Fantasy
25%
Science Fiction
75%

Total votes: 4

MilesStar

Fantasy or Sci Fi

Post by MilesStar » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:29 am

I heard that fantasy is a bestseller right now. There aren't many science fiction novels and manga on the bestselling list. Basically because most characters in sci fi are cliche and the setting limits the readers' imagination. I do believe sci fi will become popular again soon, but we need writers to score up that genre.

I am not really into fantasy because most of it are typical medieval stuff. However, Fairy Tail and Naruto are both unique and almost. I wish more fantasy authors would write or draw books like those two. Where are the sci fi manga too? I still remember Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, and Appleseed.

It burns me right now there doesn't seem to be any good science fiction books are there for now.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Re: Fantasy or Sci Fi

Post by Ceta » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:38 pm

Unfortunately, I can't speak on behalf of the book markets outside of where I live but, here, the market seems to be leaning more toward the science fiction market rather than fantasy. However, for the book series that I'm currently reading, it's a bit of a combination of science fiction and fantasy. (The books tell the story of the characters both as they appear in the virtual reality MMORPGs -- which are set in fantasy-like surroundings -- that they play as well as how things in-game affect their everyday lives or vice-versa.)

Lately, however, it seems that there has been a huge surge in detective/mystery novels. There are a few that I'm looking at getting, but I need to finish the other books I'm reading first.

MilesStar

Post by MilesStar » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:23 am

If you check out the bestselling list at Barnes and Nobles, and Amazon.com, you will know what books are hitting the market really well.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:18 am

I personally assess what's popular at the moment by just heading over to my local bookstore. They usually have most of the current popular books out front with the new releases so it's easy to find something that you may want to read. In addition, I enjoy the atmosphere of bookstores, so I prefer to look for my books in person than online.

As for checking the sites you mentioned:

--> Amazon lists what's popular for where I live, which means that what is popular here is most likely completely different from you. That said, in response to the 'Fantasy or Sci-fi' topic, sci-fi wins. Not by number, however, but by the fact that there are no fantasy books listed. (Fantasy books here have a very small reader base compared to other genres.)

--> Although I looked at the Barnes and Noble website, I didn't find a definite answer to which is more popular. The reason: They posted all the top sci-fi and fantasy picks under the title 'Sci-Fi'.

MilesStar

Post by MilesStar » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:45 am

One of the bestselling sci fi books I found so far is the Hunger Games. Perhaps Sci Fi is climbing way back up now.

major banana

Post by major banana » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:10 pm

If the hunger games (or should i say Battle Royale meets Twilight) is the future of sci-fi, i hope it dies out immediately. One thing that keeps doing well is cyberpunk. You can never have enough cyberpunk.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:35 pm

What are some good cyberpunk series?

MilesStar

Post by MilesStar » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:54 am

I got some.

Neuromancer (Sprawl, #1)

Snow Crash

Cryptonomicon

Virtual Light (Bridge, #1)

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:28 pm

Thanks. It looks like most of the books I can get pretty cheap either at my local used bookstore or via Amazon, so I'll definitely give them a read when I get the chance. Still have quite a few books left in my queue to read, so it'll be a bit before than happens; maybe during the summer holiday if all goes well.

MilesStar

Post by MilesStar » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:04 pm

Your welcome.

Most new Sci Fi novels I heard on the bestseller list are dystopian novels. Besides Hunger Games, there is also Legend series and the delirium book series. They have romantic teen concepts too much like the Hunger Games trilogy, which made me think writers are trying to make the next Hunger Games. Why couldn't they write Sci Fi books about how good our future can be?

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:48 pm

MilesStar wrote:Why couldn't they write Sci Fi books about how good our future can be?
Sure, technology and the sciences can help people and change society for the better, but I'm pretty sure that if it made the future societies into a perfect utopia the story would be pretty boring to read. The worse a situation is for the lead character, the more interesting it is to read about how the character gets around/through any situations or tight spots they encounter.

major banana

Post by major banana » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:35 pm

Neuromancer is my favorite book ever, there is nothing cyberpunk (or any book imo) out there that comes close to it. Gibson crams so much info in every sentence, subtle and ultra fast-paced at the same time. I dunno you'll just have to see it for yourself.
Read the 2 follow-ups too, count zero and mona lisa overdrive. Most of what philip k dick wrote is good reading too, if you like interesting and thought-provoking stuff, or bruce sterling. It's mostly 'old' stuff though.

If you want the newer stuff, read 'Accellerando' from charles stross, MUST read. Neil stephenson is pretty good too.

I noticed that cyberpunk is more easily seen in the movie and anime department though. In books it's kinda hidden in the pile of sci-fi and blended with other subgenres, harder to find.

(edit - when you read neuromancer, know that it's written in '84, gibson hardly ever touched a computer (let alone knew anything about them)and the internet was just born too, yet it's still not dated even in 2013)

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:06 am

I went to the local used bookstore and searched around for some of the books, but no luck. Ended up having to order via Amazon instead. I ordered a couple of the books but, so far, only one has come:

I just found out a couple days ago that my company is transferring me again, so I'll be pretty busy the next couple weeks or so. I'll probably start reading it once I've gotten settled into my new place.

MilesStar

Post by MilesStar » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Those books sound interesting. I only read some cyberpunk manga. The Ghost in the Shell manga has good artwork, but the story drags out. I think the anime ones are better.

Although a perfect future can be good, there will still be some conflicts like alien invaders, machines gone haywire, and scientists making mistakes. If it is more character driven, perhaps the character will face some social issue problems with friends and families. But I don't like soap opera stuff. Adventure and action stuff is what I enjoy the most.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:28 am

If the Sword Art Online or Accel World series make it to the US (if they haven't already, that is), I highly recommend you check them out. Both series are what I had been referring to in my earlier post and have become incredibly popular here, most especially with anyone interested in online gaming. The future that both stories are in aren't perfect (rather, the future portrayed in the stories is pretty much the same as society as it is now) but the technology used is pretty advanced compared to what is used now and makes for a bit of interesting thought should current technology head in that direction. At least, that's the way I think about it. Regardless, they're a very fun read. The anime for both series are also really good.