strathmore!

Talk about all art or ask for advice.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta, The Raging Spaniard

a random ninja

strathmore!

Post by a random ninja » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:46 am

i had this awesome idea. and by 'i had this awesome idea' i mean someone else had this awesome idea and i stole it from them. well, it's not something that could really be stolen. more like i decided it was so awesome i'd like to try something similar.

ANYWAY

here's the premise: this project would basically be a sort of collaboration. but not like the old collabs from this site. we wouldn't be contributing a few pages to a single comic. rather, everyone involved would create their own characters and make their own comics. now you're probably thinking 'how is this a collaborative project, you stupid idiot.' and the answer is this: we would share a world. well, it would probably start out as more of a region than an entire world. but all of these characters would be acting out their stories in this shared universe. as more comics are made, the region will expand and perhaps grow into a whole world. eventually. but we'd start small.

now, just because everyone would be making their own comics with their own characters doesn't mean that the setting is the only thing tying it together. ideally, i'd like to see crossovers, cameos and interaction. it'd be interesting to see various characters show up in other people's stories, and drawn in that person's style. there would be some stipulations with that, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. it would be sort of like an mmorpg, only it's comics instead of a video game.

so, would anyone be interested in doing something like this? i got the idea from 'illyham' (google is your friend). it never seemed to get too far off the ground, and this may not either. but it's a brilliant concept and i just fell in love with it. so let me know if anyone'd like to give this a shot. if there are any takers, we can go over some basic guidelines and such. oh, and one more thing. i'm planning for this to be like a fantasy kind of setting. i'm not sure what level of technology it would have and all that stuff, but again, we'll light that firecracker when we come to it.
Last edited by a random ninja on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

leonprimrose

Post by leonprimrose » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:54 am

I love the idea! I think it would be awesome to do :) I can't guarantee how often I'd be able to work on it but just doing an inked page for this every now and then would be fun as hell :D first thing's first though. we need a setting and vague history of the area. that way we're able to build off it and work off each others' stuff to really pull it all together

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:36 am

woo hoo! yeah i mean it doesn't have to be on a regular schedule or anything...just whenever you have time. i've never made an actual full-blown comic page in my life, so...lol we'll see how i do with this. i just thought it was a really cool idea, and it inspired me.

a few points i want to stress:
-we'd need to start small. as i said, just a region. it will grow as we go along. in illyham, it's centered on just the one town. maybe we should even go with that. we would need a bit of history for this town/region, though, as you said.
-interaction isn't mandatory...if you just want your characters to be off doing their own thing, fine. but i'd love to see some crossovers and shit. and anytime there are crossovers, the creators of all characters involved would probably need to discuss it.
-there is no overarching main plot. just several smaller plots that would be completely up to the individual creators. again, hopefully with crossovers and such.

R0B3R7

Post by R0B3R7 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:46 am

dude, sounds sweet =]
with school starting thursday (X_X) though i don't know how much time i'll be able to put into this.
maybe just pencils and stuff though :D
dA
“Getting ahead...requires avid faith in yourself. ...Some people with mediocre talent, but with great inner drive, go so much further than people with vastly superior talent.” -Sophia Loren

leonprimrose

Post by leonprimrose » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:29 am

any page I do will prolly either be just penciled or maybe as far as inked. depending on the time I have.

ok for the area watcha think?
How about a non-victorian steampunk setting?

DavidLeMenteur

Post by DavidLeMenteur » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:54 am

I'd really love to be a part of this if I can, but I have a fair amount of projects going on right now. When is this going to get started? :D

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:16 am

it can start any time, really. i'm going to create a term here and call this an individualistic collaboration =] so really, anyone who wants to participate can start as soon as we get a few details down. i like steampunk, so let's go with a fantasy/steampunk setting. maybe sort of like final fantasy VI. i don't want to put a lot of restrictions on that, so use your own judgment. just try not to go too overboard with the technology. we'll start with a town, so any suggestions for names and brief details are welcomed.

oh, and don't worry about not being able to contribute all the time. i'm about to start back to school myself, and i have to work too. so i'm in the same boat as you guys. like i said, this isn't something that needs to follow any sort of schedule or meet any deadlines. work at your own pace, do whatever you'd like to do or have time to do. i just thought it'd be really cool if we could all do our individual things, but base it around this town/region and have some crossovers and interaction between our characters.

yay, i'm excited! i'm glad you guys are showing some interest =]

R0B3R7

Post by R0B3R7 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:59 pm

strathmore
like the paper =P
dA
“Getting ahead...requires avid faith in yourself. ...Some people with mediocre talent, but with great inner drive, go so much further than people with vastly superior talent.” -Sophia Loren

Sedystra

Post by Sedystra » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:03 pm

Is there a general rating (PG, M, etc.) we have to adhere to? =/
Or can I go wild with it? O=)
"until he was die but was not until the assassin was die before him/his death that was dead." -Isamu

R0B3R7

Post by R0B3R7 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:41 pm

G for you
lol

and if we don't use strathmore as the town name, dibs on the name >_>
dA

Sedystra

Post by Sedystra » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:45 pm

R0B3R7 wrote:G for you
lol

and if we don't use strathmore as the town name, dibs on the name >_>
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF--
There goes the prostitute idea. =/
"until he was die but was not until the assassin was die before him/his death that was dead." -Isamu

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:48 pm

Rob wrote:strathmore
i like that. it's got my vote. if you'd rather use it for yourself, though, we can come up with something else.
Sedy wrote:Is there a general rating (PG, M, etc.) we have to adhere to? =/
i may regret saying this, but...have at it, sir.

leonprimrose

Post by leonprimrose » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:53 pm

a random ninja wrote:
Sedy wrote:Is there a general rating (PG, M, etc.) we have to adhere to? =/
i may regret saying this, but...have at it, sir.
I can see it now.
Sedy's Girls Gone Wild: Strathmore steampunk edition

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:45 pm

don't give him any ideas!

hey...this would be the perfect place to put pasty eddie! i'll work out a design for him at work today.

Sedystra

Post by Sedystra » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:08 pm

Win. I'mma get started on character designs, story, and such. @_@