Learning manga, need help :)

Talk about all art or ask for advice.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta, The Raging Spaniard

Dex

Learning manga, need help :)

Post by Dex » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:44 pm

Yo :) I'm trying to improve my skills in manga but I need some one to check me (I'm not sure if what I'm doing is right). Can some 1 check them and tell me what's wrong?
Here r some of my work -
http://funkyimg.com/viewer.php?img=25131beaten.jpg
http://funkyimg.com/viewer.php?img=78761badaas.jpg

Dustin C.
Jounin Moderator

Post by Dustin C. » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:57 pm

hey not bad, you have some good concept there.
the only things i can say to work on is anatomy and clothing.
there are plenty of anatomy tutorials online, just google them. or take a life drawing class if you can.
but still, looking pretty good. ^_^

Def Character
Mod-Squad Captain

Post by Def Character » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:08 pm

Hi Dex,
The colouring and outline is going the right way. But when trying to improve don't fixate on the endresult. Sometimes it helps to scetch a certain part like an arm or another detail a few times in rough lines on another piece of paper.

When you have practised the seperate elements you can try to combine them, again as a sketch, to make a whole figure.
Using some reference material to balance out the proportions is helpfull to. There is plenty to be found on the net.
In time you can imagine the whole before your mindseye so that it will be easier to set up the basic lines before going for the endresult

Dex

Post by Dex » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:11 pm

Tnx, I'll try to improve the way u suggested and draw some thing else, so next time I'll expect a more rough critic ;)

Def Character
Mod-Squad Captain

Post by Def Character » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:40 pm

Okay girls and guys ^^ you heared Dex.
Rough crits on his next post. :mrgreen:

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:38 am

*evil smile*
Excellent.

Dex

Post by Dex » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:19 pm

It's taking me some time ( I have a lot of what to work on :) ) so wait a little more ( and then u can crucify me :D ).

Dex

Post by Dex » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

YOSHAAAA! I finished it at last :D (after 3 days T_T)
I can't see exactly where's the mistakes, so when u'll post u'r critics I'll try to fix it :) (and as I sayed - rough critic plz, so I'll be able to learn something :) )

http://funkyimg.com/viewer.php?img=38673comment.jpg

Def Character
Mod-Squad Captain

Post by Def Character » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:56 pm

Heh I'll start:
Her neck seems awfully thin at the attachment point. It is a bit like barbies neck *shivers* Her arms seem a bit short. Her righ hand (our left pov) could be turned a bit more upwards since she is carrying a big sign. It would be nice if we saw a bit more from the top of her left hand. Give a bit more attention to the hands to make it delicate feminin. Nice structure in the stocking though ^^

Keep practising and in time you can do this way faster then in 3 days. ^^d

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:23 pm

My critiques:

--> The head is incredibly small in comparison to the body.

--> The wrinkles in her clothing need work. If you need reference, stand in front of a mirror wearing the same outfit. If you're a guy, find a way to pad your chest so that you can get yourself to look as close to the picture as you can (also, be sure to lock your door and close your blinds so that you don't have an unexpected audience watching you do this). From there, look at how the wrinkles form on the shirt, memorize them and then draw them into your picture. You can try to memorize everything or just memorize a little bit at a time; whatever method is most comfortable for you.

--> Continuing on with the shirt. An untucked and unbuttoned shirt (much like any loose-fitting shirt) should not be conforming to the breasts like a bra. In order to fix this, you'll have to get rid of/redo those lines around her breast area.

--> Last part about the shirt. The bottom of the shirt doesn't make much sense to me. It looks like it's floating around in the breeze, which isn't possible since her hair is standing perfectly still. If you were going for a look that's supposed to be her hand altering the placement of the shirt, then you kinda failed. If you wear a shirt in a similar fashion as what's in your picture, you should be able to see what I'm talking about.

--> Her hands need work. Be sure to reference your own hands if you're not confident in drawing them from memory.

--> In addition to the neck being thin at the top, as DefC had mentioned, those lines in the middle are a little strange. Although I know what they're supposed to be, you should reference that section from your favorite artist or leave them out until you know how to properly add them in.

Dex

Post by Dex » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:42 pm

O K :) I've read the critiques, so I'm out for repairs :D

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:20 am

Damn, I can't crit without reiterating what Ceta just said... damn you Ceta. >_>

I guess I won't be critting.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:04 am

Aether wrote:Damn, I can't crit without reiterating what Ceta just said... damn you Ceta. >_>

I guess I won't be critting.
bwahahahaha..... :lol:

Dex

Post by Dex » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:00 pm

YO! :) I finished the repairs at last (2-3 hours, toם slowת god damn it :D )
http://funkyimg.com/viewer.php?img=94107comment1.jpg
Please comment :) Although I don't think I'm gonna fix it again (4 days on 1 pic drives me to despair ;) but maybe later I'll fix it) I still want to hear something :)
Ou, Aether don't worry I started a new draw (and I'm gonna do more :) ) so u'll have another chance :D
What do you really want?

But

Beware of your wishes...

Def Character
Mod-Squad Captain

Post by Def Character » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:21 am

ehm the hands are to little and if the pole is following the direction backwards as dictated by the folds at her elbow the stick wouldn't be in front of her hair on the left side (our right pov). :-k