Need some help learning to draw a figure for my manga

Talk about all art or ask for advice.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta, The Raging Spaniard

Mr.Pen.Dragon

Need some help learning to draw a figure for my manga

Post by Mr.Pen.Dragon » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:09 am

Hello everyone.
I am starting to draw my own Manga's but I only got as far as the eye and the breast can some one show me a site on how to make a female and male manga style figure so I can make it more realistic and also I only use a pen and that will be all I use I will prove to all that I can make A great mange with a pen eneyway no nudity ether I dont plan on drawing that for 5 more year's.

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:08 pm

I also use a pen... but if you want advice, heed Ceta's, Dustin's and VII's. They know how to draw, and if they say draw with a pencil... draw with a pencil. I can't give advice as I myself am learning. All I can say is to buy a book. I can't tell you how much a book has helped me in my skills... and practice. The two most stereotypical pieces of advice... hope it helps. ^_^

Caffeine

Post by Caffeine » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:54 am

A pencil is nice, because you will need to erase things
You can't get rid of me.
Deviantart: here

Dustin C.
Jounin Moderator

Re: Need some help learning to draw a figure for my manga

Post by Dustin C. » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:11 pm

Mr.Pen.Dragon wrote:I will prove to all that I can make A great mange with a pen eneyway no nudity ether I dont plan on drawing that for 5 more year's.
haha, sorry but i dont think that will work. even the greatest artists use pencils first, then pen. also from the sound of it, your drawing the character's figure first, before the underlying skeleton.

well i suppose the How To Draw Manga book series that you can find in any bookstore would help to improve your skills.

VIIStar

Post by VIIStar » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:24 pm

first, regardless of my own methods, sketch in pencil first. And grab a book on anatomy.
secondly, i'd need to see examples and understand your level to give any more advice.
and thirdly, you only plan to work for 5 years? (seems like an odd statement to make) learning to draw well takes hard work, a lot of time and patience. if you know you won't keep it up, why bother? give me a reason to spend my time on you.

Br0k3nS34l

Post by Br0k3nS34l » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:16 pm

lol he meant he doesn't plan on drawing nude stuff for 5 more years VII star. anyway even though aether failed to mention me as one who knows how to draw(lol :P) i'll throw my input in anyway lol. The basics to cover are understanding human anatomy, along with embracing the necesity of penciling things out initialy so your picture can achieve it's highest potential without the danger of the slightest error endangering the entire picture. Drawing a "skeleton" before you draw in details is also critical when drawing a picture you are serious about, and the technique itself requires a bit of practice. refer to some of the tutorials u can find on the mws forums for some more insight on those subjects. other than that, practice! With a pencil! Or at least an erasable pen for heaven's sake lol.
"In this day and age we are obligated to think outside of the bubble that encircles the box."
-Sha M.-

"Fiction has it's limits sweetheart, it's how creative you can be with reality that truly defines fiction"
-Sha M.-

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:31 pm

AW MAH GAWD! SORRY BROKEN AND CAFFEINE! I TOTALLY FORGOT!

Zephio
MWS moderator

Post by Zephio » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:22 am

Sketch in pencil first. It's erasable, and therefore great when you make errors (and you will make errors).

If you wanna know how to draw more realistically and you dont want to spend money on books....do what I do. They are called people. They are mostly always available to look at. And you just simple look and catch on. Sketches help. But simply looking and catching on to trends that humans anatomically have will get you further than you think.

And I believe that Aether was simply stating the first 3 artists that came to his mind that he's been using as examples in the past. There's no need for anyone else on this site to get offended. Most people on this site know how to, or do draw :wink:

Br0k3nS34l

Post by Br0k3nS34l » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:25 pm

lmao was just jokin around~ besides i need to kick my posted art up a notch anyway, i looked bak on my history and realized i've never posted any actual finished art on mws EVER only irrelivant sketches from me practicing and what not. anyway sorry to go so savagely off topic.

uh yah i agree with zephio. studying ACTUAL people in order to gain practical insight on human anatomy is almost common sense. And every manga artist applies the rules of anatomy to their own degree. For example look at VII's anatomy style then look at mine. Both have their own honed and developed style, while still looking different to the point where it'd be trippy to see two of our chars drawn on the same page. Moral of the story: Understanding TRUE human anatomy is key, but apply it to whatever degree you'd like. That in itself is how u come to hone your own style.

P.S. In light of the realization that ive posted no finished art im working on something as we speak, please hold me to that promise so i dont get distracted XD
"In this day and age we are obligated to think outside of the bubble that encircles the box."
-Sha M.-

"Fiction has it's limits sweetheart, it's how creative you can be with reality that truly defines fiction"
-Sha M.-

VIIStar

Post by VIIStar » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:03 pm

Br0k3nS34l wrote:lol he meant he doesn't plan on drawing nude stuff for 5 more years VIIStar.
huh?
*rereads*
VII = lost.
^^;;;
Br0k3nS34l wrote:For example look at VII's anatomy style then look at mine. Both have their own honed and developed style, while still looking different to the point where it'd be trippy to see two of our chars drawn on the same page.
:lol: human anatomy = apply as needed!!!

Caffeine

Post by Caffeine » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:16 am

I bought a plastic model skeleton awhile back an I've been finding it really helpful as of late. He's not perfect, but I can turn it around to see different angles and stuff, You can't quite do that with books.

(..I named him Jones.)

Aether wrote:AW MAH GAWD! SORRY BROKEN AND CAFFEINE! I TOTALLY FORGOT!
SOMEDAY I will be so good that you will NEVER FORGET MY NAME AGAIN!! You just wait!
You can't get rid of me.
Deviantart: here

Br0k3nS34l

Post by Br0k3nS34l » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:26 am

BUH-LEAVE IT!!

(LMFAO, couldn't resist...damn that americanized naruto clone bastard)
-Sha M.-

-Sha M.-

kosh

Post by kosh » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:36 am

why not start off drawing nude

I mean it helps

I draw in the nude
"So cleavage season's almost over" -Ted Alexandro

Def Character
Mod-Squad Captain

Post by Def Character » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:26 am

Ehr kosh put something on we don't want you to catch a cold.

Manga style has a lot of variations if you look it up closely. What manga/anime has somewhat the style that you are aiming for Mr.Pen.Dragon?

Other helpfull Items to study are
- balance. Knowing where to find the center of gravity Like when holding an inmense sword
- fabrics/textiles. Each material has its own behaviour, folds and looks. . .