First art post

Talk about all art or ask for advice.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta, The Raging Spaniard

Lunar_Raven_Drago

First art post

Post by Lunar_Raven_Drago » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:17 pm

Here is something from my sketchbook that is more pure then most. Sorry about the quality of the picture but it was the the best I could do with what I have right now.
Attachments
HNI_0073.JPG
HNI_0073.JPG (33.2 KiB) Viewed 24314 times

SUUUPPPAAA

Re: First art post

Post by SUUUPPPAAA » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:08 am

Not bad, not bad at all. Is is just a random OC or something for a story you're working on? Always interested in new and upcoming talent.

Also suggestions for the drawing. Try to use shading to make the body more rounded and look more three dimensional. Also folds as well. It all helps the character look more and more alive. You also shouldn't worry about coloring just yet. Just practice your sketching and hard lines as much as possible. Draw figure after figure and pose after pose for both men and women. Keep in mind proportions that are not only correct (or near correct) but also ones that individualize and express your character. Look forward to seeing more!! :D

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:25 am

Out of curiosity, what is that she's holding? (Can't really tell because of the picture quality.)

Lunar_Raven_Drago

Post by Lunar_Raven_Drago » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:00 am

As to what she is holding it is a heart surrounded by light.
As to is she something for a story. She is the story. Most people think my mind is a bit odd. When I'm drawing charcters like this one I can see and hear them clearly. I can see where they live, what their like, I know how their story goes. And while I'm drawing I can see the story in my head. But seeing it in my head and making it reality is really tough for me. I can write the story but after a few chapters my passion dies and I move on to another. I've only started doing art about a year and a half maybe two years and I what I've learned is self taught. I tried to draw a manga story once but after one page it was hopeless. I mean the page I did was just sad. Defiently nothing that's going to become anything, just like all my art. Both are worthless to anyone anyhow. So not like it made a differnce. I do have a few pictures where I started experimenting with shadows and folds I just didn't think to upload them. Mostly because I know the quality I'll get uploading them.
I don't know if it makes a differnce or if you have any clue of what I am talking about.(Which most people don't I'm sorry to say.) But I do have a couple of pictures that are a little clearer on the latest art on Manga Workshop. I use the art name Draco Lunara.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:29 am

Yeah, attempting to draw comics when you have very little experience can be hard. However, you shouldn't let that deter you. I've seen quite a few webcomics on the internet where the artist was pretty bad but they wanted to tell their story so they pushed themselves on and continued to take on that challenge and working to increase their drawing knowledge at the same time. It's really interesting reading through and seeing the gradual change over time from where they started and how well they draw now.

Simply put, if you want to make a comic, then make it. Sure, your comic won't be that great at first but if you keep pushing yourself and striving to draw better, you'll get to where you want to be. It'll take time — maybe a year, maybe two, maybe more — so don't be surprised if you don't see much improvement after the first few pages.

Also, if you ever need help, just post the image(s) you're having problems with here in the forums (or a link to the image if you upload it to the main page) and state that you'd like for someone to do a redline critique for you. There are quite a few skilled artists on the board that will do their best to assist if you ask for it.

Zephio
MWS moderator

Post by Zephio » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:47 pm

Ceta wrote:Simply put, if you want to make a comic, then make it.
I'm going to 100% agree with Ceta on this one. Just do it. If your story is interesting, people will read it. (Books and novels don't have any pictures, so the fact that yours will have some will be a HUGE improvement lol).

Also, Ceta was totally correct about you improving. By you starting your comic, you'll be forced to draw it everyday (or every other day). It'll force you to draw the same character. It'll force you to think about varying poses. Varying outfits. Varying settings. And they best way to improve on anything art related is to constantly practice. Starting your comic is the best way!

You may not see improvement at first. But you will. If you want proof, look at ANY long series of manga (such as Samurai Deeper Kyo), and look at the difference between the drawings in the first volume and the last (SDK has 28 volumes). Improvement is inevitable. :lol:

Also, as he said, if you start posting it and need help, this forum has plenty of talented members to help you along the way :)

rabid panda

Post by rabid panda » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:01 pm

I'm going to say the same two things I say to everyone asking for advice: Ensure your anatomy is correct and sketch first.

Anatomy:
Always double check the anatomy! It gets all of us from time to time, myself included. I didn't see any major issues with the anatomy, just giving you a question you should be asking yourself before moving on from sketching.

Sketching:
Always start with a light sketch or a rough if you want to use industry terms. Block out everything that you want to draw in basic shapes, trust me you'll see immediate improvement once you start doing this. It also helps to train you to quickly identify things that don't look right, before you get too invested with the drawing.

I can tell you did this in one swoop, not much in the way of blocking it out.
Follow me on dA and Tumblr:
Deviantart
Tumblr