Freedom of Speech and Democracy (rant thread)

Talk about anything you like

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

Az

Freedom of Speech and Democracy (rant thread)

Post by Az » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:41 pm

Right, it's time for me to rant.
I'm feeling really pissed off, as this very much involves me and many of my people.

The other day, Jyllandsposten (a Danish newspaper) posted a series of cartoons of Mohammed the Prophet, depicting him as among other things, a terrorist.
Now, I may not be religious, I don't pray or go to the mosque, but fact remains, Mohammed and his teachings are a part of my cultural heritage. I, among other muslims (believers or not) are extremely offended by this, and also very scared.
Extremists of the Islamic religion (it's not even right to call them that, they're not part of Islam IMO, they're fucking terrosist sons of bitches) will most certainly go to extremes. Not only in Denmark; but also in Norway and Sweden, as the stupid politicians of our countries have exclaimed that "the Danish government owe no apology to the muslims of the world".

Oh, I think they very much fucking do.
Jyllandsposten has already apologized though, and that's good. But you'd think the government have more of an idea wtf their newspapers are publishing.

I know what most of you are about to say; democracy and freedom of speech.
Well, I'll have you know there's a difference between freedom of speech, expressing your thoughts AND OFFENDING AN ENTIRE RELIGION.
I don't know all the circumstances, but I think that the whole thing started as a "insult Mohammed the Prophet"-competition =_= IGNORANT MORONS. Now the whole of Scandinavia (meaning me and all my friends) are in trouble for what some dumbass Dane did.

I know there are things out there making fun of Jesus Christ. But guess what? Muslims never made fun of him, westeners did. (the fact is that Jesus is a prophet for the muslim people as well) so that arguments holds nothing.

Religion is an EXTREMELY sensitive subject and should NOT be messed around with.
lululu luk @ me im on the internets

sixtem

Post by sixtem » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:24 am

Alright. I'm not going to be nice, and there's no reason I should be.

This is okay. Perfectly okay. Yes, I agree that it's damn ignorant, but so what? GET THE FUCK OVER IT. "Oh boohoo! My religion was made fun of! We should start censoring people because I have a stick up my ass!"

Get the hell over it. It's people like you that made the USA like this (the evangelical Christians are the ones I'm referring to). Just because you're Muslim doesn't mean you're not as goddamn stupid as the far right in America.

Religion is a touchy subject. People may think Muslims are terrorists because of some extremists (yes they're actual Muslims, whether you can deal with it or not). But y'know what? People think I'm a devil-worshipper because I'm Wiccan. That doesn't even make sense, Wicca doesn't even have a devil. And you know what? I fucking deal with it.

There is no reason somebody can't poke fun at all of you uptight fucks. In fact, they should. That way you may realize that it isn't the end of the world. For some reason, whenever religion's mentioned everything should be censored for YOU. And yes, there are non-Christian/westerners that make fun of Jesus.

DEAL WITH IT. This is the real world, learn to fucking cope.

There should be no such thing as censorship in a subject like this.

The Raging Spaniard
Awsome Moderator

Post by The Raging Spaniard » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:37 am

so we can talk about whatever we want .... just not about whatever you really find insulting?

Sorry, thats not freedom
Xavier Garcia

Concept Artist

Portfolio
Twitter
Tumblr

sixtem

Post by sixtem » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:39 am

The Raging Spaniard wrote:so we can talk about whatever we want .... just not about whatever you really find insulting?

Sorry, thats not freedom
Stop summing up everything I said in 2 sentences :?

Dustin C.
Jounin Moderator

Post by Dustin C. » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:19 am

sixtem wrote:
The Raging Spaniard wrote:so we can talk about whatever we want .... just not about whatever you really find insulting?

Sorry, thats not freedom
Stop summing up everything I said in 2 sentences :?
six, dont be so "uptight" about it. :wink:

it's ok az, i can see how you would be scared. after the 9/11 attacks in america, angry people went on a witch hunt for "terrorists" (aka. anyone from or having anything to do with, the general vicinity of afghanistan).
and from what your saying about the political cartoon making muslims into terroists, i can see how that would be offending and a bit unnerving.

did bush visit you guys recently or something?

Saintarsenic

Post by Saintarsenic » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:02 am

LOL I find this entire issue to be hilarious. With the Hamas winning the victory and this, Arabs are losing sympathy from every western powers, even from their muslim brothers like the Turks. When someone discovers an alternative form of fuel other than oil, their entire society will collapse.

Zephio
MWS moderator

Post by Zephio » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:01 am

Religion is a touchy subject, like sixtem said. I'm able to laugh at my religion because of so many holes that you CAN make fun of that real extremists try to cover up. The fact that some religions think some guy up in heaven is controlling us all, or a cow is my savior is just ASKING for people to express their opinions about it. Hell at least the cartoons are doing it in a non-violent comical way. Plus i believe that if you can look at something that you belief in and laugh about it, then it's better.

But to ask people to stop making fun of things that you don't find funny/insults you and nothing else. THAT is where the problem comes from.

They have the freedom to write it, you have the freedom to NOT READ IT

konflikti

Post by konflikti » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:22 am

I'll just say most muslims are fucking idiots for blaming whole fucking country for one damn newspaper. They don't even seem to realize that goverment has nothing to do with the newspaper, nor can do nothing about it(or should be able).
Why don't we share a solitude? Let's travel alone, together.

rabid panda

Post by rabid panda » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:13 am

religion is the single greatest thing going for humans in that it can bind us all together like no other thing, and yet it is the saddest thing too because people focus too much on little differences to divide us. break it down to its basest form. mohammad=jesus=buddha. one love people. except for those fucking mormons. those big teethed bastards can rot in hell for all i care.

FirstBorn
The Big Cheese

Post by FirstBorn » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:46 am

rabid panda wrote:religion is the single greatest thing going for humans in that it can bind us all together like no other thing, and yet it is the saddest thing too because people focus too much on little differences to divide us. break it down to its basest form. mohammad=jesus=buddha. one love people. except for those fucking mormons. those big teethed bastards can rot in hell for all i care.
I kind of agree with Panda here.

90% of all wars were caused by difference in Religion, while all religions have a writen copy (Koran, Bible, etc) telling them to life in piece with oneanother. What gives?

Az

Post by Az » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:57 pm

Ok, Sixtem, I'm not gonna be nice either.
This is a rant thread after all.

It seems you're quite an idiot. By publishing those pictures, people were not just making fun of Mohammed, they were making fun of the ENTIRE MUSLIM COMMUNITY. Have you even seen the pictures? No? Then shut the fuck up.

There's a little thing in this world called respect. You know, the thing people lack for you?

I am VERY much for freedom of speech. But these pics were in NO WAY freedom of speech. Or do you mean to say it's ok to generalize and think "Oh, all muslims are terrorists and are gonna blow us up"?
Well fucking think again; if you put your brain to work (I promise, it's not very hard) you will find that TERRORISTS are not MUSLIMS, which is why it is wrong to depict them like that.

And that's not all.
By publishing those pictures, those Danish racist cumguzzlers endager THE WHOLE OF FUCKING SCANDINAVIA. Where the FUCK do they get at publishing that in worried religion-times like these, under the constant pressure of terrorism?

Konflikti; You need to do some research, bro. If you look at Saudiarabia and Denmark, you will see clear differences in government. Saudiarabia has a VERY (too) tight grip on their media, whereas the Danish government doesn't. Personally, I think it's enough that Jyllandsposten apologized, but still, don't call even MOST muslims are fucking idiots, because that's generalizing and makes you look like a fucking redneck whore.

What I'm saying, people, is that these cartoons are the embodiment of what most muslims hate; to be pictured as low-life terrorists. It's VERY personal, you're not just making fun of the Prophet, you're making fun of the PEOPLE. It's a little thing called racism, and as far as I can see, some of you are endorsing it :]

Personally I don't see why you should make fun of something somebody else holds dear. It's NOT called freedom of speech. It's called being an asshole

Dus: Nar, Bush hasn't come here:P I think there'd be a riot if he did :/ tsk tsk, those wild Swedes xD

TdB

Re: Freedom of Speech and Democracy (rant thread)

Post by TdB » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:08 pm

[quote="Az"]Right, it's time for me to rant.
I'm feeling really pissed off, as this very much involves me and many of my people.

The other day, Jyllandsposten (a Danish newspaper) posted a series of cartoons of Mohammed the Prophet, depicting him as among other things, a terrorist.
Now, I may not be religious, I don't pray or go to the mosque, but fact remains, Mohammed and his teachings are a part of my cultural heritage. I, among other muslims (believers or not) are extremely offended by this, and also very scared.
Extremists of the Islamic religion (it's not even right to call them that, they're not part of Islam IMO, they're fucking terrosist sons of bitches) will most certainly go to extremes. Not only in Denmark; but also in Norway and Sweden, as the stupid politicians of our countries have exclaimed that "the Danish government owe no apology to the muslims of the world".

Oh, I think they very much fucking do.
Jyllandsposten has already apologized though, and that's good. But you'd think the government have more of an idea wtf their newspapers are publishing.

I know what most of you are about to say; democracy and freedom of speech.
Well, I'll have you know there's a difference between freedom of speech, expressing your thoughts AND OFFENDING AN ENTIRE RELIGION.
I don't know all the circumstances, but I think that the whole thing started as a "insult Mohammed the Prophet"-competition =_= IGNORANT MORONS. Now the whole of Scandinavia (meaning me and all my friends) are in trouble for what some dumbass Dane did.

I know there are things out there making fun of Jesus Christ. But guess what? Muslims never made fun of him, westeners did. (the fact is that Jesus is a prophet for the muslim people as well) so that arguments holds nothing.

Religion is an EXTREMELY sensitive subject and should NOT be messed around with.[/quote]

No idea wasup but.......mm ok

GO DJIBOUTI,

No, im just screwing around.....

all this is just wierd, denmark is a small fucking country (sure djibouti is smaller but i mean OUR NAME IS AWSOME, i mean just say it to ur self) and they have no respect for any other country than themselves, as Az sed freedom of speech is a good thing but this isnt freedom of speech. If this was a satyrical than it would be ok (not good but excepted). but the thing is that the danish paper sent out an advert asking for a picture insulting Muhammed the profet (im not muslim) but thats just a general lack of respect for all muslims. It was just evil what they did and it shouldnt be accepted

Goci

Post by Goci » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:10 pm

Eh, right Az. :|
I saw those pictures too, and IMHO they are NOT insulting the whole religion of the Islam AT ALL. They are clearly meant to put another question mark behind terrorism. They're just showing extremists a mirror: "see what you're doing? It has no use at all". Unfortunately for you as a muslim, the biggest part of modern terrorism HAS its roots in Islam. There's nothing you can do about it. If cartoonists want to make a good working cartoon about terrorism, Islamic aspects will be used. Terrorists base their actions on your Koran!
If you're not the extreme kind of muslim, you know that those cartoons were not meant to insult YOU.

By the way, n00b-in-post-above-me, reduce your icon size (plus, get a tasteful one instead)
Pink is my style. Image

Az

Post by Az » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:37 pm

In your humble opinion? What the fuck? Well of course they're not. You're not muslim and can't see from the point of view of muslims :S

Let me ask you; what religion do you belong to? Christianity? Yeah, one word for you: crusades.
I don't think you would know anything about them, so allow me to explain: crusades were done by Christian people, they went around and plundered and raped and destroyed whatever they could find. Isn't that terrorism? I do believe so. Am I racking down on Christians for that? Wouldn't dream of it.

You lot seem to think the Koran is a handbook of Death. Have you ever read it? Do you, for a fact, KNOW that it says: Kill innocent men, women and children?
No?
Then I strongly advise you to either read up on your facts or sit down and shut up.
And if you're gonna say something about Jihad, save your breath. Jihad is holy WAR not holy TERRORISM.

Furthermore: we see the pics as an insult to our religion and our people. Mohammed was NOT a terrorist, we are NOT terrorists.
Terrorists just use our religion as an excuse, WHEN will you fucking get that? Did you know most of them are young men fooled by old geezers who're not even religious to blow up something or go to hell?
Those geezers aren't Muslim.

The Raging Spaniard
Awsome Moderator

Post by The Raging Spaniard » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:46 pm

girl, youre confusing freedom of speech with moral responsibilities.

I have the total and awesome freedom to say "fuck your god" but I might decide not to because its the proper thing.

Meaning, these people are not doing the right thing, but they should be free to say it. What would you do to them? Have them tortured? Prosecuted? Slain? You would be just as bad as them.

Sure, its unfortunate, but thats the way the world works and the way to fix it is not trough censorship, that teaches nothing, its trough better educational systems that people can develop a moral sense of conduct.
Xavier Garcia

Concept Artist

Portfolio
Twitter
Tumblr