Opening a Comic Book/Games store. NEED CUSTOMER ADVICE!

Talk about anything you like

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

SUUUPPPAAA

Opening a Comic Book/Games store. NEED CUSTOMER ADVICE!

Post by SUUUPPPAAA » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:08 pm

Hello forum goers!! Currently being busy will mountains of stuff BUT I'm having good progress... I hope haha. Almost finished with an 81 page oneshot which will probably go up here, school and what this thread is about, opening up a comic book/games store.

OK Here we go:
I'm hoping to have my store open by mid next year, cause getting licenses and whatnot takes so much time. I will have an Indiegogo campaign up by the beginning of January will a full blown commercial and all. But what I need are customer opinions on a few things:

1) I'm divided between two systems:
System one: Experience based system.
This will have customers "Gaining Levels" the more they purchase from the store. For every dollar they will gain one exp point. With each level gain comes perks and merits for the customer. Such as something like 10% off for the month for a free pack of magic cards, the higher levels range to either more extravagant perks or a possible permanent discount, something along those lines.

System two: Points based system.
For every five dollars spent they customer will receive two points. These points will be used to get stuff off a point wall. plain and simple.

2) There will be a Comic/Manga/Anime rental system. For a flat fee per month A customer will be able to come in a pick a certain amount of comic of their choosing to take home for probably about a weeks time. Now for the prices:
- 2 comics and 1 dvd set - 20.99/Month
- 4 comics and 2 dvd sets - 27.99/Month
- 6 comics and 3 dvd stes - 30.99/Month
There will of course be a late fee system since we are a small business unfortunately. There will also be an option to rent without a subscription so one doesn't have to commit to a monthly payment right away if they wanna try renting. That system will be 1 comic and 1 dvd set out at a time per customer but the cost of renting will be 25% of the retail price.

This will come for our library of sorts where the customers will be free to come, sit down in out lounge area and read/watch anything free of charge.

3) We will have game tournaments such as Magic and Yugioh etc. as well as set events for the two.

4) I'm also hoping to get good enough at drawing to be able to showcase work and even possibly be able to teach young children to encourage a future artists.

I probably missed other stuff I had but that's the basic idea. So from a customers point of view does this look doable as a store? What advice can you give me that would attract you to this place? Which store system would engage you better? I appreciate all the help I can get, thank you very much everyone!

Lunar_Raven_Drago

Re: Opening a Comic Book/Games store. NEED CUSTOMER ADVICE!

Post by Lunar_Raven_Drago » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:09 am

I hope I don't sound ignorant on something I say and I aplogize in advance if I do.

(1) I think as far as the two systems I would say they are both good ideas but I think the first might be more beneficent in the long run. On the other hand I think adults perhaps would be more attracted to the first and maybe children closer to the second, depending on what kind of cliental your trying to appeal to. As far as the points system it is a good idea however I think instead of having like say 10% off for a whole month why not do like maybe 10% or even 15% off there next rental purchase. Only because maybe people who visit like the place but don't live near enough to visit more then once a month. I know from personal experiance I can only get to a favorite place only once a month if I 'm lucky. And as far as the leveling up prizes I would play it by ear, see what brings in more profit and doesn't hurt you at the end of the day, if that's what your looking for, and stick with it.

(2) My personal point of view as far as the rental system, for me I would say maybe do only comics or only dvds. Not necessarily saying take one off to do the other, but maybe have a rental system for comics and one for dvds. If you stick with what you have I would say the prices are fair. But I would watch your bottom line at the end of day and ask yourself are my prices bringing in a profit or am I losing money? You made need to adjust your prices accordingly to the economy.

(3) Holding game tornaments are a great idea, I know for myself I can't find anywhere close to my home that holds trading card tornaments. By doing them you can get free advertising for your store, all by one person telling another. Plus they can be fun for kids an adults alike.

(4) An idea you could use for the art is why not have an art contest once every so often? You could set a theme and have people submit their art. You could give a prize like a pack of magic cards or something like that, you could also showcase the winning art work and that would bring in more art if you didn't have the time to create your own. I don't mean to sound rude, but a business does usaully runs you. The idea of teaching young children to draw is wonderful, with art becoming a dieing art, It's always nice to see someone trying to revive it.

All in all I would say it sounds as though you have put some thought into this idea instead of diving in head first and drowning later. I wish you good luck and I hope I'm helping you and not hurting you. Best wishes. . .

SUUUPPPAAA

Post by SUUUPPPAAA » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:24 pm

That's a generous reply and exactly what I wanted! Thank you :)
The two systems are the main thing that is causing strife with me. It's hard to decide which one will be more generally accepted without isolating customers that might wither find it too complicated to just something they can't get behind. I'm glad you think that the others are good ideas as well. Concerning the rentals, I want it to be as attractive as possible so that's why I'm including graphic novels/trade paperbacks/manga and Dvds (Both anime and comic related) in one package. I want that, "Wow that's something I just can't pass up" kind of feeling for the customer. I decided to add Dvds last minute however since anime and manga go hand in hand. Thanks for the feedback though and keep it coming everyone else!!

Lunar_Raven_Drago

Post by Lunar_Raven_Drago » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:13 am

The way you describe the rentals I can understand that why you would want to do it that way. You want something that will stand out from any competiton. Something that will be unique to your store and will keep people coming back. Definitely a smart idea.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:36 am

SUUUPPPAAA wrote: 2) There will be a Comic/Manga/Anime rental system. For a flat fee per month A customer will be able to come in a pick a certain amount of comic of their choosing to take home for probably about a weeks time. Now for the prices:
- 2 comics and 1 dvd set - 20.99/Month
- 4 comics and 2 dvd sets - 27.99/Month
- 6 comics and 3 dvd stes - 30.99/Month
There will of course be a late fee system since we are a small business unfortunately. There will also be an option to rent without a subscription so one doesn't have to commit to a monthly payment right away if they wanna try renting. That system will be 1 comic and 1 dvd set out at a time per customer but the cost of renting will be 25% of the retail price.
I don't really know how many DVDs are included in the sets, but it seems really expensive to rent at your rates. I could understand if it were a monthly membership fee that would allow customers to rent at a cheaper price and enjoy special discounts/bargains on various items, but for only the cost of rentals seems like it's not really worth it. Also, if I understood correctly and the set you're talking about is one with multiple discs, what happens if I don't like what I rented and I decided to stop watching after the first few episodes? That's one set that I just wasted my allotted rentals on. It's for this reason I think it's better to keep the rentals to single discs just in case the customer finds the series is not what they thought/what they were looking for.

4) I'm also hoping to get good enough at drawing to be able to showcase work and even possibly be able to teach young children to encourage a future artists.
One place I encountered when I was in the US held little artists' club types of meetings roughly once a week so that local artists could get together and share their works, give each other advice and basically just get some networking done. Although I don't know how well it worked (I just heard about it from the shop clerk), it might be something worth looking into.

SUUUPPPAAA

Post by SUUUPPPAAA » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:43 pm

@Ceta
I can understand where you say that it seems a tad pricey but just think about it. For 20.99 a month you can take out 2 graphic novels/Manga and 1 DVD set at a time. Once you're done, you can come back the next day and just get a different set, or even come back the same day. It's unlimited rentals for that set price. And for 27.99 you double the offer and for 30.99 the offer is tripled for the amount you can take out at a time. I might adjust the prices but also the area I'm looking at is a fairly wealthy neighborhood haha. And if they don't like what they rented then they come back and get something else. Unfortunately people can make mistakes like that haha.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:17 am

SUUUPPPAAA wrote:@Ceta
I can understand where you say that it seems a tad pricey but just think about it. For 20.99 a month you can take out 2 graphic novels/Manga and 1 DVD set at a time. Once you're done, you can come back the next day and just get a different set, or even come back the same day. It's unlimited rentals for that set price. And for 27.99 you double the offer and for 30.99 the offer is tripled for the amount you can take out at a time. I might adjust the prices but also the area I'm looking at is a fairly wealthy neighborhood haha. And if they don't like what they rented then they come back and get something else. Unfortunately people can make mistakes like that haha.
Now I understand. You had failed to mention some of those specifics (most particularly the part where it's unlimited rentals), so that's where I was getting confused.