Quick sketch in need of some critique

Talk about all art or ask for advice.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta, The Raging Spaniard

Zephio
MWS moderator

Quick sketch in need of some critique

Post by Zephio » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:16 pm

This is a sketch I did last week and quickly colored 20 seconds ago. This is NOT going to EVER be a finalized digital coloring. I am painting this, oil on canvas, instead.

It is supposed to be as if you are looking up at her slightly (henceforth why the background has no ground). I looked in the mirror for the basic sketch and proportions of the body (however since I am a male, it was extremely basic).

I have two purposes for posting this:
1. I think the stomach area of a little off. She looks slightly pregnant. A friend suggested that it's her back that should be indented more. Does anyone else agree with that?"
2. The skirt does NOT follow the angle that is seen with her. Meaning she is being looked up at and the skirt is being looked straight ahead at. Suggestions?

I'll post some finished art later this week. But for now, some critiques would be GREAT :D

VIIStar

Re: Quick sketch in need of some critique

Post by VIIStar » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:31 pm

Zephio wrote: 1. I think the stomach area of a little off. She looks slightly pregnant. A friend suggested that it's her back that should be indented more. Does anyone else agree with that?"
hm... i think the back is simple a perspective problem from the hip to back... you're missing some overlay. the hip overlaps the back... *thinking* i'd have to sketch it, but try pulling in the back slightly and following the line of the backside into the torso at an angle... *or a darker shadow*

i hope that helps / makes sense...
^^;

Zephio
MWS moderator

Post by Zephio » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:13 am

sorta..

ill try re-sketching it in a couple days if anyone gives some critiques

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:56 am

OH MY GOD SHE HAS NO FACE!
I know she's not meant to have a face yet, ^_^
Yeah, she looks really pregnant. Try drawing the rib cage and hips, and then draw the stomach, I also reckon her butt should be a tiny bit bigger. Just my observations.

kosh

Post by kosh » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:31 pm

i should be at school right now but i got a doctors appt anyways so HA

anyways...

i think maybe it's because the legs were coming up too high on the canvas or something, if you look at where the curve of her butt is, it should really be lower the angle you're viewing her and w/ that pose too

here's what i mean (b/c kon is my idol xD...not sure i did this one right tho)

as for making it into an upskirt view <-- haha ...

i think you'd need to vertically compress the legs a bit as well as widen them maybe from top to bottom, and consider the foreshortening when you draw her

about widening the skirt, if you make the angle on her right knee wider so that the line of her shin slants outward instead of in, i think that might work or at least have a little bit of effect
"So cleavage season's almost over" -Ted Alexandro

Aether

Post by Aether » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:06 pm

Yeah, dude you should totally redo it how you've got right there.

Zephio
MWS moderator

Post by Zephio » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:22 am

thanks for the advice!

i drew a quick sketch today after getting some help from my art teacher. I'll post it sometime soon. It ended up being just the waist that needed to be brought in more, and little bit of the hip area.

Kosh, your pose is anatomically correct, so thank you for that. However yours is more of a natural post that'd someone might actually do, and the one im looking for is to look like someone is posing. So that is the reason why her one hip is jolted out a little more. Thanks for the advice on the skirt too, I'll start redoing it probably later tonight.

kosh

Post by kosh » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:04 am

yar

on a random sidenote, my artrenaline levels are low, post that sketch quick so I can get motivated
"So cleavage season's almost over" -Ted Alexandro

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:23 pm

Though it's probably a little late, here's my redline critique:

It builds a bit off of Kosh's line fix, with anatomy adjustments here and there. Not exactly the best quality since I did it in a couple minutes, but it should hopefully be enough for you to see what I was doing.

Aether

WHAT?!

Post by Aether » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:54 pm

Bloody hell, I friggin' hate you Ceta... that's not high quality?! Jesus, I really need top catch up and by god I WILL!

Just you wait, I'll overtake you in terms of skill Ceta! Just you wait!

Ceta
MWS moderator

Re: WHAT?!

Post by Ceta » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:35 pm

Aether wrote:Bloody hell, I friggin' hate you Ceta... that's not high quality?! Jesus, I really need top catch up and by god I WILL!

Just you wait, I'll overtake you in terms of skill Ceta! Just you wait!
Since it was a redline critique, I didn't really put much thought or effort into it; I just did it. So, yeah, it's not high quality. 6^_^'

Good luck with your practicing. ^_^

Aether

Patience is the key

Post by Aether » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:37 am

Just wait Ceta... just wait :evil:

Sisu

Post by Sisu » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:19 am

I personally think it would be more interesting to see how it would look if you drew the legs more in perspective. As in following the lines of the belly.
The head should be smaller then. Also the head should probably lean back
more.

I think that's more interesting because then it isn't one of those standard manga drawings / photo poses. Unless that's what your after. Less vivid and energetic to me though... al though this may be a lot harder.

Aether

WELCOME!

Post by Aether » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:22 am

WELCOME SISU! HOPE YOU LIKE IT HERE! ^_^
Just so you know, I'm kinda insane and all that... so yeah, don't be afraid. Well, have fun