Space is Beautiful and Awesome - The Astronomy Megathread

Talk about anything you like

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

Kodos
Location: Virgo Supercluster; Local Group; Milky Way Galaxy; Orion Spiral Arm; Sol; Earth

Post by Kodos » Sun May 10, 2009 1:19 pm

Maybe it's 'cause I just woke up, but I don't see the mistake(s)? Antimatter is expensive, difficult, and slow to produce. You can conceivably up the rate of production, of course, and I have written, in my fiction, of a way it might be done, but even then antimatter is only a power container, a battery, and not a power source.
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge."
~Bertrand Russell

gatrosk

Post by gatrosk » Mon May 11, 2009 12:10 am

The problem with antimatter as a power source is pretty much the fact that it is absurdly costly, in terms of energy and money, to produce the shit. Pretty much you can never get more energy from annihilation than you spent in the process of making the antimatter in the first place. There's a net loss of energy, not a net gain. A similar problem exists with antimatter as a weapon, there is simply no way to produce weapon quantities of the stuff at the present and it would take CERN a few billion years, at their current output, to produce enough antimatter to carry the destructive force ofone hydrogen bomb, which obviously exist in far greater numbers and are far cheaper and quicker to make.
Turns out there was only one. ^_^

On another note, I just saw the new Star Trek (excellent by the way) and there is a lot of talk about black holes. At one point an entire vessel passes through one, and I was just wondering if its possible for anything to go into a black hole and remain intact...
Well, basically, a star is pretty much just a big giant nuclear fireball held together by gravity. Granted it's plasma and not fire, but otherwise it's pretty spot on.Stars begin mostly as contracting globs of hydrogen and helium in nebulae, with a few small bits of other, heavier, elements tossed in for flavor. As they contract the core eventually becomes dense enough that nuclear fusion starts to happen. This fusion process steadily converts chunks of the star's hydrogen reserved into more helium. At this point the star is also kept from collapsing under its own gravity by the force of its internal pressure. Now, what happens when a star runs out of hydrogen fuel? Red giants, that's what.
One more punctuation mistake I found under stars... emboldened, once again.
Last edited by gatrosk on Mon May 11, 2009 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fate rarely calls upon us at the moment of our choosing. - Optimus Prime

Kodos
Location: Virgo Supercluster; Local Group; Milky Way Galaxy; Orion Spiral Arm; Sol; Earth

Post by Kodos » Mon May 11, 2009 12:12 am

gatrosk wrote:
The problem with antimatter as a power source is pretty much the fact that it is absurdly costly, in terms of energy and money, to produce the shit. Pretty much you can never get more energy from annihilation than you spent in the process of making the antimatter in the first place. There's a net loss of energy, not a net gain. A similar problem exists with antimatter as a weapon, there is simply no way to produce weapon quantities of the stuff at the present and it would take CERN a few billion years, at their current output, to produce enough antimatter to carry the destructive force ofone hydrogen bomb, which obviously exist in far greater numbers and are far cheaper and quicker to make.
Turns out there was only one. ^_^

On another note, I just saw the new Star Trek (excellent by the way) and there is a lot of talk about black holes. At one point an entire vessel passes through one, and I was just wondering if its possible for anything to go into a black hole and remain intact...
Probably not. The gravity is absurdly intense. But, again, who knows. We have no clue what goes on beyond event horizons, really.
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge."
~Bertrand Russell

gatrosk

Post by gatrosk » Mon May 11, 2009 12:14 am

Hmmm, interesting. Can't wait for the black hole OP...

Savage Hunter

Post by Savage Hunter » Mon May 11, 2009 12:44 am

I doubt that its possible to go through a black hole. If the gravity doesnt kill you smashing into a dead star might. But as Kodos said, we don't really know what goes on beyond the event horizon.

[quote=gatrosk]Can't wait for the black hole OP...[/quote]

I second that!
"La tristesse durera toujours... (The sadness will last forever...)" - Vincent Van Gogh

"I wish I could throw off the thoughts which poison my happiness, but I take a kind of pleasure in indulging them." - Frederic Chopin

gatrosk

Post by gatrosk » Mon May 11, 2009 12:54 am

Hey Savage, what's up with all your borked tags? None of them work...

Sedystra

Post by Sedystra » Mon May 11, 2009 1:06 am

Savage~

"until he was die but was not until the assassin was die before him/his death that was dead." -Isamu

Savage Hunter

Post by Savage Hunter » Mon May 11, 2009 1:22 am

I have no clue... I think I screwed something up... -_-"
Is there some sort of noob filter so my tags dont work?
"La tristesse durera toujours... (The sadness will last forever...)" - Vincent Van Gogh

"I wish I could throw off the thoughts which poison my happiness, but I take a kind of pleasure in indulging them." - Frederic Chopin

gatrosk

Post by gatrosk » Mon May 11, 2009 1:37 am

Most likely, but if you have any further questions you should probably take them to another thread as to not clog up Kodos' thread. Pm'ing a mod would probably be your best bet, but I'm sure there are plenty of other threads where your inquiries would be well suited. :]

Savage Hunter

Post by Savage Hunter » Mon May 11, 2009 2:22 am

True dat. I don't really have any questions at the moment, so I'll shut up until I think of one.

konflikti

Post by konflikti » Mon May 11, 2009 6:20 am

You forgot "". [quote="gatrosk"] [/quote] is the correct way.
Why don't we share a solitude? Let's travel alone, together.

gatrosk

Post by gatrosk » Mon May 11, 2009 12:40 pm

Ha, I didn't even see that's what the problem was. Thanks Kon. ^_^

Well, there you go Savage, have a ball.

gatrosk

Post by gatrosk » Tue May 12, 2009 11:30 pm

Dude...
*epic face-palm*

Savage Hunter

Post by Savage Hunter » Wed May 13, 2009 9:32 am

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!11111!!!!!one!!!!!!!!!exclamtion mark!!!!!!!!

He ruined a perfectly good thread... :cry: How has no mod seen this shit? Seriously?

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Wed May 13, 2009 9:43 am

Savage Hunter wrote:Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!11111!!!!!one!!!!!!!!!exclamtion mark!!!!!!!!

He ruined a perfectly good thread... :cry: How has no mod seen this shit? Seriously?
Because our mods have lives.

Don't worry, the second one of them see it, it'll be gone.