Sae's Humble Art Corner

Talk about all art or ask for advice.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta, The Raging Spaniard

sae

Sae's Humble Art Corner

Post by sae » Fri May 28, 2010 8:14 am

Hi,

I recently got hold of a graphic tablet and decided I should start drawing. It was pointed out by many that I'm terrible at drawing and that I don't have a natural talent for it, but I'm determined to actually learn to draw properly. So, any tips at all will be welcome. :)

I can't draw well on paper as well, and not on graphic tablet alone. I set a goal to draw at least two pictures a day, but I am not able to keep up with that everyday.

These drawings are mostly for me train my hand to draw while looking at the screen (it's not below my hand after all). So, I'm also coloring them. I'm not confident enough to draw characters yet, not until I train my hand and eyes to draw properly.

Anyway, I'd like lot of tips possible, also how you skilled artists draw lines and curves clearly? I have difficulty in visualizing how things should be and drawing, would appreciate tips in mastering that technique too.

sae

Few drawings to start things off!

Post by sae » Fri May 28, 2010 8:20 am

You guys might not have much input for these, but I'm posting anyway ^^

Shore:

Vase:

Lighthouse:

Palm Tree:

sae

Trying something else...

Post by sae » Sat May 29, 2010 8:17 pm

I felt a little adventurous today and decided to try character drawing...

It doesn't even look anime like, does it? :oops:

R0B3R7

Post by R0B3R7 » Sat May 29, 2010 8:55 pm

Hello, sae.
First of all, kudos for jumping into art!
You've got the right idea for practicing. Just practice a lot! And don't be afraid to try new things. Drawing with pencil and a sketch pad will help you just as much as on the actual tablet.
Keep up the good work!

Also, try to draw from life if you can. It's a great way to improve your anatomical accuracy as well as get down values.
dA
“Getting ahead...requires avid faith in yourself. ...Some people with mediocre talent, but with great inner drive, go so much further than people with vastly superior talent.” -Sophia Loren

PabloZombie

Post by PabloZombie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:24 pm

Hello there! its very nice that you already have a tablet! thats a big step when it comes to digital illustration!

Practice drawing a lot specially by copying other images during your early stages, it helps both your hands and eyes get used to the artistic process.
Check out my Webmanga!

sae

Trying something...

Post by sae » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:06 pm

Hi again,

To be honest, I haven't gotten around practicing much. :oops:

It's been a while since I last posted something. This is probably my last character attempt till I really learn how to draw. I guess first step would be (as suggested) to draw by copying other images till I learn the whole process.

Though this may be my best drawing yet, I don't feel that proud because of the steps involved - not to mention the amount of time it took.

I’m sure I got the proportions/perspective wrong, any suggestions to fix them will be great – that will give me an excuse to color it. :)

Caffeine

Post by Caffeine » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:51 pm

It's much better than last time, but her hips look REALLY wide with how you've drawn her shirt, but then her butt doesn't fit it. Her torso seems a bit too long, too. The head looks off because her expression doesn't fit onto her face.
I'm amazed you only try to draw with a tablet, the pen is too big and top heavy for me to do anything precise with it, particularly inking.
You can't get rid of me.
Deviantart: here

R0B3R7

Post by R0B3R7 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:39 am

agreed. drawing traditionally and digitally are super wound together. you should practice just sketching with paper and pencil and see where it gets you. not only will it be easier to catch on, it's much more convenient.
dA
“Getting ahead...requires avid faith in yourself. ...Some people with mediocre talent, but with great inner drive, go so much further than people with vastly superior talent.” -Sophia Loren

sae

Post by sae » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:40 am

Thanks for the advice guys! Sorry for not not replying sooner, I was playing a new mmorpg and forgot all about drawing - guess it goes to show I haven't disciplined myself well. :oops:

I believe I seriously have to consider drawing from life and I guess I'll start with things around my house. The part of practicing on traditional paper is difficult for me as I'm concerned about wasting paper... I know it somewhat sounds silly, but whenever I get a blank book or paper and start to sketch I feel "am I just wasting paper?" This is the whole reason I got hold of graphic tablet.

Caf, I agree with what you're saying, the pen is too big and It hardly has any friction on tablet. I almost gave up when I first tried out the tablet.

I guess I'll just have to try to do my best with tablet for now, and follow my original goal of drawing at least two pictures per day. :)

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:08 pm

What MMO are you playing?

R0B3R7

Post by R0B3R7 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:57 pm

Don't think about paper being wasted, because in the end, it's not being wasted, it's being utilized. Every piece of paper you draw something on makes you that much better.
dA

cericcalas

Post by cericcalas » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:39 pm

Your human drawings are pretty good for not having much experience drawing. and the pose on the most recent is nice. If you are interested in getting better, head over to the resources sticky: http://mangaworkshop.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1653. It has a list of places around the net that have tutorials and images that others have found useful for developing their skills.
About your most recent drawing: Humans have large forheads. If you think it looks too big, it's probably about right. If the hairline were higher, it probably would have looked that much better, and the face wouldn't look squished. The clothing in a seated position is likely to fold. I think you size of the hips wouldn't look as large had you drawn a fold into her shirt at the stomach. Drawing clothing/material thrown over a chair or lamp, or whatever, is a good way to learn about folds. Keep up drawing twice a day and you'll find that you get a lot better. Studying how others use their lines is another good way. I generally draw my best after i look through some awesome drawings(usually from TRS and AIKUZA) and take some notes, then draw.

rabid panda

Post by rabid panda » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:18 pm

this site http://www.posemaniacs.com will provide you with lots of anatomically correct poses to assist you with getting the basics of the human form down.

sae

Post by sae » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:49 pm

Ceta wrote:What MMO are you playing?
Aion. I find that it's not as good as the hype would suggest, but I'm looking forward to it's promising updates.
R0B3R7 wrote:Don't think about paper being wasted, because in the end, it's not being wasted, it's being utilized. Every piece of paper you draw something on makes you that much better.
Guess you are right. I'll try to get a little more better and then try practicing on paper so that I won't feel too guilty.
cericcalas wrote:Your human drawings are pretty good for not having much experience drawing. and the pose on the most recent is nice. If you are interested in getting better, head over to the resources sticky: http://mangaworkshop.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1653. It has a list of places around the net that have tutorials and images that others have found useful for developing their skills.
About your most recent drawing: Humans have large forheads. If you think it looks too big, it's probably about right. If the hairline were higher, it probably would have looked that much better, and the face wouldn't look squished. The clothing in a seated position is likely to fold. I think you size of the hips wouldn't look as large had you drawn a fold into her shirt at the stomach. Drawing clothing/material thrown over a chair or lamp, or whatever, is a good way to learn about folds. Keep up drawing twice a day and you'll find that you get a lot better. Studying how others use their lines is another good way. I generally draw my best after i look through some awesome drawings(usually from TRS and AIKUZA) and take some notes, then draw.
Thanks. I'll have a look at the thread/topic. Folds always give me trouble, whenever I imagine them - they seem natural, but I can't seem to get them right when I try to draw. I'll have a look at some good drawings to get a better idea. I'll work on getting the folds right.
rabid panda wrote:this site http://www.posemaniacs.com will provide you with lots of anatomically correct poses to assist you with getting the basics of the human form down.
Thanks! I have a feeling this is going to help me a lot in getting better idea of poses. :)