Requesting Anatomy Critique

Talk about all art or ask for advice.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta, The Raging Spaniard

jeriokelive
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Requesting Anatomy Critique

Post by jeriokelive » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:46 am

I'm looking for believable anatomy here. I want to make sure it's "OK" before starting my clothing and such. I'll be working more on the face later.

Image

SUUUPPPAAA
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:32 am

Re: Requesting Anatomy Critique

Post by SUUUPPPAAA » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:45 pm

Okay! It's not bad, not bad at all. But a few things that you should watch out for:
- The main problem I see here is the head size. The head is too big and must be scaled down towards the body. This is a different case for characters with certain deformities (chibis and such).
- Now from what I can see you have a decent angle down. But for a little advice to nail these angles, imagine your character going to a vanishing point. Draw lines to an imaginary point (no matter how drastic the angle) and use them as guidelines to shape your character. Remember, the higher the angle you go, the less of the character you can potentially see (unless you are going for some crazy foreshortening effect). This is true for low angles as well, but lower angles tend to show more because the head isn't in the way.
- Sketch sketch sketch! Use circles and lines to figure the positions (unless you're doing that already). Circles and lines are your best buds haha. Also try to draw the same angle from different positions. Over and over and over and over and then once more after that! It tedious work but it's worth it in the end. Keep up the good works! :D

jeriokelive
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Requesting Anatomy Critique

Post by jeriokelive » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:03 pm

SUUUPPPAAA wrote:Okay! It's not bad, not bad at all. But a few things that you should watch out for:
- The main problem I see here is the head size. The head is too big and must be scaled down towards the body. This is a different case for characters with certain deformities (chibis and such).
- Now from what I can see you have a decent angle down. But for a little advice to nail these angles, imagine your character going to a vanishing point. Draw lines to an imaginary point (no matter how drastic the angle) and use them as guidelines to shape your character. Remember, the higher the angle you go, the less of the character you can potentially see (unless you are going for some crazy foreshortening effect). This is true for low angles as well, but lower angles tend to show more because the head isn't in the way.
- Sketch sketch sketch! Use circles and lines to figure the positions (unless you're doing that already). Circles and lines are your best buds haha. Also try to draw the same angle from different positions. Over and over and over and over and then once more after that! It tedious work but it's worth it in the end. Keep up the good works! :D
TY. I'll keep workin on it.

jeriokelive
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Requesting Anatomy Critique

Post by jeriokelive » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:11 am

I'll use this thread for my anatomy stuff.

I have an amature contest that a young aspiring manga artist decided to throw on paigeeworld. Of course most of everybody on that app is in their teens, but it's got a couple of really decent artists in it. So, anyway... the theme is "Diva". And this is the blockout I made for it and threw in some details to give the feeling I am looking for.

Something I think I have noticed while capturing it, is that the waist could probably be moved up a tad. I think the torso could be twisted a little more to her right so that it faces the same general direction as the rest of the body.

Image Image

I re-upped it after making some tweaks and adding another position to the legs. I think I want to go with the second position.

jeriokelive
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Requesting Anatomy Critique

Post by jeriokelive » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:20 am

I can imagine that everyone is busy with their own art. I apologize that I am about to seem impatient, and I wouldn't be typing this unless I felt that the critiques have gotten so far have already started to help me improve, and you guys are the next best thing to having a sensei here with me. This particular piece has to be submitted by Jan 31st and I didn't want to commit to line art until I got favorable review, or at least enough info to correct it and take it from there. I will also be coloring and adding a full background to this.

I'm going to start working on the background until I see something here. But I really want to get her fleshed out. I seriously wish my cousin could spare time. lol. But, he doesn't always have time for an amature like me. :cry:

jeriokelive
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Requesting Anatomy Critique

Post by jeriokelive » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:19 pm

And... now I am about to give up. Nothing anyone here did... or didn't do. My fault entirely.

I spent the last 5 or 6 hours working on my background. And I LOVED IT! But, because Manga Studio doesn't have an auto-save feature (at least that I can find...) When I tried to save, the damn software froze up completely and I lost EVERYTHING. I had stage lights that looked lit up with god-like rays and reflections off of the stage... I had a great night sky background and a crowd that I was happy with... /wrists...

My cousin is saying that the upper body's pose is still awkward. I can't see it. Or maybe, I don't want to see it because I've already changed it once?

Brb... throwing a temper tantrum. ](*,)

jeriokelive
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Requesting Anatomy Critique

Post by jeriokelive » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:26 am

ImageImage

I figured I would at least practice my coloring and line widths. Edit: I still like how she turned out, but I don't like the background I submitted it anyway. It's an "unofficial" contest anyway. Didn't help that I only have a 12 piece marker set. =p

User avatar
Zephio
MWS moderator
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:26 am

Re: Requesting Anatomy Critique

Post by Zephio » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:29 pm

Hey jeriokelive.
Sorry for not joining this thread earlier.

I think you're a tad too hard on yourself. The piece looks great. I'd love to see the other entries because yours should make a good run for the winner.

What you have working in your benefit is that you understand anatomy far more than others do. That gives your characters a clean feel to them. They aren't distracting, and I can see them playing with the environment you put them in because I am not focused on why an arm is too long or whatnot.

I'm not going to lie, I have never used manga markers. Ever. So to me, you did a great job with the color of this. Plus, the background is perfect for this picture. It's just enough detail to be interesting and match with the character, and yet it's not distracting. I think your past art experiences help you with this.

Excellent job =D>

jeriokelive
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Requesting Anatomy Critique

Post by jeriokelive » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:53 pm

Zephio wrote:Hey jeriokelive.
Sorry for not joining this thread earlier.

I think you're a tad too hard on yourself. The piece looks great. I'd love to see the other entries because yours should make a good run for the winner.

What you have working in your benefit is that you understand anatomy far more than others do. That gives your characters a clean feel to them. They aren't distracting, and I can see them playing with the environment you put them in because I am not focused on why an arm is too long or whatnot.

I'm not going to lie, I have never used manga markers. Ever. So to me, you did a great job with the color of this. Plus, the background is perfect for this picture. It's just enough detail to be interesting and match with the character, and yet it's not distracting. I think your past art experiences help you with this.

Excellent job =D>
Wow! Thank you!

The markers are Prismacolor in the Manga color set. They're not brush tips, so it's harder to blend them. I have one copic. I'm buying them one at a time, cause that's all I can afford to do.

I won't know how I did, until the 15th or 16th.

jeriokelive
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Requesting Anatomy Critique

Post by jeriokelive » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:44 am

Image

This is a redesign of my OC/female MC, Kiyoshi, from my manga "Hijacked."

I need to work on my "flowing/loose" fabric, but I like it overall. I wanted a Shinto Priestess feel to her, but I wanted her in pants. I wanted a magic-girl feel, but didn't think that cutesy, or massive staves or weapons were her style. She's a healer in the gameworld of Hijacked, and this is what I came up with. There is a lock on her collar that she chooses to wear to reduce the power of her abilities. Though she "chooses" to wear it, she will only remove it when Ichirou tells her to.

When I was drawing her face, the thing I kept thinking... was her whispering "Please! Don't make me do this..." to her enemies.

User avatar
Zephio
MWS moderator
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:26 am

Re: Requesting Anatomy Critique

Post by Zephio » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:23 pm

I love the little details that you put into this while drawing. (Like the fact that you wanted her to wear pants but still be priestess like, or the story about the key and locket with her powers). It makes the drawing more rich than just a random character in an outfit.
Nicely done. What did you use to color this?

jeriokelive
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Requesting Anatomy Critique

Post by jeriokelive » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:06 pm

Zephio wrote:I love the little details that you put into this while drawing. (Like the fact that you wanted her to wear pants but still be priestess like, or the story about the key and locket with her powers). It makes the drawing more rich than just a random character in an outfit.
Nicely done. What did you use to color this?
I sketched it out on paper, captured with my iPhone, and then lined it and colored it with Manga Studio 5.

User avatar
Zephio
MWS moderator
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:26 am

Re: Requesting Anatomy Critique

Post by Zephio » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:42 pm

I've never used a Manga Studio program before. This looks nice. Very clean

jeriokelive
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Requesting Anatomy Critique

Post by jeriokelive » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:48 pm

Zephio wrote:I've never used a Manga Studio program before. This looks nice. Very clean
I used to use Photoshop for everything, but I really dislike the pen tool in PS. My hand isn't steady enough to draw all of the fine-lines with a brush, so Manga Studio's curve, continuous curve, and line tools are a god-send. I have no problem sketching... it's just the fine-lining that I am not steady enough for (my hands shake... a lot.)

When it comes to coloring, I tend to over-use brush tools, so I purposely tried my best to stick with one primary solid color... then using a selection tool to select all of the shadow areas before running a large brush over the whole thing with the "Black Burn" to create those shadows. I have to seriously concentrate and make sure I don't get distracted, in order to follow the K.I.S.S. rule. I had about a hundred more tiny details in this picture before I made the painful decision to delete them. But I remembered some things from "preparing a character for animation" and "Creating a Story Board" tutorials... Too many details and you stop being able to recreate them consistently. K.I.S.S. Lol.

jeriokelive
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Requesting Anatomy Critique

Post by jeriokelive » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:01 am

Image

This won first place in that "unofficial" contest. The 2nd and 3rd place winners where drawn by children, so I guess that goes to show you who I was up against. Yay... but not really. lol.

There is an official contest I am starting a submission for. Grand place is a copic 72A marker set.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests