Something amiss in Leon's Artwork((Page 4))

Talk about all art or ask for advice.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta, The Raging Spaniard

leonprimrose

Post by leonprimrose » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:33 am

It's been a while but I've been puttin' along. Here's something newer of mine to update and stuff

also, Black Out
new albeit hastily put together. More to come when I find the damn cables for my scanner which mysteriously got lost in the move back home after I graduated XP If nothing else I'll just take photos

Kyrasity

Post by Kyrasity » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:05 am

Your comic is sooo cute! I like it alot. Keep at it.

leonprimrose

Post by leonprimrose » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:16 pm

leonprimrose

Re: Leon's Sketchpad ver 2.0 (now with antioxidants!(New on

Post by leonprimrose » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:55 pm

Hey guys :) It's been a while since I've been here. I like the changes to the forum layout. It's nice :)

Anyway, I'm back and trying to improve myself further but I feel that I am at an impasse with my ability for the time being and I don't want to wait for it to clear. I want to press forward hard as I can. So, this'll be a pretty long list of images, Sorry, I gotta make sure this is all updated :P Here we go then :)

leonprimrose

Re: Leon's Sketchpad ver 3.0 (Hi again!(Updates on Page 4)))

Post by leonprimrose » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:09 am

http://3wishes.smackjeeves.com

I'll just leave this here

deragoku

Post by deragoku » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:51 am

I think you did a good job, especially in the folds of the shirt. I placed in the pocket a little confused.

leonprimrose

Post by leonprimrose » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:32 am

Update:

http://jc-mraz.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4xfhfh

http://i.imgur.com/F02SA.jpg

Been undergoing a style change since early in the year. This is unfinished. working on the finished version currently

gonnonnette

Commander Naz Arts

Post by gonnonnette » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:57 pm

your drawings are awesome

but I have a question, um I wanted to put up art I did but how do I do spoiler tags?

Ceta
MWS moderator

Re: Commander Naz Arts

Post by Ceta » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:34 am

gonnonnette wrote:I wanted to put up art I did but how do I do spoiler tags?
Sorry, but this board doesn't support spoiler tags. If you're going to post art, there are two things you need to do:

1) Make your own thread. Don't post your art in someone else's art thread.

2) Post your art using either HTML links or the board's IMG tags.

Zephio
MWS moderator

Post by Zephio » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:57 pm

Leon, that recent sketch of yours with the tree is lookin' great so far. Can't wait to see an update on the progress.

leonprimrose

Post by leonprimrose » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:05 am

Hell, it's been a long time since I've been on here.

Thank you Zephio :) I'm actually using that sketch on something specific so you will definitely see it finished (I never finished the original passed a sketch lol)

I've been going a lot further with my stuff. If you don't know of it I have had a webcomic called 3 Wishes for a while now. It updates Mondays. http://3wishes.smackjeeves.com
I keep myself several months ahead of it so what you see is usually half a year old pretty much lol

What brought me back is a plateau I feel that I've hit. I'm technically much better and I try to outdo myself with every story arc I draw for my comic. An artist ceases to be an artist when he stops improving, as they say. But something is wrong. My characters aren't memorable. They lack life and soul. When I look at them all I see are mannequins now. Improving on a technical level isn't enough anymore and I don't know where to go from here. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Below is a newer work. Still a small amount out of date but it's close enough to be representative of my ability for the most part(coloring is brand spanking new, as in a few days ago new, but the art is a month or 2 out. not far enough that I would call it bad like I do when I look at the stuff that is currently updating lol)

major banana

Re: Something amiss in Leon's Artwork((Page 4))

Post by major banana » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:02 pm

Yea your characters kinda lack ''swing''. Looks like you need a good load of Stan Lee advice! Exaggerate your poses a little and it'll instantly look more lively. If you have a strong guy standing there, put his chest up a little and spread his legs and shoulders back and he'll look more imposing. If you got an old guy, hunch him a little and bend his knees etc, you get the picture. Pose influenced by character.

(i should read your webcomic before saying something but i do it anyway) Your characters just stand there, there's no background either and that doesn't help. I flipped some pages and it's obviously not an action comic but even when it's trippy and mostly dialogue, you gotta give it life! Go find 'deedlits tale' and read em both and you'll see how that artist handles the trippy mind parts. Also watch Serial experiments Lain, that anime is a great example on how to cover what you can't show with conventional ''character action + text balloon''. You can really go wild here.

In fact that seems to be your biggest problem. Loosen up! Go wild! No stiffness!

leonprimrose

Re: Something amiss in Leon's Artwork((Page 4))

Post by leonprimrose » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:29 pm

The white space I explain away. lol it's a copout but my recent plans have been to introduce real and full backgrounds. The most recent arc I started doing it a little bit. and the arc following that almost entirely takes place in an area that will have a full background. You're definitely right about them being stiff. I've been having a hard time changing it XD I feel like my work is mostly lousy to its core and built up and awful habits. My current plan is to drop everything about style and comicking and start drawing from life/pictures again