General BS Thread (former US Election 2008 thread)

Talk about anything you like

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:23 pm

it was at least as bad as dragonball. i'm almost tempted to say even worse. at least in dragonball they mostly pronounced the names right.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:47 am

That's very disappointing to hear. With a big name director behind it, I would've thought the quality to be pretty high. Guess not. At least now I know to save my money and watch it when it comes out on DVD.

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:23 pm

honestly i wouldn't even waste the money it would cost to rent the dvd.

also, who the fuck do THESE people think they are?!

Zephio
MWS moderator

Post by Zephio » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:49 pm

I went to see it thinking 'rottentomatoes gave it a 6%. how could it get a 6%?' i walked out thinking '...oh my god..how did it even get a 6%?'

Ceta, if you like the show, do yourself a favor and don't waste your time with it. :wink: In fact, this would be the best review I have read about the film. "Unspeakably bad dialogue delivered by excruciatingly bad actors in a plot so illogical and stupid it kills unicorn"

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:57 pm

exactly. writing was crap. acting was crap. zero character development. iroh and zuko, among others, looked nothing like they did in the show. they mispronounced half the names. and worst of all...they somehow managed to leech every single tiny bit of sokka's personality right out of him. shyamalan claims that 'grounding' sokka somehow really added to the theme of the movie, but all it really did was make the most awesome character in the show incredibly boring...just like everyone else in the movie. it's disgraceful.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:49 pm

a random ninja wrote:also, who the fuck do THESE people think they are?!
I listened to the music. They band's stuff is pretty good. The singer, on the other hand, annoys me greatly. If they sold an instrumental version of their stuff, I would definitely consider buying a copy.
a random ninja wrote:exactly. writing was crap. acting was crap. zero character development. iroh and zuko, among others, looked nothing like they did in the show. they mispronounced half the names. and worst of all...they somehow managed to leech every single tiny bit of sokka's personality right out of him. shyamalan claims that 'grounding' sokka somehow really added to the theme of the movie, but all it really did was make the most awesome character in the show incredibly boring...just like everyone else in the movie. it's disgraceful.
hmmmm....Makes me wonder if it would be better to watch it dubbed over in Japanese rather than with the original English audio.... Guess I'll keep an eye out on the news sites here after its released to see what the critics say.

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:01 pm

Ceta wrote:I listened to the music. They band's stuff is pretty good. The singer, on the other hand, annoys me greatly. If they sold an instrumental version of their stuff, I would definitely consider buying a copy.
oh i didn't even bother listening to them because they stole my name.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:47 pm

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:18 am

this gta/mario mashup thing is fuckin' awesome. and hilarious.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:19 am

a random ninja wrote:this gta/mario mashup thing is fuckin' awesome. and hilarious.
Agreed.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:06 pm

a random ninja wrote:exactly. writing was crap. acting was crap. zero character development. iroh and zuko, among others, looked nothing like they did in the show. they mispronounced half the names. and worst of all...they somehow managed to leech every single tiny bit of sokka's personality right out of him. shyamalan claims that 'grounding' sokka somehow really added to the theme of the movie, but all it really did was make the most awesome character in the show incredibly boring...just like everyone else in the movie. it's disgraceful.
I know I shouldn't have, but I watched it. That said, I totally agree with you on all of this. Before watching it, I watched all the episodes of the cartoon series online (would've rented it but the video store didn't have it) in order to compare. Still contemplating on whether that was a good thing or a bad thing....

One thing that I'd like to add to the list was how crappy most of the fight scenes were. The slow-motion stuff worked well in the movie 300 but with so many movies utilizing it nowadays, I would have loved to see something very fast-paced and exciting. The only decent fight scene in the movie was the battle between Aang and Zuko in the Northern Water Tribe village.

Comparing The Last Airbender and Dragonball:Evolution, I think The Last Airbender was better. Dragonball was plagued with many of the same problems, but the amount of plot holes in the story far exceeds The Last Airbender. The only area in which Dragonball excels is the amount of cleavage.

While I don't know if the sequel is in the works yet or not, I really hope that M. Night Shysldjfewakjrwelkda....lan (too lazy to look up his name) isn't continuing as director. They really need to get someone who won't butcher the series any further. In addition, the cast really needs to watch the cartoon series if they haven't done so already. Seriously.

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:50 pm

Ceta wrote:The only area in which Dragonball excels is the amount of cleavage.
touche. well played sir. can't argue with that. but still, the last airbender destroyed sokka, and that's unforgivable.

as far as whether or not it was a good idea to watch the show before the movie, i'd have to say no, it wasn't. the movie still would've sucked, but if you've seen the show, it's a hundred times worse. schyamalan claims he wanted to do the movie after his daughter wanted to be katara for halloween or something. then supposedly he got into the show and he and his family would all watch it together. but i'm calling bullshit on that one. after somehow forcing myself to sit through the entire film, i'm convinced that NO ONE involved with it ever watched more than 35 seconds of the show.

so, for seeing it through to the end, sir, you have my admiration and my sympathy. unfortunately, despite being getting nothing but terrible reviews, it did make a fair bit of money, so i'd imagine they will go ahead and make the next one. although it's budget was also enormous, so it's profit wasn't all THAT high...as far as schyamalan's involvement, if i had my say he would've already been shot in the face. but i dunno. if he does do the next one, maybe he'll take some of the criticism into consideration.

rabid panda

Post by rabid panda » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:39 pm

in unrelated news ive started college today. and im not the oldest person in the class lol

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:04 am

cool. what are you studying?

and in further unrelated news, i finally got my damn driver's license today. only 9 years late!

rabid panda

Post by rabid panda » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:28 am

getting a ba of science in computer software engineering. currently taking on a 14 credit semester. ENG 091, MATH 091, BIO 181, and COM 100. only took the remedial english and math classes since its been like ten years since ive last taken them in school and they werent my strong suits. gonna to rape me some advanced biology tho