Doodles Updated

Talk about all art or ask for advice.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta, The Raging Spaniard

Shin

Post by Shin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:38 am

Primitive Dark Warrior with slightly sad eyes :D lol

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/ ... arrior.jpg

a random ninja
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by a random ninja » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:01 am

Excalibur wrote:Yay! Finally somebody with authority tells him to stop.
you sure seem happy about that. if he was really bothering you that much, you could've just ignored him. you flinging shit back didn't help either. oh, and after reading one of your posts from earlier in this thread, i wouldn't recommend ANYTHING by christopher hart. just so everyone knows.

anyway, shin, i've seen a lot of improvement just over the course of this thread. keep up the good work!

Excalibur
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Excalibur » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:12 pm

i wouldn't recommend ANYTHING by christopher hart.
Why? That specific book is a newer one which is actually more like Japanese manga rather then American manga.
Primitive Dark Warrior with slightly sad eyes Very Happy lol

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/ ... arrior.jpg
His ear reminds me of Pain...
"I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born." -Ronald Reagan

If you believe the big bang, please consider this http://tiny.cc/QAzgk

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:22 am

a random ninja wrote:i wouldn't recommend ANYTHING by christopher hart.
I endorse this comment.

Christopher Hart is a fail.

Nice work Shin! When I'm on sometime in the week you have to show me all your sketches.

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:11 am

Excalibur wrote:
i wouldn't recommend ANYTHING by christopher hart.
Why? That specific book is a newer one which is actually more like Japanese manga rather then American manga.
to put it quite bluntly, because christopher hart just isn't that good. sorry, it has to be said.

Excalibur

Post by Excalibur » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:49 pm

Well he's better then me and his book helped. I don't get how he's so bad.
"I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born." -Ronald Reagan

konflikti

Post by konflikti » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:31 pm

Excalibur wrote:Well he's better then me and his book helped. I don't get how he's so bad.
Probably because he is one of those western artists that jumped the "how-to-draw-manga" band-wagon when anime and manga became popular to get good cash for little effort.

The thing with how-to-draw-manga books is that they teach totally wrong approach to drawing. They teach how to mimic some style but never tell why stuff looks like that. What is some expression based on, why there should be wrinkles where they are and so forth.
Why don't we share a solitude? Let's travel alone, together.

monkey

Post by monkey » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:26 pm

really nice pics, do you plan to leave them as doodles or are you going to color them?

Excalibur

Post by Excalibur » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:39 pm

The thing with how-to-draw-manga books is that they teach totally wrong approach to drawing. They teach how to mimic some style but never tell why stuff looks like that. What is some expression based on, why there should be wrinkles where they are and so forth.
Well, the books besides the one I have are more like American manga. I never really encountered that in any books I have. The book I have actually doesn't even really tell you how to draw everything, just has stuff and has some how to draw X kind of characters, like some shounin characters, classic manga characters, anthros, etc. No real how to draw since it's "For the Beginner" it even says that specifically in the book. My other book actually has a whole little thing on wrinkles.

Shin

Post by Shin » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:01 am

I can't use my tablet right now so I guess they'll stay as doodles for a while :roll: @ Monkey

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:14 am

Excalibur wrote:Well he's better then me and his book helped. I don't get how he's so bad.
i'm sure he's better than a lot of people. that doesn't mean that he's good. but if his book helps you, by all means, use it. but personally i've read some of his books, and they didn't do shit for me.

Excalibur

Post by Excalibur » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:47 pm

Did you read the specific book I was talking about? Also, if they didn't teach you anything maybe it's cause you already learned that specific thing?

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:18 pm

no, i haven't read that specific one, but i've read some others of his and didn't care much for them. and i don't care much for his art style in general. but to be fair, i suppose i could try taking a look at this one...if i ever see it in a bookstore, that is. i'm certainly not going to order it after i didn't like his other stuff.

t1

Post by t1 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:48 pm

the dark warrior looks cool. :) I can see through that page to the drawings one the next those look good too.

Def Character
Mod-Squad Captain

Post by Def Character » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:34 pm

Wanna talk Christophers books? take it to the general section or art talk section not in Shin's thread. :evil: