picture.

I guess the only thing I would say is to vary your line thickness and invest in learning more about positive/negative space. Frank Miller is a tremendous artist to see these two concepts in practice. You can do a lot with a little black to make thinks feel more three dimensional.

Also it would probably be better if you picked one thread and posted all your works there, you'll get critiques and it'll be easier to manage.

Ah, good point on posting. And thanks for dropping that name. I have re-done the second page (draft only and some very rough sketching just to get my ideas down.)

I'm trying to make sure that I have taken care of the flow issue. Of course, I didn't see your recommendations, rabid panda, until I had already exported these pages. And I don't have any more time available tonight.

And edit: I am having trouble getting my graphics pad to smoothly change my line thickness while drawing. I think that this is because it is a budget pad.

Monoprice MP1060-HA60.
It's stylus has 1024 pressure sensitivity levels
4000 resolution
200 report rate
10"x6" active area

I love the pad itself, it is very accurate.. but I feel like I am having to press the pen down too hard to change thickness and when I do... the thickness becomes too thick for what I want.
I have tried using Manga Studio's pressure sensitivity tool... without much luck.