Ceta's Art and Stuff - Updated April 24, 2014

Talk about all art or ask for advice.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta, The Raging Spaniard

Ceta
MWS moderator

Ceta's Art and Stuff - Updated April 24, 2014

Post by Ceta » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:37 pm

As a note, please pardon the triple-posting. It's necessary for what I'm doing.

In case you haven't seen my latest updates, I thought I'd post them here in an organized manner for easy viewing. I'm starting off with the latest three and I'll be working my way backward from here. So, let's kick this off with the image entitled "Guard Angel".

This is the first picture in the three-picture series that I worked on. Unfortunately, however, this is the only picture of the three that is actually colored. Due to time constraints, I have decided to leave the other two pictures monochrome in their original pencil format.

===========
Mediums used: Pencil and paper, Photoshop CS
Time taken: 15-20 hours (drawing); 10-12 hours (coloring)
Last edited by Ceta on Sun May 16, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:38 pm

Next up, "Meditation".

I enjoyed working on the armor patterns from the Guard Angel picture and decided that I wanted to do it again with a different character. Unfortunately, since I drew this on a half sheet of paper and wanted to have a visible background, I decided that I would make this character a normal human instead of an angel.

=======
Mediums used: Pencil and paper
Time taken: 15-20 hours
Last edited by Ceta on Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:38 pm

This picture, entitled "Demon Archer" is the last of the three-picture series.

After having drawn an angel and a human, I decided that I wanted to draw a character from the demon side. I had originally wanted to give her a really freaky looking sword, but then thought I would give her a different weapon since the guard angel and warrior had swords.

Once I had finished drawing the demon archer, I realized that it wouldn't be good to simply leave it without a background, so after some thought, I decided that I would give it a background that ties the three images together. I had originally wanted to reference Greek ruins and the like, but as I was searching the internet for reference images, I came across Syrian ruins that looked amazing and were exactly what I was looking for.

Because of all that I put in, this was by far the hardest and most time-consuming of the three, as you can probably easily tell, but all-in-all it was a lot of fun.

=======
Mediums used: Pencil and Paper
Time taken: 25-30 hours (over the course of two weeks)

Zephio
MWS moderator

Post by Zephio » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:29 am

tsk tsk tsk on the triple post. that's a no-no. ill give you a warning :wink:

yeah, anyway. Your hours of work definitely show in these 3 pieces. The first one's pose and the way that her clothing flows around in the air were very nicely done. The wings are pretty sweet too. Also, the way you colored that one was also quite nice. I can't help but feel that the second one, then, is lack-luster. Don't get me wrong, it is a complicated piece done extremely well, just something about it, in comparison to the prior one, doesn't hold up. Maybe it's that it takes awhile for one to realize that the human is walking knee-deep in water, since there is no color to tell, nor reflection of her (although there is a shadow!!!). The final one is flipping amazing. It's nice to see it in a different tone than just gray, and I liked that it takes awhile to set it on everything that is going on, from the foreground to the background.

You did an excellent job on all three pieces-yes, even the second which it sort of sounded like I didn't like. It's nice to be reminded why this forum, especially Aether, holds you in such high regards.

TheIndomitableAdam

Post by TheIndomitableAdam » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:24 am

Let me begin by saying bloody fantastic work. I do agree with Zephio about the middle but it's the only of the three that isn't an 'action' pose. That certainly doesn't detract from it as it's own piece.

I'm not sure I'm even close to qualified enough to be giving you constructive criticism, but we're all here to help each other, right? On the middle one; the line for her breast seems a little off. I think it should be a little closer to horizontal and curved in the other direction. I understand the whole breast line/armpit anatomy thing, but the way you have it makes it look like it's sitting on the front of her chest and not off to 45 degrees from where the collarbones join. I hope that makes some sense.

My only gripe with the third picture is with her (I'm assuming it's a she) complete lack of curves. It doesn't have to be over the top, and admittedly many females in manga suffer from the opposite problem.

Like I said, I don't have a leg to stand on here; overall the work is great and completely above whatever I could churn out.

Cheers,
Adam
A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not bother you as you stand atop them.

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:27 am

Zephio wrote:It's nice to be reminded why this forum, especially Aether, holds you in such high regards.
Yeah... Ceta sure is amazingly awesome.

For the first picture I suggest nothing.

The second picture, I have to agree with Zephio there. It does lack the certain jump off the page at you and scream awesome, and yet it still is amazing. I probably think it's because it's not coloured, of all of them I feel that one needs colouring.

The third one. Well actually she is daemonic and demons aren't exactly known for being curvacious beings in my books. I think the lack of curves really does well for this picture.

All in all... these are really awesome Ceta and all are in my favorites on DA! :D

UramiBushi

Post by UramiBushi » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:19 am

ceta.....all i can say is WOAH

Dominion

Post by Dominion » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:37 am

Very nice Ceta.

I wouldn't say there was any issue with the non-curvy body shape for the demon woman. Why are you all under the impression that every single woman out there has a huge rack and an iddy biddy hippy wasit? :lol: There are plenty of other body shapes too you know XD

I like them, the problem I have with the second one is that she looks like she is wading through milk or something, the bottom seems too white. (I didn't even realise she was supposed to be in water until Zephio pointed it out)

Otherwise, I think it's all looking smexy ^_^

But uhh...is it a little too much to ask for pants? :P
Last edited by Dominion on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

If you agree Aether is a cute kitty, put Mr Huggles in your sig now :3

UramiBushi

Post by UramiBushi » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:48 am

we guys have different tastes than.....your kind XD

Dominion

Post by Dominion » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:44 am

Your kind...Oh? So it's like that is it XD

I think you've just waged War Urami :twisted:
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

TheIndomitableAdam

Post by TheIndomitableAdam » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:08 pm

I'm not saying she has to be 36/24/36/insert suitable metric analogue, because it's not realistic. Even thinner women have a waist though.

And Urami: bad call. Not an argument you want to be involved in, because there's no winning.
A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not bother you as you stand atop them.

Dominion

Post by Dominion » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:42 pm

Not neccessarily sweetie.

Here lookie: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... --you.html

People like the lollipop have very little waste and body shape.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

kandy_pish

Post by kandy_pish » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:18 pm

woot!
nicely done and the backgrounds ruel.
Prince of persia ruels!!
http://kandy-me.deviantart.com/

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:20 pm

Thanks for the comments, guys. ^_^

@Zephio: Thanks for letting me off easy. ;)

Yeah, the second one is definitely a bit of a let-down in comparison to the dynamics of the first and third, but since I drew them in a set, I didn't want to leave it out. As for the look of the second picture, I lost a lot of the detail during the scanning process, which is why the water looks the way it does. Knowing myself, if I had gone to fix that with Photoshop, I'd most likely end up coloring it.

If I have the time, I'll probably go back to color it, but for now I intend to leave it as is. With 10 images still left to go, a bunch of my 4 panel comics still left to update and my normal comics that I need to start drawing, my hands are looking pretty full right now.

@TheIndomitableAdam: For the second image, I see what you mean. Although, when I was drawing it, I imagined that the armor was pushing her breasts into place kinda like a special fitting bra rather than letting them hang naturally.

As for the third image, I didn't really want to make her look really curvy. Basic reasoning behind this is that she's a fighter, not a sex toy. =P

As for the comment on her waist, she did have one when I drew out her body's form, but with all the things hanging off of it, the appearance of it kinda disappeared.

@Aether: Thanks. Yeah, if I have the chance to color the second one, I will. Of course, if I color that one, then I'll definitely have to color the third one as well (which makes me cringe in terror at all that I'd need to color). But, that will depend on my schedule and how much I can get done during this next month. We'll see how it goes.

@Dominion: haha....I think it's more of a fetish thing. Where I live, women with a large chest and small waist is a bit of a rare thing. (Small chests and small waists, however, is quite abundant.)

As for adding pants, in the second pic I think that would've left a bit of a gross feeling after having been standing thigh deep in water. For the third, I simply think it would not have looked very good if she were wearing pants. (Besides, where she comes from is probably quite hot and not very pants-friendly.)

@kandy_pish: Thanks. ^_^

==========================

Here's the next picture, entitled "Kimono Girl":

I was working on this during the last week of school before the summer break. Since I was using an art book in the school's art room as a reference, I was only able to work on this picture during the art club meetings after school. I probably could have finished it, but I lost a lot of time due to the fact that one of the students was causing problems for the rest of the members every day that week.

I intend to finish the picture eventually, but that won't happen until sometime after I return to the school. As much as I wish I could buy the book from the bookstore, the book was a special publication book (a supplementary book to an art education TV program) printed about 10-15 years ago.

============
Mediums used: Pencil and paper
Time taken (so far): Around 8 hours

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:41 pm

Awesome. Please tell me if you colour them.
As for the kimono picture. I showed my parents and they were like... OMGFTWWOW! D:
Although... not quite like that... >_>

But yeah, please finish the kimono one. It doesn't need to be finished... but it'd be nice if it were. Damn schools and not letting people borrow reference books. *shakes fist angrily*

P.S. Urami dude... don't even try to win an argument against a woman. You will not win. Especially when it comes to Dom... she's evil that way...