Creating Line Art

Talk about all art or ask for advice.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta, The Raging Spaniard

cericcalas

Creating Line Art

Post by cericcalas » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:06 am

I'm spending a good amount of time on a piece for once and I would like to be able to make it into decent lineart. What is the most efficient manner of making lineart and what program do you suggest using?

Def Character
Mod-Squad Captain

Post by Def Character » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:30 pm

Ehr Cericcalas it all depents on your own preferences and abilties.
I myself like adobe illustrator together with a drawing tablet.
But there are a lot who make great line art with traditional media.

So what colouring style are you going to use?

cericcalas

Post by cericcalas » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:23 pm

I've not had enough experience with lineart or coloring to have acquired a style. So I guess you'll see when I'm done and you can tell me what style I used ;)

major banana

Post by major banana » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:39 pm

^^^ That's the wisest thing i heard a practicing artist say in my whole life. Usually when you point them their mistakes, they tell you ''its not a mistake, it's my style''. ](*,)

Use markers, pigment liners, nib pens, calligraphy markers, photoshop, painter, manga studio, illustrator, tablet, mouse, touchpad. That means try out anything you can get your hands on and you'll automatically notice what suits you.

If you're not familiar with inking, it's easier to mess up when inking manual. A lot of people choose digital, only because of apple+z (or ctrl+z). But the more you mess up, the more mistakes you can learn from.

Def Character
Mod-Squad Captain

Post by Def Character » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:02 am

cericcalas wrote:I've not had enough experience with lineart or coloring to have acquired a style. So I guess you'll see when I'm done and you can tell me what style I used ;)
Major B has a point

But isn't there a style what you can aim for. What kind of manga/anime do you like the most?

Dustin C.
Jounin Moderator

Post by Dustin C. » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:31 pm

rabid panda

Post by rabid panda » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:36 pm

use lines

Caffeine

Post by Caffeine » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:51 am

some people just scan their pencils in and darken them with a program. I don't do that, my sketches are much too messy.

cericcalas

Post by cericcalas » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:56 am

Caffeine wrote:some people just scan their pencils in and darken them with a program. I don't do that, my sketches are much too messy.
That's my problem and the reason I asked about programs too.
Def Character wrote:But isn't there a style what you can aim for. What kind of manga/anime do you like the most?
I like Hayao Miyazaki, Akira Toriyama, Katsuhiro Otomo, Xavier Garcia, and Marvel Comics.

Caffeine

Post by Caffeine » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:35 am

those styles have lots of line variation, right?
you might have to buy some fancy pens.

As for programs, I use GIMP. it's free and stuff.
http://www.gimp.org/
you can use tablets with it, some say it's as good as photoshop. I dunno, never tried photoshop.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:29 am

Best way to start out is to do it with pen and ink, most especially since it doesn't have a really high learning curve like digital software when you're just starting out. Here's what you do: So you don't damage your paper, take a piece of tracing paper and tape it in place above your original pencil drawing (don't use too much tape, though, since you could risk damaging the tracing paper or original drawing when you have to separate them). After that, start inking.

Once you're done, remove the tape and then proceed to scan in the inked copy. You may need to do some touch up work to remove any blemishes, but this is usually a minor thing and doesn't take long.

If you understand the basics of inking with pen and ink, then you'll be ahead of everyone else who just works digitally. This is most especially the case if you become good enough to sell your works at conventions and do on-the-spot commissions. Also, with a good understanding of how to properly ink by pen the quality of images you produce through digital programs will look much much better than most others' work.

Caffeine

Post by Caffeine » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:17 am

what pens/where to get them do you recommend Ceta? what about tracing paper? I'm curious about this too, I never really learned how to ink properly.
You can't get rid of me.
Deviantart: here

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:04 pm

Caffeine wrote:what pens/where to get them do you recommend Ceta? what about tracing paper? I'm curious about this too, I never really learned how to ink properly.
:? Are you serious? Or are you just messing with me?

Sometimes it's hard to tell if people are serious or not over the internet.

VIIStar

Post by VIIStar » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:10 pm

I've never inked on tracing paper... i use a 100% cotton drafting paper to transfer to a clean sheet for inking, but never thought to ink on the drafting paper... i do believe it would smear terribly...

Caffeine

Post by Caffeine » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:30 pm

Ceta wrote: :? Are you serious? Or are you just messing with me?
It's pathetic, but I am in fact serious.
You can't get rid of me.
Deviantart: here