Cyberpunk

Talk about anything you like

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

major banana

Cyberpunk

Post by major banana » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:15 am

Any fans of that genre here? You know, neuromancer, hackers, fortress, appleseed, blade runner, avalon, the matrix, akira, twelve monkeys, serial experiment lain, nirvana, ghost in the shell, metropolis,...

Thing is, i never noticed that i'm a HUGE fan, untill i saw a list containing cyberpunk movies and series. I had about 80% of them somewhere in my collection. I know a lot of fans of the genre itself, but almost nobody that cares to elaborate on the philosophical side of it, on how it works. And even though i'm a fan, that doesn't mean i understand the entire concept of what cyberpunk exactly is, right now i'm just intruiged by it.

I'm thinking about using this genre for a comic but without understanding it, there's no way i can create something decent that doesn't come off as a rip-off, using all the 'cool' cyberpunk elements just for show.

I know it mostly handles on a setting, with on one side the rich, who have more power in technology than they can handle, and on the other side the poor plebs, that have to fight the system in order to survive. High-tech, poor vs rich and a realistic possibility for our own future is a must.

But i was wondering, how close can you stay with the genre? I mean, if you look at it, the underdog is always around somehow. Even if the main character has some type of super ability, he or she will always start off as someone low on the ladder, and will stay there even if they save the day, or the world. But that whole underdog thing isn't a part of the cyberpunk genre itself, it's just something that blends right in. The story benefits from it. Same thing can be said about the hacker theme. Many cyberpunk movies or series have hackers, the internet. Movies like akira completely neglected that part, and they're no less part of the genre than a movie that did use the theme.

It seems like they all float around the same thing. Even though they're using completely different elements, themes and settings, they all have a red line connecting them to eachother, one thing that makes me say 'that's a cyberpunk movie'. And that is what i'm looking for.

Give me your thoughts on that please.

rabid panda

Post by rabid panda » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:22 pm

you forgot johnny nmemonic. keanu reeves is the greatest thesbian of our time.

Dustin C.
Jounin Moderator

Post by Dustin C. » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:51 pm

rabid panda wrote:you forgot johnny nmemonic. keanu reeves is the greatest thesbian of our time.
:-k no sir, i disagree.

also try bubblegum crisis, its pretty good.

MiNi

Post by MiNi » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:56 pm

What is thesbian ? I can think of only 1 thing and that is the UBER lesbian but that can't be right ;)

rabid panda

Post by rabid panda » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:58 pm

a thesbian is just a fancy word for actor

Harm

Post by Harm » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:41 pm

Yes!
Huge Ghost in the Shell fan here! And Battle Angel Alita of course ^_^

MiNi

Post by MiNi » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:07 pm

can antitrust be in the same list then ??

Brickwallfish

Post by Brickwallfish » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:50 am

*deleted*
Last edited by Brickwallfish on Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDarkHell

Post by TheDarkHell » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:41 pm

ya blame would fit right in the cyberpunk genre

The Raging Spaniard
Awsome Moderator

Post by The Raging Spaniard » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:18 pm

hahahaha, you called Keanu an actor, hahahahahaha

Hes not an actor, hes like Tom Cruise. If you play as yourself in all your movies, youre not actually acting, youre just there
Xavier Garcia

Concept Artist

Portfolio
Twitter
Tumblr

rabid panda

Post by rabid panda » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:31 pm

yeah but the writers write in a whoa into all his movies