Gratz!

Talk about anything you like

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

Dominion

Gratz!

Post by Dominion » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:54 am

Well, it looks like we've all survived the end of the world!!

Ok, so many of you with a brain know it wasn't likely anyway, but it seems the Big Bang project had caused some rather frightening (though unrealistic) stories. However it would appear the experiment that occurred today in Geneva didn't cause the world to implode on itself, didn't create a black hole and didn't suck us all into OBLIVION!

Personally, my only concern was the internet going down >.>''

So, what did you all think of the Large Hadron Collider story?
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

If you agree Aether is a cute kitty, put Mr Huggles in your sig now :3

Ceta
MWS moderator

Re: Gratz!

Post by Ceta » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:31 am

It's interesting, the things you learn about after they take place. Probably would've been nice to know about before-hand (not like it would've mattered since there's nothing I can do about it).
Dominion wrote:Personally, my only concern was the internet going down >.>''
Mine was just getting through the day. =P

Dominion

Post by Dominion » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:52 am

Well we folk in England knew about it before hand, so did othes, hence the horror stories of impending doom that sprouted up all over the show.

I think it took place at something like 8.30 in the morning (For us here English peoples anyway) so who knows what time it was for you.

Considering a large number of people were threatening death by balck hole, it's actually surprising the amount of people that were oblivious to it as well. It kinda of gets you into the philosophical state of "Would we really be so oblivious if the world were about to end?"
Mine was just getting through the day. =P
Bah, that's no an issue...infact, I'd rather the world had ended at 8.30am (if it was going to end)...that's when I start work T.T
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Caffeine

Post by Caffeine » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:23 pm

DAMN! Are you sure it didn't?

...I didn't finish my homework.
You can't get rid of me.
Deviantart: here

Dominion

Post by Dominion » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:28 pm

Well if it did, it was pretty anti-climactic >.<

Though honestly, I probably wouldn't even have noticed if it did.

And homework...it's been some time since I had that! You make me feel so old and I'm only 19! I've already done school and college T.T
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

gatrosk

Post by gatrosk » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:37 pm

Haha i just read about this and apparently it could've also turned the earth into a huge lump of "strange matter" whatever that is... :p
Fate rarely calls upon us at the moment of our choosing. - Optimus Prime

major banana

Post by major banana » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:59 pm

They were only firing particles clockwise and counterclockwise. They're not smashing them together yet.

So the all-consuming black hole will be something for next month. I think it's very interesting.

Zephio
MWS moderator

Post by Zephio » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:51 pm

I'm excited about this, to be honest. I learned about it in my physics class last year and I think it's pretty flippin' sweet.
apparently it could've also turned the earth into a huge lump of "strange matter" whatever that is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_matter
^it's a strange concept, but very interesting if understood

Def Character
Mod-Squad Captain

Post by Def Character » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:39 pm

Major B is right they haven't done the real thing yet ^^
Although I am not going to live in fear cause of that news. :roll:

Caffeine

Post by Caffeine » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:46 pm

But it's always nice to know we've avoided a giant asteroid thus far.
You can't get rid of me.

DancingBlade

Post by DancingBlade » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:09 pm

does anybody think they will find the Higg's particle? i don't think they will but if they do it'll change a lot of what scientists know or develop theories about.
Im more interested in what they find out about atom though.

Excalibur

Post by Excalibur » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:04 pm

What's this "Higgs" particle you speak of? Of course it didn't end the world! God's gonna do it himself! How is this supposed to even prove the big bang if in the [wrong] hypothesis then it doesn't even have that there's a huge chunky metal thingy mabob floating in space? It won't prove anything since it's not in the hypothesis and it's man made! You can't prove something where man supposedly didn't exist if it's man made! It's impossible to prove it!

P.S. Aether, yes I say God will do it but that's the only thing Christian so you can't accuse me of being "Christian boy" in this post! And you can't say it to me calling the hypothesis not being able to be proved 'cause it's true, it can't be repeated, thus, you can't use the scientific method, so, it's bad science.
"I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born." -Ronald Reagan

If you believe the big bang, please consider this http://tiny.cc/QAzgk

drawerkid

Post by drawerkid » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:51 pm

Excalibur wrote:What's this "Higgs" particle you speak of? Of course it didn't end the world! God's gonna do it himself! How is this supposed to even prove the big bang if in the [wrong] hypothesis then it doesn't even have that there's a huge chunky metal thingy mabob floating in space? It won't prove anything since it's not in the hypothesis and it's man made! You can't prove something where man supposedly didn't exist if it's man made! It's impossible to prove it!

P.S. Aether, yes I say God will do it but that's the only thing Christian so you can't accuse me of being "Christian boy" in this post! And you can't say it to me calling the hypothesis not being able to be proved 'cause it's true, it can't be repeated, thus, you can't use the scientific method, so, it's bad science.
The big bang in theory, is like a big explosion of matter and particle or something along those line, we may not be able to do it again but not every thing in science can be done again. We know that dinosaurs once roam the earth, yet we know they're extinct the proof is their bones.

What they trying to learn by using data of what they found and then through computer model to backtrack to how the big bang exactly happened. From what the scientists said or at least from what I read, they just what to understand human purpose in the universe or universes(some scientist believe there are a infinite amount of universes.) They also hope that this can lead to better future of techology, such as defining gravity or jumping to different galaxy or solar systems yet this too can be a long way off.

What do you mean by metal thingy mabob? If you talking about the Higgs particle accelator(at least I think that the name.) It not in space it's on the planet under england or is it britain, I don't remember.
Last edited by drawerkid on Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caffeine

Post by Caffeine » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:05 am

Didn't you read the other posts? They aren't firing things at eachother yet, if the end is coming from that, it's coming then.
Besides, this might be your god's means.
I'm feeling very safe though, my god will probably use oregano to off us all, or something.
You can't get rid of me.

drawerkid

Post by drawerkid » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:17 am

Caffeine wrote:Didn't you read the other posts? They aren't firing things at eachother yet, if the end is coming from that, it's coming then.
Besides, this might be your god's means.
I'm feeling very safe though, my god will probably use oregano to off us all, or something.
Wait this directed at me because I didn't read the other posts, just replying to Excalibur post. I know that all they did is turn it on, but from what I read, I'm just saying what I read and what are scientists hopes of the future.