Out of curiosity

Talk about anything you like

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

Ceta
MWS moderator

Out of curiosity

Post by Ceta » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Since things have been relatively slow as of late, I was wondering what everyone has been up to lately. So, I've got a few questions for anyone reading this:

1) Have you been working on any art lately? If so, what's your latest accomplishment?

2) If you haven't been working on art, what have you been working on? If you haven't finished it yet, how far have you gotten?

3) If you haven't been working on anything as of late, what's been keeping you busy?

As for me, I've been working on my 4-panel comic but, due to how many things I need to make for work, it's been pretty off-and-on. I'm nearing completion, however, which is good. (Only 15 left to go! Yay!) The only bad part is that I still need to redraw all the comics so that they can be posted online. When I can do this is hard to say, but I'll definitely get to it one day.

I really wish that there were a few more hours in the day, though. With all that has changed ever since I moved back in April, it's been hard to find the time to do everything that I want. Every day I have to sacrifice doing something in order to make sure that I am up-to-date with something else, which is usually time since I end up spending a lot of it in overtime at work. (What really sucks is that all those overtime hours are unpaid.) I'll be happy when summer vacation starts next month; I'll have a lot of free time to do everything that I want/need to take care of. Hopefully this will mean updates to my art thread since it's been horribly neglected for the longest time. =P

For those of you wondering why I moved: Apparently there were a bunch of staff members who did some pretty stupid things -- what exactly, I don't know, but apparently they were things warned against by the company -- and, as a result, my company decided to clean house and gave a bunch of them (if not all) the boot. Afterward, members from the branch areas -- myself included -- were transferred in to take their places. The job, for the most part, is the same but getting to-and-from work is a pain since 1) I'm usually carrying a lot of stuff and 2) my only mode of transportation is a bicycle. (I don't have a driver's license since having a car is expensive as hell due to taxes, and for some odd reason there are no buses that go in that direction.) While sunny and cloudy days are no-problem, it sucks beyond belief when it rains since it takes 30 minutes or so to get there -- 40 or more if it's windy since the wind is usually a headwind and quite strong due to the fact that most of the area is composed of rice fields (not enough trees to reduce the wind, unfortunately).

monkey

Re: Out of curiosity

Post by monkey » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:33 pm

1) Have you been working on any art lately? If so, what's your latest accomplishment?
last real art i did was a greeting card for fathers day which was a bit over a week ago. now i m trying to catch up with the drawings i missed to draw. i made a resolution this year to draw at least one pic/sketch/doodle a day. even though i couldnt always draw a pic since i was too busy with studies, i still want to have a pic for each day. my goal is to have 365 pics at the end of the year (= now 7 more pics to left to catch up yay
2) If you haven't been working on art, what have you been working on? If you haven't finished it yet, how far have you gotten?
even though uni ended there is still another course where i havent finished all assignments yet )=. i feel like until i havent cleared the assignments i cant draw anything except the little drawings a day. there is this one pencil drawing that i want to start coloring already..
3) If you haven't been working on anything as of late, what's been keeping you busy?
i have lots of things i need to take care of before i can start enjoying my vacation and start drawing. and just a few more hours you say you wished to have, i think a few wouldnt be enough lol

one thing that is kind of hindering me from getting things done is me being so tired.. maybe i lack some sleep but i guess the heat is the main reason, feels like all my energy is being drained. it s around 34 degrees now and everything above 27 degree is already too much for me D=

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:50 pm

I wish I could do the same. Getting to draw something every day sounds great. Well, things that you want to draw, anyway. (While I'm usually drawing something, it's mostly stuff for work so I don't have much control over what it is.) I hope you're able to stick with your goal. That said, do you plan on posting your stuff here? I hope so; it'd be neat to see how much you progress over the course of the year.

As for the weather, I agree, it's getting pretty tough to stay awake with the heat on the rise. Right now, it's still under 30 degrees here but the humidity has really been out of control and it's probably just going to get worse as the summer progresses. (It has been especially bad the past few days due to the typhoon that's currently blowing through.) If the caffeine didn't give me the shakes, I'd totally be sneaking energy drinks in to work. Have you been doing anything to combat the heat?

Zephio
MWS moderator

Post by Zephio » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:04 pm

For the past couple months I had been diong a bunch of oil paintings of landscapes. Nothing manga/anime related. I did finally got back into digital painting after a long hiatus, and posted 3 new pieces on my website. I'm semi-working on another piece which I'll post here when it gets more progress done on it. Though still, none of any of it is anime/manga.
Aside from that, I've been moving. After 2 years of living at my apartment, it's time to move on. You forget how much you have to pack up to completely move out of a place.... (so much crap). This Sunday is my be-all-end-all date though, so yeahhhhh.
Also my health has been relatively shitty as of late. I've been in and out of the hospital a lot, and just generally recovering from surgery that I hope no one ever has to get (rectal) :mrgreen:

Ceta - Good topic started. I had been wondering where everyone on this forum went/what everyone's been up to. Also...the bicycle commuting sounds TERRIBLE.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:26 pm

Zephio wrote:For the past couple months I had been diong a bunch of oil paintings of landscapes. Nothing manga/anime related. I did finally got back into digital painting after a long hiatus, and posted 3 new pieces on my website. I'm semi-working on another piece which I'll post here when it gets more progress done on it. Though still, none of any of it is anime/manga.
You should post some stuff here as well. Haven't seen much art on the forums in a while. Just a couple pieces from people from time-to-time, but it's quite few and far between.
Aside from that, I've been moving. After 2 years of living at my apartment, it's time to move on. You forget how much you have to pack up to completely move out of a place.... (so much crap). This Sunday is my be-all-end-all date though, so yeahhhhh.
I definitely know how you feel. When I had to move last year, I had moved out of a place I had been staying at for four years. Deciding on what to keep and what to toss in the trash was pretty rough. Best of luck to you on the move, though. When you've gotten settled in your new place, please be sure to post an update and let everyone know how it went. ^_^
Also my health has been relatively shitty as of late. I've been in and out of the hospital a lot, and just generally recovering from surgery that I hope no one ever has to get (rectal) :mrgreen:
That's rough. My condolences to you on that. Everything is all right now, right?
Ceta - Good topic started. I had been wondering where everyone on this forum went/what everyone's been up to. Also...the bicycle commuting sounds TERRIBLE.
Thanks. With how few visits the forum has been getting lately, I, too, began to wonder what happened to everyone. Kind of sad (and a bit lonely) when everyone that was frequently posting before has pretty much disappeared. Hopefully everyone will be able to come back soon.

As for the bicycle commuting, I've gotten used to it and it's not so bad so long as the weather is nice. Last week, there was a typhoon rolling in and the weather was pretty horrid. My bag, which usually does a pretty good job at keeping water out in normal circumstances, couldn't keep out all the water and ended up leaking a bit. The notebooks in the bag ended up getting a bit water damaged, which made me sad since one is the notebook in which I've been drawing my 4-panel manga. (T_T)

monkey

Post by monkey » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:08 am

that sounds bad =( wish you a speedy recovery!
I wish I could do the same. Getting to draw something every day sounds great. Well, things that you want to draw, anyway. (While I'm usually drawing something, it's mostly stuff for work so I don't have much control over what it is.)
can i ask what you work as?
I hope you're able to stick with your goal. That said, do you plan on posting your stuff here? I hope so; it'd be neat to see how much you progress over the course of the year.
i didnt take the notebook with me for who knows why i decided not to take it with me.. im studying abroad and am now back home the whole summer vacation. but i did take the other notebook with me, will post some pics later.
Have you been doing anything to combat the heat?
nothing that i can think of that would help. do you have any good idea against the heat? well luckily it has cooled down a bit now.

but the weather still makes me feel tired, lazy and unmotivated, i have been procrastinating the whole time since im back home lol there are so many things i need and want to do but i feel so unmotivated to do anything. if someone has great advice how to get oneself motivated again, that would be great.. really great.. oh man, it really took me one week to reply in this thread, i was thinking: i will write later, i will write later. and before i knew it, 1 week has already passed o_o
The notebooks in the bag ended up getting a bit water damaged, which made me sad since one is the notebook in which I've been drawing my 4-panel manga.
ah that sucks, i totally feel for you =(