Portfolio
Twitter
Tumblr

rabid panda

Post by rabid panda » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:58 am

bald dudes rocking some serious chops there

gatrosk

Post by gatrosk » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:04 pm

Looking hella tight so far man. Although I must say that bald guy's eyes look kind of lopsided. :O
Fate rarely calls upon us at the moment of our choosing. - Optimus Prime

The Raging Spaniard
Awsome Moderator

Post by The Raging Spaniard » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:21 am

Modeled and textured a prop from the Warhammer MMO :)

Xavier Garcia

Concept Artist

Portfolio
Twitter
Tumblr

gatrosk

Post by gatrosk » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:57 am

Thats tight dude. I really like the cartoonesque style you apply to your 3d diffuse maps. :D Excellent.

R0B3R7

Post by R0B3R7 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:47 am

Loooove the third picture of the girl. Very dynamic and the coloring is spot on.
dA
“Getting ahead...requires avid faith in yourself. ...Some people with mediocre talent, but with great inner drive, go so much further than people with vastly superior talent.” -Sophia Loren

Joybringa

Post by Joybringa » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:35 pm

okay putting all other drama aside for a second here, I think your works is pretty cool lol. You may have noticed but I am not a consumate proffessionalist so if you dont mind the stuff I say may be a little of the bat but.....

I particularly like the first picture i find that the ink really makes each one stand out individually if seperated im sure they would look just as good but maybe some colour would add an extra factor.

The others remind me some-what of wow fan art lol but I happen to like fan art so its a compliment :D
I would say though that the last Nerf guy you have (the big BIG one) looks a little less well constructed regarding the face area.

otherwise bloody good stuff sir (i want your talent..you must give it to me! :P )

EDIT: lol in careful consideration I have just realised that I was yammering on about the first page and didnt see all 12 other pages of this....

so ignore what i said before.....apart from the being good and giving me your talent stuff cause that i meant! :D

Please don't double-post. Use the 'Edit' button. Thanks. --Ceta

The Raging Spaniard
Awsome Moderator

Post by The Raging Spaniard » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:52 pm

Painted up some oooold Shadow of the Colossus fanart

Xavier Garcia

Concept Artist

Portfolio
Twitter
Tumblr

The Raging Spaniard
Awsome Moderator

Post by The Raging Spaniard » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:34 am

I'm currently attending Anime Banzai, a fun little Convention here in Layton. It's my first time selling prints so it's been a bit of a learning process to experience firsthand what sells and what doesn't. From what I can see, especially for smaller venues like this one, is that you should have a healthy collection of fanart ready. Yesterday when I cam home I printed some old Chrono Trigger images and today I figured I could benefit from a few prints of a Final Fantasy X-2 piece I did a few years back.

So, came home, opened the file and went "ugh, no way". I remembered that this was one of the first pieces I had ever colored on the computer, and it was with a mouse ... nevermind that it shows a lack of Photoshop knowledge. Curiously I opened the file with the pencils and surprised myself by not only how well they held up, but how much BETTER they were than anything I have penciled in years! So, I figured I had a couple of hours before bedtime, so some quick colors over the old pencils would probably be an improvement over the old art.

And heres the old image, for reference :)

I printed a couple of these. A large one at 13 by 19 inches and a regular one at 8 1/2 by 11 inches. Hopefully they sell, but if not then at least I have a new piece to show around :)
Xavier Garcia

Concept Artist

Portfolio
Twitter
Tumblr

gatrosk

Post by gatrosk » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:34 pm

Wow, so much better than the original. Your use of hue and saturation seems to have improved vastly.

Zephio
MWS moderator

Post by Zephio » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:11 am

Wow, so much better than the original. Your use of hue and saturation seems to have improved vastly.
So has your use of color. 8)

The Raging Spaniard
Awsome Moderator

Post by The Raging Spaniard » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:53 am

Its late so, with apologies, I'm just gonna copy/paste from my blog:

Apologies for the delay between blog posts. I've been busy with either bigger projects or small art edits and random life stuff that, sadly, don't concern this blog.

Anyways, this last week I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to deliver an art test for Gameloft. They're a good company and I'm excited about the possibility to join them ... but first I have to prove if I can help them.

I thought this was a good chance to show some interesting process stuff, so first off here is the screenshot they gave me to work with. It's amazingly helpful to work off of 3D captures because it helps ground the whole piece down, answers any perspective issues you might have and sets the location of lights and shadows. If you have access to any 3D package I highly recommend laying out a simple 3D scene for you to paint over.

I had a few design parameters to work with. I'm not going to disclose those because thats not really my business. By the end of about 3 and a half work days, this is what I ended with.

I also made an animated .gif showing the progression. You can see that first and foremost I tried to set the mood, what was visible in the highlighted area and then I moved from the inside out. That way my focal point stayed clear and I could concern about adding detail without stressing about whether the viewers focus would shift. Later I added some vines and foreground elements to guide the viewer a bit more clearly.

With concept pieces, even when they're more polished as usual, you still have to keep in mind that these are not really illustrations. Concept pieces need to convey not only the mood you'll experience while playing the game, but also the view, the camera, the gameplay elements. In this piece its all very simple, but you get the idea that the player is not supposed to leave that path and for the most part the view is not obstructed (the big rock in the foreground being an exception but animating it with some parallax movement in mind would ensure it doesn't block the characters on screen).
Xavier Garcia

Concept Artist

Portfolio
Twitter
Tumblr

Yaz

Post by Yaz » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:58 pm

Damn dude , pretty inspirational. Thanks for doing the animation. And I never thought about layin a basic scene out in 3D I'll try that in my next project.

Best of luck on the job.

Zephio
MWS moderator

Post by Zephio » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:24 pm

You did a fantastic job; best of luck with the job offer.

As a side note: I think that mangworkshop should do a little contest-esque thing just like this. No prize. Just to spark up some creativity which is few and far between in this forum of late.

gatrosk

Post by gatrosk » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:52 am

I agree with Zeph. The last collab kinda fell apart because I think it seemed a little daunting to people.
Something small would be cool, that didn't interfere too much with everyone's daily schedules. ^_^

Anywho, RTS, this is by far the best peice I've seen of yours. Both in composition and rendering. Wonderful job. I realize its a tough industry out there, but I have a hard time believeing anyone brough back something better than this. Great work and best of luck.