Digital art programs

Talk about anything you like

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

Lunar_Raven_Drago

Digital art programs

Post by Lunar_Raven_Drago » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:46 am

My family has been planning on getting me a laptop. I do a lot of drawing but I've never done any digital drawing. That is the main reason they want to get me the laptop.
I've heard people talk about adobe photoshop but I have no idea what that has to do with digital drawing. One think I want to let you know is that for my laptop I won't have any way for internet access at all, so if you know of any software programs that I can install with a disk that would help a lot better.
So my question is does anyone know what digital art programs are out there and which ones are good?

SUUUPPPAAA

Re: Digital art programs

Post by SUUUPPPAAA » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:13 pm

Just to try it out at first I'd say grab a copy of Manga Studio 4 EX, it should be cheap since the 5th edition is out and it still holds up as a great art program. But if you wanna pay the big bucks then you can drop i thin $250 for manga studio 5 EX. Also if you're planning on doing digital art I would suggest getting a drawing tablet for your computer. Preferably a Wacom Intuos or Bamboo. They're both pretty amazing products.

Lunar_Raven_Drago

Post by Lunar_Raven_Drago » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:41 pm

I have no way to buy things off the internet. But do you know if they sell the Manga Studio 4EX in stores? If so where?

Zephio
MWS moderator

Post by Zephio » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:35 am

Lunar_Raven_Drago wrote:I've heard people talk about adobe photoshop but I have no idea what that has to do with digital drawing.
I use Adobe Photoshop for digital painting/drawing. Basically, I open up a blank canvas (of whatever size I want), and I use the paint brush tool to draw/paint. I change the color when I want to change a color. I change the opacity when I want things to be a little bit more opaque. I use it, relatively, similar to the way I draw or paint non-digitally.

The benefit with digital? Let's say I'm drawing a character. I like the outfit I have on my character, but I'm not quite sure what I want the hair to look like. With many digital programs (such as Photoshop), I can add a new layer and draw my new hairstyle on that layer. If I don't like it, I can just delete that layer that I drew the hair on without having to erase the rest of the body that I worked so hard to get right. Make sense?

The problem? You mentioned a program, but you did not mention having a tablet. When you draw on paper, you use a pencil or a pen. If you paint, you use a brush. If you digitally paint, you're going to want a tablet (since drawing with a mouse is extremely frustrating). A tablet (such as a Wacom Bamboo or Wacom Intuos), gives you a similar experience to paper drawing or canvas painting. You are actually holding a pen-like object, and you have access to pressure sensitivity.

As for programs, I'm not sure where you live (and so I'm not sure what stores you have access to). Perhaps a Staples? Or maybe try ordering from Amazon (on a computer with the internet) and having the disk shipped to you. Many programs have a Student version which is cheaper.

Lunar_Raven_Drago

Post by Lunar_Raven_Drago » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:05 am

I plan on getting a tablet after I can find a good program and get a laptop. If it helps any I live in PA about an hour, hour and a half from Pittsburgh.
As far as Amazon goes, as I said before I can't buy things off the internet. I don't have a credit card, and no one in my family does either. So I can't go through Amazon and Ebay.

Zephio
MWS moderator

Post by Zephio » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Not to push this subject, but I'm confused.
Do you not have access to the internet on your laptop?
Or do you not have a credit card?

I'm asking, because if you have any type of bank account (which you really should for future financial reasons), you can purchase from Amazon that way withOUT a credit card.
Now-a-days, it's hard to find places that sell programs in stores. And if they do, they will be the latest, greatest, and most expensive version. Staples is your best best, I think. Or, perhaps try like...a town festival where all the town members give away their used books/dvd's/furniture. But it's getting too cold for those, and I don't know the likelihood of that happening :(

Keep us posted, please. :D

Lunar_Raven_Drago

Post by Lunar_Raven_Drago » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:26 pm

Thank you both for your replys. But I decided not to get a laptop.
I can't betray a lover and that's what my sketchbooks have ever been. It's my life and it's my sanctuary from the world. I can't betray that, regardless of how much easier and faster my art would be with the digital programs. But again thank you for your replys non the less. And I'm sorry to have wasted your time.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:48 pm

It sounds kind of strange to me that you feel that it's necessary to choose one or the other. There's nothing wrong with getting a laptop but sticking to your sketchbook for your drawings. For me, as much as I like working digitally, it's hard to take my laptop everywhere I go so I carry a sketchbook with me instead.

Personally, I think it's a good idea to invest in a good computer/laptop. Even if you don't use it to draw digitally, it's a good idea to have one and get used to using it, especially nowadays if you want to get into the art world since many mainstream jobs require you be able to get around programs like Photoshop for editing, image cleanup and the like. While you can still get by on traditional mediums, being able to operate the digital mediums opens up many more doors career-wise, which is a very good thing with competition to get design jobs as high as it is.

Zephio
MWS moderator

Post by Zephio » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:33 pm

You didn't waste our time at all :)

And, I still think you should leave the door open to getting a laptop and trying it out. I do digital AND traditional art (frankly, a lot more traditional art still). But it's great to have that option. I don't think of it as a replacement for a medium, but simply as ANOTHER medium. (Kinda like how you don't replace drawing with painting, or pen and ink with sculpture).

We'd love to see your work!!

Lunar_Raven_Drago

Post by Lunar_Raven_Drago » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:40 am

I'll think about getting a laptop but I don't see it happening. Without you knowing who I am and what I have been through it's hard to explain why I chose one medium over another. I understand that in order to get anywhere in life it's best to have more then one skill in more then one area. I do get that, but. . . It's just complicated.

I would love to show you my art, but the only way I can put it on the internet is with a SD card from my digital camera. And everytime I try to put something on, the site keeps telling me the file is too big. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Or as usual the computer is pitching a fit. Which it does often. . . Any help on getting around that small problem would be helpful.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:39 am

I don't think it's your computer that's the problem. Your camera is probably saving the files at a size that is much higher than what the site allows. You'll need to use a graphic program to reduce the size of the picture so that it can be uploaded. Gimp (http://www.gimp.org) is a good free program that you can use.

Lunar_Raven_Drago

Post by Lunar_Raven_Drago » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:57 pm

Well I officially got a laptop today. I decided since it's the new year it's time for a change. Maybe even a change of heart. I also got a Wacom tablet. I still have some searching to do for a program but right now I was able to download a free app for autodesk sketchbook. It will defiantly take me some time to figure these things out but hope to have something to post to show you soon.

Zephio
MWS moderator

Post by Zephio » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:18 pm

That's awesome!!

Lunar_Raven_Drago

Post by Lunar_Raven_Drago » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:28 pm

Okay you mentioned buying the Manga Studio off of Amazon. Besides a credit card and a bank account is their any other way to pay for things? I saw on their site that they take visa gift cards along with their Amazon gift card and things like that. But most of the cards I've seen only go up to $100. And I know the program is more then that. So will it let me do more then one card if so how? As you can tell I know nothing about Amazon. And their help section. Is not helpful. So I'm hoping someone can help answer my question.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:08 pm

I just looked up the prices on Amazon. Except for Manga Studio EX 5, which is currently priced at $167, all other versions (including Manga Studio EX 4) are all less than $100.

Since you're just starting out, I recommend going with Manga Studio 5 (Click here to view.). It may be lacking in some features compared to the EX version, but for now it should be more than enough for you to get settled into working digitally.