Ceta's Art and Stuff - Updated April 24, 2014

Talk about all art or ask for advice.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta, The Raging Spaniard

Ceta
MWS moderator

Kamenashi

Post by Ceta » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:01 pm

Kamenashi from the Johnny's group "Kat-Tun". (The reference picture, in case you're wondering how close I was to the original. Quite off if you ask me.)

This is the last portrait request I'll be doing. In addition to having pretty much zero free time until the end of the school term, I really want to take a long break from portraits and work on building up my illustrative skills. I'm getting slightly better at characters and character design, but I need to work more on getting comfortable with poses as well as drawing scenery.

Anyway, I'll update with more later. For the next week or so, I'll be working on one last student request. Thankfully, it's just fanart of a manga series, so it should be a little more interesting. Unfortunately, I've never drawn fanart for the series, so it might prove to be a bit on the challenging side. Not sure yet, though, so we'll see.

==============
Time taken: 20+ hours
Mediums: Pencil and eraser

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:02 pm

fantastic. and i wouldn't say 'quite off.' a little off, sure, but it still looks awesome. good work.

4Leaf

Post by 4Leaf » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:23 pm

Very good. Your hands are quite good! I wish I could draw hands that good!... Ugh... I struggle with those so much. I spend hours on them and they always look like garbage. But good job

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:58 pm

Sorry for the late replies. I thought I had written them, but I guess not.

@ninja: ^_^ Thanks. I'd be much happier if I could be more around 100% whenever I draw stuff. Shows that realism still isn't my strong suit. I plan to keep practicing, but I think for now I need to take a bit of a break.

@4leaf: I struggle with hands as well, actually. I need to practice more.

====================

Update:

Student request. Fanart for the series ToLoveる ~Trouble~. From left-to-right, Sairenji Haruna, Konjiki no Yami (Yami-chan) and Lala.

Took a lot longer than expected to complete this one. I've never drawn fanart for this series before, so getting the hang of how the artist draws was fairly challenging. In addition, I had the hardest time trying to get Sairenji's eyes to look right. In the end, I had no choice but to give up and leave them the way they are due to the fact that I had pretty much zero time left to work on it.

--------------------
Time taken: 5-7 hours
Mediums: Pencil and paper

Dustin C.
Jounin Moderator

Post by Dustin C. » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:12 pm

i think you did a really great job, the eyes also look fine to me!

Zephio
MWS moderator

Post by Zephio » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:13 pm

Nice stuff. You did a very good job on both these pieces

Sedystra

Post by Sedystra » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:19 am

I think you captured the personalities of the characters wonderfully~

I like it~ <3
"until he was die but was not until the assassin was die before him/his death that was dead." -Isamu

Excalibur

Post by Excalibur » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:06 am

That's the best drawing I've seen since the last time the manga artist on the other forum I'm on's posted. Keep up ze good work, Ceta.
"I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born." -Ronald Reagan

If you believe the big bang, please consider this http://tiny.cc/QAzgk

R0B3R7

Post by R0B3R7 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:04 am

nice one, ceta =]
very mainstream-esque manga :) (not a bad thing haha, actually very well executed imo ^_~)
dA
“Getting ahead...requires avid faith in yourself. ...Some people with mediocre talent, but with great inner drive, go so much further than people with vastly superior talent.” -Sophia Loren

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:37 am

Very nice Ceta. I like this one a lot.

Your stuff always looks so polished... >->

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:04 am

yeah good stuff. i especially like the hair.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:59 am

Thanks guys.

==========================

While this isn't quite an update:

If you want to know how it was, it was every bit as bad as I had expected it to be due to the clips I had seen on the internet. But, having seen it, there's more that needs to be said about it. The story was pretty poor with quite a few holes here and there, no doubt due to time constraints (which is really no excuse); character development was pretty awkward or barely there, especially between Goku and Piccolo; and Justin Chatwin's kamehameha (along with the ability to pronounce character names properly) sucked dragon balls.

The only plus was that the three leading women were hot and showed off their cleavage throughout the movie. =P

Final verdict: Definitely a rental unless you have a way to watch it at a small fraction of the ticket price.

LonelyArtist

Post by LonelyArtist » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:26 pm

it was that bad huh, i already thought so, but i still kinda wanted to see it in theaters... i'll just wait.
When you're a manga artist, you must give your soul, time, energy, and care to make your work the best. That's why i'm the Lonely Artist. I've gave soul, energy, and time to my work.

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:26 am

LonelyArtist wrote:it was that bad huh, i already thought so, but i still kinda wanted to see it in theaters... i'll just wait.
Just wondering.
Are you actually going to post any of your finished art or writing?
Ever?

Yaz

Post by Yaz » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:43 pm

Ceta I commend you for havin the stomach to watch that garbage movie. But eitherway! I like the texture of the lips on the realism picture and the eyes. I need to work on my shading so I won't be so limited with it. I also like the line work on the anime shot. I dunno why but I also liked the discolored lines when it comes to simple line art.