How Osamu Tezuka drew nature

Here you can talk about anything anime and manga related.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

sequentialscott

How Osamu Tezuka drew nature

Post by sequentialscott » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:07 pm

Hi all,

I thought the folks here might be interested in an analysis I wrote up of some of Osamu Tezuka's work in Buddha. I'm putting some of the material below, but here's the full thing: http://www.scottmcd.net/artanalysis/?p=1237

Scott McD.

Here are some drawings by Osamu Tezuka that I referred to several times to try to work out doing nature with ink. All three of the main pictures I’m showing here are from his Buddha series. The one above is from Volume 8, the last one. Now, when I look at that I’d call it fairly realistic. But when you start looking at the individual parts we can see how he’s combining abstract patterns and textures to construct it.

Let’s take a look at the water. At a glance we can see the waterfalls and that there are rapids. We can also tell where the rapids are running faster and where they’re running not quite as fast. This first example is from the left side of the drawing, where the water is running over a large stone.

If this were out of context of the larger drawing, could you tell what it is? I see jagged veins of white connecting to each other, and then textured dark areas. But what does each one represent? Why does that read as water in the larger context. To help us along a little bit, here is a photo my father-in-law took of some the type of water Tezuka was drawing:

Looking at this, it seems that the white areas are foam and the dark areas are the water. Tezuka has also given the foaming areas a direction, so we can tell when the water transitions from falling down over a rock to landing in a pool. Still, he’s not trying to draw each vein of foam perfectly. Looked at close up, they’re abstract patterns. Let’s take a look at the water on the lower right side.

To contrast with the earlier detail, this one gets rid of the veins altogether and just uses motion lines to indicate the flow. In context, this reads as even more foam and churn – so much that we can no longer see any specifics at all. My first instinct would have been to go in and try to draw even more chaos and texture in there, but this is certainly more effective.

There’s also lots of interesting stuff going on with the rock surface and texture. These rocks have been worn down by the water – they’re curved and don’t show jagged parts. What do you see in there in terms of how Tezuka has used pure black areas interspersed with hatching? What does the direction of the hatching (and number of directions) communicate about the surface?

IMAGE 2

The rest is here: http://www.scottmcd.net/artanalysis/?p=1237

Cipher

Re: How Osamu Tezuka drew nature

Post by Cipher » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:15 am

nice details

major banana

Re: How Osamu Tezuka drew nature

Post by major banana » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:19 am

That's really interesting and helpful.