Where are you now in life?

Talk about anything you like

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

FirstBorn
The Big Cheese

Post by FirstBorn » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:57 pm

Currently I'm 34 years old. And I feel old. :-( Eventhough I still play video games. Kick ass with my Xbox 360 and PC (currently playing EVE and WarFrame). I have a 30 year old wife and a 10 month old daughter. I work at a communications agency making (mobile) websites and mobile apps. I live in a nice city in The Netherlands, near Amsterdam where I work, in a nice 150 m2 house with a nice sunfilled garden. I had a lot of dreams and wishes. Some were fulfilled, others are still pending.

What about you guys?

bloodyspasm

Re: Where are you now in life?

Post by bloodyspasm » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:45 am

Hi guys (and gals),

it's been a while since I've been here (I was active around 2003/2004) so I doubt many of you still know me :-)

Currently I'm 25 years old (26 soon) and I just bought a house with my 24 year old girlfriend who I've been with for 9,5 years now. We've bought a house about a year and a half ago (that required a LOT of renovation) in Dendermonde-Belgium and we're getting married next year. I'm working for a consultancy company called C-dev, that belongs to the Cronos Group and I'm currently on a project for the European Commission since 2008.
I provide support for the Intranet of the European Commission.

I spend most of my free time playing videogames on Xbox360 and N3DS and playing Magic The Gathering semi-competitively. (both online on MTGO and offline in paper)
Creatively I haven't had much time to draw recently (except during boring meetings) and I also stopped writing for now (I was working on a book but then In Time , a movie with Justin Timberlake, came out and too many of the ideas in that film are identical to mine - Biggest difference being that the movie takes place in a futuristic setting while mine is more of a Fantasy/Steampunk setting)

cheers!
Robby

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Currently 32 and still working towards my larger goals. Because of all that I have going on at the moment, finding that special someone hasn't really happened so I'm still living the single life. I hope to find someone soon, but we'll see how things go. I need to find time to get out more first. (Doesn't help that I work six days a week, though.)

I've been working on improving my art/illustration abilities whenever possible (not as often as I'd like) in the hope that I can start doing some commission work and get my stuff known. In addition to working on writing, I plan to start studying programming to make some simple applications for handheld devices, like smartphones. (I studied a little bit of programming in college, so I'm not starting completely at scratch. However, I'll definitely be needing to refresh my memory on a lot of things.) As much as I would love to enter a company that would allow me to create games, with the job market as it is, I won't be changing jobs any time soon.

Although I do play video games, it's usually just during vacation times. In between vacations, I usually spend my time reading but during the previous summer vacation I started learning both the guitar and ukulele since I missed playing music (I used to play the saxophone from elementary through high school). Would be nice to reach the level where I can perform for/in front of people, but I don't have the skill or the confidence to do so. In the wintertime, I go snowboarding with friends (another hobby I started fairly recently). As much as I wish I could learn to do some fancy moves, my boss told me I'll get fired if I break a bone so, yeah, no tricks for me. Oh well.

For right now, however, because I have an examination coming up in December, my hobbies are pretty much just limited to keeping up with the guitar/ukulele. As for drawing, I draw quite a bit at work so I'm not too worried about getting rusty.

rabid panda

Post by rabid panda » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Well hell guys, long time no see!

Sadly my original account was one of the ones deleted but that's okay got my old name back.

Hmm, well where to start? I'm 30 now, out of the Navy finally and living in the greater Phoenix metro area. Still drawing and doing other shit.
Follow me on dA and Tumblr:
Deviantart
Tumblr

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:36 pm

Not sure if that was my fault but, in the event it was, my apologies. We've been getting attacked like crazy by spammers so I've been doing mass deletions of all those accounts. I've tried to be careful not to delete actual users in the process, but it's possible I might have overlooked some.

FirstBorn
The Big Cheese

Post by FirstBorn » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:15 am

I did the same, so maybe I need to apologize. In any case welcome back!

rabid panda

Post by rabid panda » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:39 pm

No worries guys. Totally understand, I checked the site from time to time and saw the flood of spam. S'all good.
Deviantart
Tumblr

major banana

Post by major banana » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:06 pm

27 here or 28? Something like that. I still work at a local newspaper here in jolly old Belgium. Married for a year or 2 with an american girl so i discovered life at the other side of the pond, best of both developed worlds bitches!

Didn't draw for ages, still echos from having any art motivation destroyed by art school. But then months ago i got a new story going and it got me into drawing again. It's most likely my life masterpiece so i put it in a drawer until drawing is routine again. So to practice i got a web comic or short story going now, it's RED HOT and i'm itching every day at work to come home and work on it. I'll put it in the art section in another thread.

I wrecked my Bandit (bike) a few months ago thanks to some blind bitch so that's ultra bummer. My precious oldtimer is in the barn, waiting for money.

Videogames are awesome as always and i made it my goal to stick to 1 game until it's finished and a 2nd game that can be whatever. Also cut down the game time a little cause otherwise nothing gets done.

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:20 am

im 24 now

im working as a computer technician, applying for portuguese citizenship, and planning on moving to scotland

i havent drawn in years, ive been seriously developing my computer skills instead. im looking to become certified in information security now...

yeah ._.

Mactire

Post by Mactire » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:36 am

Aww, I came back after a long time and the first thread I see is this one!
That's a bit depressing really. After all that time I'm still where I was. At least it feels that way.
Even though I know that's mot entirely true.

I worked a lot, became a realestate broker and when I decided that was not what I wanted to do I became an optician.
I've moved from working in stores to a hospital which is very nice and where I feel at home.
I did get a home, a vacation home but still live with my parents however, which is quite the achievement since I'm nearing my thirties.

So yeah, I guess life happened. Before you know it you're all grown up and basically you don't know what happened. ^_^

monkey

Post by monkey » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:44 am

Have only been browsing through the threads here from time to time but never really posted anything but I like it here so I want to be a bit more active again (= Besides that, where am I now in life.. I am trying to find a full time job and would like to do little work as a children's book illustrator beside my not yet existing full time job. Even though I really like drawing I havent been drawing much and am still far far away from being a pro. Since the time where I had to take a long break from drawing it is still kind of hard for me to really get into it again, dont really know why. The break was like 6-7 years ago. I am 27 now and feel like it was such a waste not having used all that time to improve.

Well overall I have been feeling stuck for quite some time now. I had a full time job (I actually learned a lot about anatomy in that job^^) but thought I wanted to do something else in the future and while I still had the chance I went back to study but things didn't really go as planned. While I don't regret quitting my job, I can't say I am 100% happy with how things turned out as I am kind of feeling lost now but I guess the important thing is to first find a job and get into drawing again.

rabid panda

Post by rabid panda » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:25 pm

Checking in. Just had a birthday earlier this month. 31 and I still can't open a box of cereal without the top looking like a turtle fucked it.
Deviantart
Tumblr

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:09 am

Thought I'd check in as well since there have been quite a few changes in my life since I last posted in this thread. Hard to believe it's already been a year since then.

Not too long after the post, things became very busy for me at work and I ended up having to dedicate most of my personal time in order to make sure that I was meeting my deadlines. In order to relieve my stress, I would practice my guitar or ukulele but not a whole lot of progress was made in art or the study of programming. When you have little time for anything, it's much easier to pick up an instrument and play a few songs before it's time to move on to the next thing or go to bed.

There are a lot of things that I wish I had done differently over the prior school year. While I realize that there's probably not much I could have done, I can't help but feel like I should have done more. Perhaps my life would have gone a different route if I had. After the company I worked for went bankrupt earlier this year due to some shady activities, I found myself suddenly looking for new employment. Had I at least continued with programming, I'm sure I could have found work almost immediately after getting tossed into unemployment.

Things haven't changed too much over the past few months. Each day I spend my time searching the internet for jobs that I think I qualify for and then spend my time waiting for a response. Most respond with rejection, a few don't even respond at all, but then there are a few who actually schedule an interview. However, the outcome is all the same. Now that my possibilities have narrowed greatly compared to when I first started job-hunting, I've started to find a lot of free time opening up so I will be using this newfound opportunity to work on my art and programming studies.

Zephio
MWS moderator

Post by Zephio » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:49 pm

Ceta!!

I'm sorry to hear about your unemployment and your job search that seems to be a little bit less than perfect right now. I know it's hard to stay positive, but keeping busy with art and programming will definitely help. I'm sure you'll find something soon :)

In the meantime, I expect you to start posting your stuff. It'll hopefully bring some life back into these forms.

As for me, I have been busy working at the same company for 3 years at this point (time as flown). Unfortunately, I'm not very happy doing what I do (accounting), and so I'm starting to feel a little stuck in life about my career choice decision. Our busy season will be coming up soon, so my time to do any artwork is quickly fading. In the meantime, I've been painting when I get a chance, and continuing doing digital work. I updated my website (www.zephio.org) and I've taken on some commissioned pieces (paintings) and tshirt designs.

Goci

Post by Goci » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:48 pm

Awesome, this place still exists!

I hung around here a lot during my secondary school years. I have such great memories about my time here, I learned a lot about drawing and I made some friends that I'm still in touch with (be it sparsely)... It's been so long, and yet the forum (the NEW forum, haha, I still remember how we mourned over the loss of the old one) is still here!

I'm 27 now, currently looking for a career switch and trying to pick up drawing again.

Cheers!
Pink is my style. Image