Best anime Movies?

Here you can talk about anything anime and manga related.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

t1

Post by t1 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:04 pm

My top are:
1)Sword of The Stranger (best anime movie ever)
2)Tekkonkinkreet ( Black is Phsycotic in a good way)
3)Akira ( the ending was kind of Disgusting)
4)Naruto movie 3

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:57 pm

I've only seen 4.

FullMetal Alchemist: Conqueror Of Shamballa.
Spirited Away.
Howl's Moving Castle.
My Neighbour Totoro.

Not in any particular order. But FullMetal Alchemist is certainly number 1.

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:13 pm

i personally recommend any movie miyazaki's ever been involved with. the man is a genius. but i do agree with you, dom, that akira wasn't all THAT great.

Caffeine

Post by Caffeine » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:42 am

I really only liked it for the disgusting parts.. Hey, has anyone heard of Angel's Egg? (If yes, can you please explain what it meant?)
You can't get rid of me.
Deviantart: here

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:16 pm

was yoshitaka amano involved with that?

Caffeine

Post by Caffeine » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:52 am

I DON'T KNOW!

BUT THERE WAS THIS THING ABOUT THE DOVE FROM NOAH'S ARK, AND THESE GIANT FISH SHADOWS THAT PINK PEOPLE THREW HARPOONS AT, FOR NO DISCERNIBLE REASON AND BOTTLES AND BOTTLES OF WATER AND.. AND... FWOOSH!
That is the sound of it flying over my head.
I know it was fairly old though. I found it easily on veoh's search. Maybe it's on youtube too.
You can't get rid of me.
Deviantart: here

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:09 pm

yeah i seem to remember reading about yoshitaka amano and some other guy working on a project together, and i'm pretty sure it was angel's egg...i'll check it out though.
Last edited by a random ninja on Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:20 pm

@Caffeine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel's_Egg

Has some information that might help answer your question. Be sure to copy and paste the link. Apostrophes don't allow for correct URL formatting.

konflikti

Post by konflikti » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:42 pm

Why don't we share a solitude? Let's travel alone, together.

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:49 pm

ah, so it WAS yoshitaka amano...man, it sounds like some crazy stuff. i may have to check it out sometime if i can ever find it.

Yaz

Post by Yaz » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:45 pm

Howl's moving Castle
Princess Mononoke
Akira
Escaflowne
Vampire Hunter D

Speaking of movies A random thought after seeing the hollywood movie line up for next year. They're making an movie of Akira. Which I don't particularly have a problem with BUT!!! However I do have a problem with them basing the movie in Manhattan. Which means they'll probably change a bunch more stuff How hard is it to just stick to the story! Shouldn't there be like a law against this type of junk?

DancingBlade

Post by DancingBlade » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:19 pm

Princess Mononoke
Howl's Moving Castle
Spirited Away
Full Metal Alchemist Movie
Akira

I havn't watched manybut yeah.

Yaz said:
Which means they'll probably change a bunch more stuff How hard is it to just stick to the story! Shouldn't there be like a law against this type of junk?
I hate it when that happens :x

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:28 pm

i think there are laws against doing things like that...if you don't have permission from whoever has rights to the property. i assume that if they're making a movie of it, they've already acquired the rights and gotten permission from the creator and whatnot. unfortunately, once acquired, things are often changed, or creative liberties are taken. i dunno, i'm sure sometimes the creators give their ok for the changes, but like, the watchmen movie, for example, alan moore doesn't want anything to do with it. i was reading that he doesn't even want his name anywhere on the movie. so i dunno. i mean i'm pretty sure you can't just make a movie of something owned by someone else without permission first, but i don't know to what extent you're able to change things, or how that part works.

Dominion

Post by Dominion » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:18 pm

They're also supposed to be making a live action Dragon Ball Z movie which should be a hilarity to watch.

I agree it's a shame they keep infringing on stuff like this. Lately Hollywood have gone mad for comics books and the amount of movies based on old grpahics novels is starting to get ridiculous.

What a shame :(
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

If you agree Aether is a cute kitty, put Mr Huggles in your sig now :3

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:32 pm

a random ninja wrote:alan moore doesn't want anything to do with it. i was reading that he doesn't even want his name anywhere on the movie. so i dunno. i mean i'm pretty sure you can't just make a movie of something owned by someone else without permission first, but i don't know to what extent you're able to change things, or how that part works.
The permissions to make the movie were likely given to the movie studio by the publisher of the Watchmen comics, so it's not like they made an unauthorized movie. As for Alan Moore not wanting his name attached to the movie, I can understand. When someone adapts your work for something else, in this case a movie, it becomes more of an interpretation of your work as seen through the eyes of the people who put it together. If an adaptation movie is shunned by fans who truly understood the depth and creativity that went into the original project, things likely don't go all that well for the creator because he/she allowed the project to happen in the first place (or at least just allowed their name to be attached to it). In Mr. Moore's case, however, it's a bit more of a win-win situation.

If the movie is a flop, his name isn't attached to it so he can shift any and all responsibility of the movie's failure to the movie production company and all people who were in charge of overseeing it. That being the case, he won't have to deal with whiny little fanboys complaining that the movie ruined their favorite comic whenever convention time comes around. On the other hand, if the movie is a success, people who had not read the series may become interested in looking up the comics once they find out what the movie was based off of (if they didn't know already, that is).

Really, though, your name is nowhere near as important as your project. If your project is awesome, people will recognize it even if your name isn't attached.