Digital art programs

Talk about anything you like

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

Lunar_Raven_Drago

Re: Digital art programs

Post by Lunar_Raven_Drago » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:04 pm

I don't know if it makes much difference. But from what I saw the Manga Studio 5 works on the Windows 7. My laptop runs Windows 8. And from past experience with programs if the system isn't one of the ones the program is supposed to run on. The system typically throws a fit and won't run it. Or if it does very choppily. They may have finally fixed that problem but I would rather not have to argue with my laptop to get the program to work.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:25 pm

That is why you should always check the system requirements before purchasing/installing new software.

jeriokelive

Post by jeriokelive » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:15 pm

I am using Manga Studio 5 on Windows 8.1. My PC did not whine at me while trying to install it. It can get choppy when I'm working in higher DPI situations, specially when I am closer to being done. But, that is a ram and CPU issue for my machine (more likely, the CPU cause it's nearly 8 years old now.) The largest delay I see is while saving when I am getting closer to being done. It takes 10-30 seconds for my files to save because I use soooooo many vector lines. I just give it a second and it's back to normal. When I am coloring, or painting, I try to keep my brushes small. I find that using a really big brush just chomps on memory and the same is true in that regard whether I am using MS5, GIMP, or PS.

My specs are
CPU:AMD Phenom(tm) 9550 Quad-Core Processor
CPU Speed: 2.2 GHz
RAM: 6.2 GB
OS: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Edition (build 9200), 64-bit
Video Card: GeForce GTX 650 Ti

Also, I can say that there are budget graphics pads available. Their specs may not be as great as a Wacom, but I have a 10" Monoprice tablet that I got for $60 that I LOVE. I saw it on Amazon with a ton of great ratings and was like: what the heck. I'm very happy I got it, since I am most definitely not made of money.

Mactire

Post by Mactire » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:41 am

I mostly use Photosh for my illustrations.
I haven't drawn Manga for a long time but do a lot of ilustrations for presentations and an anatomic cut away drawing every now and then.
In the past I used Portalgraphics(?) OpenCanvas. Which behaves more like traditional media.
Currently I'm learning SketchbookPro, I had the iPad version and got the PC verison also. But I'll have to see how that works out. I tend to stick to what I know. And I know Photoshop CS2 so that's what I use most of the time.