Swine Flu (Or A/H1N1) Megathread.

Talk about anything you like

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Swine Flu (Or A/H1N1) Megathread.

Post by Aether » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:09 am

Okay. There is a lot of worry and talk circulating the world about this new strain of influenza.
I have done my own research over a couple of days and this is solid fact. I have interviewed medical experts, read papers, dug up information on websites, everything. I did this to inform as many people as possible on the swine flu.
The information I post in this thread is complete fact, not some made up shit to make you all feel better.

You may distribute this information as you please. I made this to spread awareness and to help people.

Right, let's get started.

Press Ctrl+F and Copy and Paste of the below sections in bold. I did this for easy access.
To return to the top of this page press Ctrl+Home.

Symptoms
Precautionary Information
Cases
History
Attributions

Symptoms
Swine flu carries many, if not all of the same symptoms as bird or human influenza. This is merely a new strain of the virus which our bodies are not yet familiar with. Our immune systems has not encountered a flu like this, and so, people are dying just like people died from the first outbreak on influenza.
The swine flu strain, known as A/H1N1. It is the same strain that causes seasonal flu outbreaks in humans, but the newly detected version contains genetic material from versions of flu which usually affect pigs and birds. It is spread mainly through coughs and sneezes.

Symptoms include:
Head: Fever and lethargy
Neck: Sore throat
Chest: Cough
Stomach: No appetite
Lower bowels: Nausea/vomiting

If any these symptoms are present, seek professional medical advice immediately. Within 48 hours, some form of medicine can be given to help combat the virus, such as Tamiflu and Relenza. These are well known and highly effective medicines, however, this is a international pandemic. And so all countries only have limited supplies of the drugs.
If prescribed the drugs, take the entire course. If you do not follow the course of the prescription, the swine flu can become immune to the drugs and a new, even more deadly strain of the virus can be spread.
Section ended.

Precautionary Information
Q. How is the virus spread?
A. It is passed from human to human through coughing or sneezing.

Q. How infectious is it?
A. Infected people may be able to pass the virus to others beginning one day before symptoms develop and up to seven or more days after becoming sick.

Q. Is it safe to eat pork?
A. Yes, swine flu is not transmitted by food.
***Note: While it is said to be safe to eat pork. I strongly advise you steer clear of it until a vaccination has been found.***

Q. If I have swine flu, what should I do?
A. If you have returned from an infected country and suspect you have the flu, seek immediate medical treatment. A doctor will conduct a nasal and mouth swab for testing. Limit contact with other people. Cover your nose and mouth to stop germs spreading.

***Note: Australia only.***
Q. What is the government doing to prepare?
A. Australia is on high alert. International pilots will be required to monitor passengers for flu symptoms. Two testing laboratories set up in Westmead and Southeast Sydney. Officials are liaising with international agencies. All GPs and emergency departments have been briefed on flu symptoms. Daily updates will be issued to the public.

It is also advised to wear Medical and Industrial Respiratory Protection Masks. However, you must change these masks every 24 hours for them to be fully effective.
Section ended.

Cases
Here is a list of cases for swine flu.
Mexico:
149 confirmed dead
1614 confirmed infections
Possible suspected infections

Canada:
0 confirmed dead
6 confirmed infections

US:
0 confirmed dead
20 confirmed infections

Colombia:
0 confirmed dead
0 confirmed infections
9suspected infections

Spain:
0 confirmed dead
1 confirmed infection
7 suspected infections

UK:
0 confirmed dead
2 confirmed infections
24 suspected cases

France:
0 confirmed dead
0 confirmed infections
2 suspected infections

Israel:
0 confirmed dead
0 confirmed infections
1 suspected infection

Australia:
0 confirmed dead
0 confirmed infections
5 suspected infections

New Zealand:
0 confirmed dead
0 confirmed infections
14 suspected infections

Asia:
No confirmed or suspected infections as of yet.

Total confirmed dead: 149
Total confirmed infections: 1643
Total suspected infections: Possibly hundreds
***Note: These figures may or may not have risen. I have tried to be as accurate as possible.***
Section ended.

History
1918-1919:
Spanish flu. Claims between 30 million and 50 million worldwide.

1957-1958:
The Asian flu causes more than 1 million deaths around the world.

1968-1969:
An outbreak of Hong Kong influenza kills approximately 33,000 people in the US.

1977:
Russian flu in young people around the world creates fears of a pandemic.

1997:
Asian influenza, or bird flu. A new strain, influenza A H5N1, emerged in 1997 in Hong Kong. At least 6 people died, hundreds infected. The threat continues today.

2002:
SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) which causes pneumonia. Outbreak in China spread to at least 35 countries. There were 8096 known cases of infection and 774 deaths.
Section ended.

Attributions
The Daily Telegraph
The Sydney Morning Herald
www.nswhealth.gov.au
Several medical experts who prefer to remain anonymous.
***Note: Sorry, due to the MEAA Code of Ethics (Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance) I will not distribute my sources personal information against their will. Nor will I distribute them for any form of bribery, etc. These are my sources anyway. Find your own, but I've done the work for you.***
Research carried out and compiled by Aether Alexis Beleren.
Section ended.

FirstBorn
The Big Cheese

Post by FirstBorn » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:51 am

Hi Aether! Awesome post! I've been living under a rock for a few days now and I only heard of the flu since yesterday. I read everything and I really feel up to date now. I have to call my family-in-law in Mexico and ask them how they are. :-S

EDIT: Fixed typos
Last edited by FirstBorn on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:37 am

ugh....I really hope that doesn't make it to Japan....

Excalibur

Post by Excalibur » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:19 pm

Wow, Israel sure is doing good.
ugh....I really hope that doesn't make it to Japan....
Wow, it would spread quickly over there with all the people crammed in there.
"I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born." -Ronald Reagan

If you believe the big bang, please consider this http://tiny.cc/QAzgk

Ratcrack

Post by Ratcrack » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:48 pm

Look at Mexico. That F*&#ing sucks.

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:52 pm

yeah, that blows for mexico...

anyway, thanks for the information, aether. your hard work is appreciated. i had heard the term a few days ago, but didn't really look into it. so thanks again.

Caffeine

Post by Caffeine » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:22 am

You can't get rid of me.
Deviantart: here

gatrosk

Post by gatrosk » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:34 pm

a random ninja wrote:yeah, that blows for mexico...

anyway, thanks for the information, aether. your hard work is appreciated. i had heard the term a few days ago, but didn't really look into it. so thanks again.
Hey random, you live in Texas right?
Well, unfortunately for you the first U.S. swine flu death was confirmed today.
Guess where? Texas.
Apparently some toddler died from it. So it appears to be slowly creeping into the U.S.
Fate rarely calls upon us at the moment of our choosing. - Optimus Prime

Caffeine

Post by Caffeine » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:39 pm

gatrosk wrote: Apparently some toddler died from it.
WELL NOW I FEEL BAD.
You can't get rid of me.
Deviantart: here

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:20 pm

gatrosk wrote:Hey random, you live in Texas right?
Guess where? Texas.
Apparently some toddler died from it. So it appears to be slowly creeping into the U.S.
aww, fuck. well that makes sense though, since mexico was getting hit so hard. then again, texas isn't the only state touching mexico...anyway, i'll just have to be extra careful i guess.

that's sad that it was just a little kid though :(

Aether

Post by Aether » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:42 am

a random ninja wrote:
gatrosk wrote:Hey random, you live in Texas right?
Guess where? Texas.
aww, fuck. well that makes sense though, since mexico was getting hit so hard. then again, texas isn't the only state touching mexico...anyway, i'll just have to be extra careful i guess.

that's sad that it was just a little kid though :(
23 months old.
A month before its birthday.

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:48 am

that sucks. i was watching the news where they were talking about closing up the borders, since mexico's getting hit so hard with it. some of the illegal immigrants that are over here don't like that, cause they wouldn't be able to send money to their family to get medical help if they get this shit. which i can understand. but they were also saying that it won't do any good because the flu can hit anybody, not just mexicans. but they're wanting to close them up so that they can limit the amount of that shit that's being brought over from mexico, since that's where the largest amount of it is. which i thought was obvious, but apparently some people just don't get it.

Aether

Post by Aether » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:50 am

a random ninja wrote:that sucks. i was watching the news where they were talking about closing up the borders, since mexico's getting hit so hard with it. some of the illegal immigrants that are over here don't like that, cause they wouldn't be able to send money to their family to get medical help if they get this shit. which i can understand. but they were also saying that it won't do any good because the flu can hit anybody, not just mexicans. but they're wanting to close them up so that they can limit the amount of that shit that's being brought over from mexico, since that's where the largest amount of it is. which i thought was obvious, but apparently some people just don't get it.
When it comes down to people they know. People have little to no regard as to what is for the greater good.

gatrosk

Post by gatrosk » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:41 pm

Yeah Aeth's right.
Apparently the alert level got raised to "Pandemic Imminent" yesterday (or the day before) which is alert level 5 out of 6 for a national health crisis.
Rather scary, seeing as it's spreading rather unabated at the moment. -.-
Fate rarely calls upon us at the moment of our choosing. - Optimus Prime

R0B3R7

Post by R0B3R7 » Fri May 01, 2009 5:01 am

i heard the baby was just living in the US so he could get treatment because they had fam in texas with health benefits and stuff, but was really from mexico...

but that might just be hogwash
[size=0]hah i crack myself up[/size]
dA
“Getting ahead...requires avid faith in yourself. ...Some people with mediocre talent, but with great inner drive, go so much further than people with vastly superior talent.” -Sophia Loren