pacific rim and elysium (and i guess hunger games)

Here you can talk about anything anime and manga related.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

major banana

pacific rim and elysium (and i guess hunger games)

Post by major banana » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:45 pm

Anyone seen it? I completely dissed it at first, how it'll probably be 'too anime' and ripoff of every mecha anime. And it was, but ignore that and enjoy it, everything is a ripoff. It's a pretty good movie with good mecha action. Also Guillermo del Toro, you know he makes for enjoyable stories and likeable characters. And holy shit that asian girl rinko kikuchi!

Next is Elysium (or however you write it). Also really good movie with good theme and blatant criticism on society today. I like the whole cast, especially matt damon (as a lowlife normal guy who's not a trained killing machine hero this time) and that south-african mercenary (he's the GOOD guy in district 9 btw). Reminded me of District 9 but that's cause it's the same director. Good and natural acting. And holy shit that brazil girl alice braga!

Both movies have nice, dirty machinery. Nothing is squeaky clean and polished, it all has wear and tear. The details of it all are incredible, like the production design in a ridley scott movie. That's how it should be imo.

edit:
i also watched the hunger games. Not bad if you turn your brain off and ignore the SUPERIOR Battle Royale (including awkward asian kids). They thankfully cut out all the blabbing about food and clothes from the books, but they also cut out all the thoughts in the main kids heads, which was the most interesting part of the book. It's kinda tame compared to the brutal violence of battle royale. But all is forgiven cause jennifer lawrence. If you're not a fan of her after seeing her act and seeing her behave in general, you must be an inanimate object. This movie could have been more by fixing the book.

FirstBorn
The Big Cheese

Re: pacific rim and elysium (and i guess hunger games)

Post by FirstBorn » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:35 pm

I didn't see Pacific Rim yet, but the trailer reminded me too much of Neon Genesis Evangelion. The trailer of Elysium reminded me too much of Batlle Angle Alita. So they both moved way down on my list of to see movies.

I did see The Hunger Games with my wife (because she wanted to see it) and it was too full of teen drama. For example: "I'm a normal girl. I don't care about cloths." And then she changes cloths every 10 minutes.

The latest thing on television I watched and enjoyed is "The Walking Dead".

Edit: Fixed multiple typos.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:09 pm

I've been wanting to see all three movies, but I've been ultra-busy as of late and haven't gotten around to it yet. I plan to check them out when the winter holiday begins since it doesn't really look like I'll be getting much free time until then.

Zephio
MWS moderator

Post by Zephio » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:12 pm

I haven't seen any of those films yet. I did hear exceptional things about Pacific Rim though (specifically from a fan of the Neon Genesis series too). I refuse to watch Hunger Games because I already saw, and very much enjoyed, Battle Royale. I think they are far too similar, and I feel like I would get annoyed with the teen angst portion of it.

FirstBorn
The Big Cheese

Post by FirstBorn » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:44 pm

Zephio wrote:I haven't seen any of those films yet. I did hear exceptional things about Pacific Rim though (specifically from a fan of the Neon Genesis series too). I refuse to watch Hunger Games because I already saw, and very much enjoyed, Battle Royale. I think they are far too similar, and I feel like I would get annoyed with the teen angst portion of it.
That's the perfect description! Battle Royale + Teen Angst = Hunger Games.