Fantasy
25%
Science Fiction
75%

Total votes: 4

MilesStar

Re: Fantasy or Sci Fi

Post by MilesStar » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Cool. I always wanted to play a good Sci Fi game. Are there any good ones that are MMORPG like World of Warcraft. I don't care about Star Wars the New Republic one.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:40 am

Good question. I've been way too busy with work the past year that I'm pretty much out of the loop when it comes to video games. You'll need to ask someone else about that.

MilesStar

Post by MilesStar » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:06 am

Good ask. Also do you think there is too much science explanation in most science fiction books, while fantasy seems to be more character focus?

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:11 am

In science fiction, I would hope that there's a good amount of explanation on the technology used. However, there is a balance that needs to be maintained. Too much information and you'll lose the interest of your readers; too little information and you'll confuse any reader who doesn't know what it is already, thus causing readers to give up before they reach the end. Most authors have achieved this, but there are quite a few authors out there who have not.

For instance, there was a book that I picked up at the local bookstore not too long ago that I thought might be an interesting read. It was part of a two-book series and both around 250 pages each, something I consider to be a light read. Anyway, I started to read the first book and got about 80 pages in before I decided to sell the books back to the used bookstore. Here's why: The author put way too much information in some places and too little in others. I'm assuming the places where there were too little information would be explained at a later point, but the problem with that is that the explanations, like the ones I had encountered up to that point, would be long-winded and boring. The character introductions and everything else up to that point were also rather boring (I was amazed that anyone could make an action/fighting-sequence boring) but that's a bit beside the point. The technology that was used, mostly upgraded versions of what we use today and things that you'd probably find in a cyberpunk work as well as nanotechnology, were all over-explained much to the point where you spent most of the time thinking not about the technology but rather on how much more you have to read before the author will finally move on with the story.

As for fantasy being more character-driven, I would have to disagree. Both sides do much to develop the characters, it's just the way each author does so is not the same. The main reason I think that fantasy is able to provide more story with less time spent on explaining things is because a lot of the things incorporated into books are not really far off in terms of mythologies, races and whatnot from other fantasy books. Since most readers understand what things like orcs or mana are, you don't need a heavy explanation to make sure that everyone understands what you're trying to convey to them. In addition, many fantasy books end up being more than a one book run, giving the authors much more time to fully develop the world/settings in their book. Science-fiction books, on the other hand, don't always get this chance so the author has to do as much as possible in that one shot as they can.

Peptalk

Post by Peptalk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:13 pm

i don't care either way but aren't they coming 'back out ' with some of the older stories or just expanding on them these days. one that most people know is "The Lord Of The Rings" and "The Hobbit". i prefer the older version than the new one coming out. people are running out of fresh ideas for these topics.. its really sad.
Onee

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:59 am

So you know, we've been discussing books, not movies.

MilesStar

Post by MilesStar » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:40 pm

I guess because a lot of fantasy books became as cliche' as the original books, the authors don't have to explain a lot. But that kind of kills their originality. Writers don't have to add elves, orcs, and dwarves in their fantasy setting. They can invent new creatures or races that are new. But I bet they have to explain some background info for the readers. I don't read a lot of fantasy books because of these cliches', unless they adapted from a game or media that I know. The only fantasy book I am reading now is Conan, which is one of the unique fantasy adventures since the golden age of pulp magazine. Harry Potter is unique, but now there are romantic fantasy books rising since Twilight.

Peptalk

Post by Peptalk » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:27 pm

Yes I know your talkin about books. I get in trouble because of how much I read. But it is true that they are taking the classic sci-fi and fantasy and remaking them with other cliche's added into them these days.
Onee

MilesStar

Post by MilesStar » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:37 pm

I guess getting new ideas is now hard this year. Most of the Japanese manga still follow the cliche', however they make the setting and the races look different. Final Fantasy is one of them.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:17 am

I'm really thankful that the Twilight series didn't really catch on here. The movies and books made it over, but I've heard pretty much nothing about it from the people I know.

As for new races in books, I think a bit of why there aren't many new kinds is because it takes a bit of time to introduce the new race. In addition, if the new race is similar to an already existing race, then readers may wonder why you took the trouble of trying to make it unique different when you could have just called it by what everyone thinks it is and just define it to what you want it to be. In videogames and movies, it's much easier to make up new races and species because of the visual aspect. Not too much explanation needed because to viewer can see what it immediately.

@Peptalk: How you manage to get in trouble for reading too much, I can't understand. In today's society with videogames, TV, movies and all sorts of things readily available at your discretion, I would imagine reading to be in less demand. To anyone wishing to spend most of their time reading, I would expect them to be commended. Well, that is, unless they are doing it when they should be doing something else. For instance, reading in the middle of class or when they should be doing their homework, or reading in the middle of a business presentation, etc.

For Japanese manga/anime/etc., everyone works pretty much according to the "if it's not broke don't fix it" model. It doesn't make sense to take huge risks/leaps and end up with a product that doesn't sell well. Of course, if you make exactly the same each time it won't sell well either so some changes need to be made. Innovation does happen, but when you're first starting out or are a small company, you need to find something that will appeal to as many people as possible. Success isn't 100%, but you stand a much better chance than with an idea that's totally unique. Innovation-wise, it's terrible, but should you succeed and make it big then you can afford to take bigger chances/risks.

MilesStar

Post by MilesStar » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:29 am

In the beginning of the Lord of the Rings book, JRR Torkien wrote a brief history about the Hobbits before he began his story. He really goes into detail.

Peptalk

Post by Peptalk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:51 pm

The Hobbit was a great story and it helped set the lord of the rings generation. But i find that many people can't read them because they don't understand the way some of the words are used. :(
Onee

MilesStar

Post by MilesStar » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:59 am

Sometimes it is hard to understand his writing, and he tells a lot in his story.