strathmore!

Talk about all art or ask for advice.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta, The Raging Spaniard

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:34 pm

good, good. i'll try to come up with a basic history of the town of strathmore (assuming rob's ok with us using that name).

leonprimrose

Post by leonprimrose » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:43 pm

a random ninja wrote:good, good. i'll try to come up with a basic history of the town of strathmore (assuming rob's ok with us using that name).
it should be a town of type of artisans. since Strathmore is an art material brand name

Wandering_Musician

Post by Wandering_Musician » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:56 am

any chance I can get in on this?
I think it gives me a chance to practice drawing comics without creating my own series...basically less commitment needed lol
so is someone going to come out with a map for this place as well?
also, this is probably thinking way too far in advance, but could a character passing through on an adventure come into the story? the whole outsider looking in thing works well I think. They relate to the outsider who matters, the reader. sooo...maybe we can have an intro chapter/ a few panels with this new character?
dunno, just throwing an idea out there

R0B3R7

Post by R0B3R7 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:37 am

umm, just a couple things to say

first, of course you can use strathmore =]

i think we should be less limiting in some ways:
-why make a map? i mean, sure there will probably be some common places people go to and everything, but seriously i don't think a map would be very essential or helpful.
-communities don't work without people who aren't artisans. i mean, theoretically they could, but it just doesn't happen that way. besides, i think the whole artisan idea can be a little cliche in the whole fantasy world imo. i mean, the blacksmith, the farmer...

alsoooo (not to be taking charge of the whole situation or anything),i would encourage everyone to not have like 629487 characters, because i'm fairly sure it's going to be tough enough to keep everyone's straight haha.
dA
“Getting ahead...requires avid faith in yourself. ...Some people with mediocre talent, but with great inner drive, go so much further than people with vastly superior talent.” -Sophia Loren

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:01 am

at this point, i agree with rob. we don't need a map. but if the region/world grows large enough, then we probably will need one just to keep track of things, know which direction certain things are, etc.

as for the artisan thing, there would undoubtedly be artisans of varying types, but i was thinking that strathmore would be a capital or something. a fairly large town with all sorts of different people in it.

to wandering: of course you're welcome to join. but there is no main story for an outsider to wander into. it's just all centered on this town. everybody makes their own characters and their own stories, just based in and around this city. i'd like to see characters cross over and interact and things, but there's no main plot or anything.

now where the hell is gat? i saw he posted a few things, so i know he's here somewhere.

Caffeine

Post by Caffeine » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:41 pm

Strathmore sounds so western to me.

I recommend starting a wiki to keep details straight, once you have some.
You can't get rid of me.
Deviantart: here

Wandering_Musician

Post by Wandering_Musician » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:26 pm

lol ok no map then
though, I still think that the town should be somewhat recognizable in each persons manga. I mean, having the own artists twists on it would be awesome, but should we have at least like a town square or some unifying feature? maybe something unique and totally ridiculous like the steam iron from FLCL? I dont want to put any creative limits on it either, but I think there should be at least some cohesiveness. otherwise, we all may end up creating totally different worlds. (or is that the idea? lol)
btw, this totally reminds me of Astro City http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astro_City

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:53 pm

no no the idea is for everyone to use the same world, and have their own characters play out in their own stories. with occasional crossovers and whatnot.

rob and i were just saying we don't need a whole map yet. we're just starting with the city, so for the time being, that's all we need to worry about. but i agree the city needs to be consistent throughout. so perhaps we should put together a rough design/diagram of the city so we have something to work with there. and as more locations around the city pop up, we'll look into putting together a map.

also, yeah i can see how this would remind you of astro city, after reading about it. that's cool, though, i might have to check that out.

gatrosk

Post by gatrosk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:28 pm

Here I am!

Sorry I haven't posted on this thread yet random, hope you don't feel too left out. Usually it takes me a couple seconds to post something mindless and hence I posted on nearly all the other threads except this one. My reason is that I'd like to contribute something intelligent when I do post lol.

Anywho, like someone said eariler the whole society of artisans thing is overplayed pretty often. In my opinion Strathmore should be like the fantasy/steampunk version of Sparta. A militaristic society that rules over the nearby towns and areas and such. One, or several, people could have their stories be in Strathmore and such, while several others could have their stories in surrounding areas that are under the military rule of Strathmore's armies and such.

Just an idea, but I think that breaking from the norm is refreshing now and again.

And about a map it's generally a good idea to make one before you get to into the setting and such, otherwise things tend to overlap, get confused, and inconsistencies tend to start popping up within the setting. I can imagine this would especially be true when there are seperate stories being created within the same world.

Well, that's my input.
Fate rarely calls upon us at the moment of our choosing. - Optimus Prime

Sedystra

Post by Sedystra » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:18 pm

I'm liking Gat's idea more than the artisan-town.

It's also a setting that'd be pretty easy to fit into what I'm going for. =3
"until he was die but was not until the assassin was die before him/his death that was dead." -Isamu

gatrosk

Post by gatrosk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:41 pm

>.>

oh boy.

konflikti

Post by konflikti » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:15 pm

Sounds cool. I might make up some character sketches and stuff but considering my general laziness I won't probably make a comic in this setting.
Why don't we share a solitude? Let's travel alone, together.

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:18 pm

for the most part, your idea's fine. and yeah, from the get-go it was in and around strathmore. it doesn't have to always be inside the city. i agree that we'll need a map to keep track of things...at some point. but not right away. we start in strathmore, and people can add areas and such. the point is to build it up as we go along. so maybe it starts with just strathmore in the center, then as new areas are created by people, we'll add them to the ever-growing map. still, though, i think at least a basic diagram of the city itself is needed.

gatrosk

Post by gatrosk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:47 pm

Agreed.

Zephio
MWS moderator

Post by Zephio » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:25 am

I really think you all should just start it. Stop discussing all this crap that, although you may think is very important, is not. It's a cool idea. Go with it. Half of you will not actually participate anyway/get bored too soon, and leave the project. Meanwhile the few people left can solve said issues you've been discussing when they arise (and not now, for that leads to 10 forum pages of bickering and useless discussion and no actual drawn pages- see Collab 3 and 4 for more details)

Although one thing you should discuss VERY briefly, is a time-period (as that is one issue BOUND to rise up) :wink: