why do i BUY a dvd?

Talk about anything you like

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

major banana

why do i BUY a dvd?

Post by major banana » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:40 pm

When i wanted to watch my legally bought 'Once upon a time in the west' DVD, this question came up in my head. I had to wait, wait, wait before the menu showed up and i couldn't do ANYTHING about it. Same for my expensive Twin Peaks DVD collection.

I had a great point but my friend Hank here just said everything that needed to be said. I'll translate it for you non-dutchies/belgians.
Hank wrote: 2 WAYS TO EXPRESS MY DISPLEASURE ABOUT LEGAL DVD'S

More and more i'm amazed by 'stichting Brein', the (dutch) company that 'fights' for the interests of the artist. Not particulary because they fight for those interests, that's just them being naive. No, i'm amazed by the way they think they have to make it clear that piracy is a bad thing. They put an intromovie on legally purchased DVD's that tells you NOT to buy illegal DVD's. On old videotapes it used to be the same, only with one giant difference: you can fast-forward. On a DVD, they can make it impossible to fastforward certain parts, so i always have to watch that annoying movie when i want to watch a BOUGHT DVD. Why am i being punished for legal use?

The paradox is that you don't have this problem when you download a movie, a show or anything. Any decent pirate removes the intro for you. The temptation to download a movie becomes very great. The price never stopped me from buying a DVD, but those irritating intromovies make think about other ways of watching movies.

WHAT I'M ACTUALLY TRYING TO SAY

I'm getting more and more irritated by Tim KUIJK and his gang of paranoid m********. Not because of his fight against 'piracy', that's just his unlimited stupidity. No, i'm startiing to HATE that wanker and his company because of those c********** intros that you can't skip on any goddamn DVD. If i click on skip, i get to see a f******* prohibition sign instead of the menu that i was really asking for. I already know that f******** intro by now and i know damn well that this DVD is for people of 16years and older, otherwise i didn' t buy it, P*****

Mr Kuijk, you almost force me to get my DVDs illegaly. Pirated DVD's are BETTER, they don't force me to do something. Illegal DVD's don't have a sodding intro that i HAVE TO SEE OVER AND OVER AGAIN dammit. Next to that they're free.

Mr Kuijk, i hope you get syfilis soon you big f****** ***** ********** that you are.
He's clearly overreacting but he's right, what dork had the idea to annoy legal buyers with this crap?

Now back to the original question, the only thing i could come up with is that all the DVD's that i buy have audio commentary. That's all.

konflikti

Post by konflikti » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:20 am

Well, at least your DVD worked. What would you think if you bought a DVD and it simply refused to work in your DVD-player because of the copy protection?

We finns have it even worse. It has been just ruled that watching bought DVD's with Linux is illegal, because it is illegal to break the copy protection. As you might know, Linux distros don't come with proper tools for opening a DVD copy protection, since the tools for that are commercial products and cost money.

I totally agree with your line of thought. Why do the companies have the need to call the people who actually go and buy the DVD criminals and make their life hard? It sure doesn't affect the pirates.
Why don't we share a solitude? Let's travel alone, together.

Joellie

Post by Joellie » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:12 am

It may sound a little wierd.. But i do agree on the fact that it feels like a punishment to HAVE to watch the trailers and adverts. Being forced into watching things i didnt pay for does get extremely boring. I didnt pay £15 to watch something i didnt pay for.

When you do think about it though, why spend money on somethign that you can potentially get for free easily on the interent?

But really, they need to target the companys and people sending OUT the illegal copys on the interent. Cut out the source, and you can stop piracy.

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:35 am

Hey, you may not have payed for trailers... but they're free. Anything free has to be good... right?

Joellie

Post by Joellie » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:53 pm

But they are unwanted trailers lol It wouldnt be so bad if everytime you try to skip the trailers you get a 'command not recognised' off of your remote. Its purely the fact that you HAVE to watch them to get to the film that makes me wonder.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:37 pm

For the DVDs here, although I can't skip the warnings I'm able to fast-forward through them. Are you guys able to do that too, or is that command disabled as well?

major banana

Post by major banana » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:33 pm

Everything is disabled here.

I just found another good thing about legal dvds. That green screen with the little black pictogram guy jumping in his seat, that says you have to be 18 or 16, that's actually something i like. It's the same thing they play in theater, that little tune always gets me in the mood for moviewatching.
Sadly before that i was forced to sit through copyright laws, in every single european language.

Aether

Post by Aether » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:12 pm

For Australian DVDs you can fast forward through those free movie thingys... but why would you?!
It's what makes it cool! I buy DVDs for the free movie thingys... not the actual movie.

Raptoe
Moderator, the cruel one

Post by Raptoe » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:59 pm

We have it easier in Holland..
Games downloading is illegal.. However downloading music/ movies is not punishable, only distributing/uploading these things or selling copies of that stuff is against the law.

Tbh I buy various titles in their original dvd-form because I am a sucker for the extra's and because when I really like something I buy it so I can have this insane idea I actualy contribute some of my appreciation back to the people who made the stuff.
Last edited by Raptoe on Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Az

Post by Az » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:37 am

I dunno sometimes I just like supporting people who make good things. Very rarely though. And I never buy DVDs
lululu luk @ me im on the internets

Dominion

Post by Dominion » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:58 am

Yeah, I hate those things too, not being able to skip passed all the cack. It's not the movie trailers that bother me so much though, it's more the 9 hours of warnings that comes with it.

The one that really gets me is the "You wouldn't steal a car" one they put on so many of them.

I don't know if many of you know what that is, but on several of my DVDs I get an advert that basically goes something like:

"You wouldn't steal a hangbag, you wouldn't steal a car, you wouldn't steal a DVD (As in from a shop) - Downloading movies is illegal" blah blah blah, etc etc.

The irony is, if you're even watching this advert you've bought the DVD legally anyway!! Why the hell are they making you sit through an advert about piracy on a DVD when clearly you're not a pirate...

I agree, the DVD liscencing people are stupid. ¬_¬

Aether

Post by Aether » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:48 am

Okay what's with this new copy Aeth fad? -_-
I was the original FullMetal Retard on this forum... and therefore I rock the hardest. Nya.

Anyway, back on topic.
I'm a pirate... but I don't download. I rent it from the video store, pirate to my heart's content and then return it. See, I'm not distributing or stealing. Because I payed my $2 to rent it and I've just created a back up of something that someone else owns. I really don't see the fuss in it all. But meh.

R0B3R7

Post by R0B3R7 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:12 pm

i can just skip up to the warning screens :roll:
dA
“Getting ahead...requires avid faith in yourself. ...Some people with mediocre talent, but with great inner drive, go so much further than people with vastly superior talent.” -Sophia Loren