Looking for opinions

Here you can talk about anything anime and manga related.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

Which should I go with?

Human designs.
71%
Animal designs.
29%

Total votes: 7

Ceta
MWS moderator

Looking for opinions

Post by Ceta » Thu May 12, 2011 2:10 pm

While I haven't finished getting settled into my new place yet (the boxes are unpacked but many of the contents are scattered about the floor), I thought I'd take a small time out to get some opinions/advice. A couple days ago, while searching for class materials, I came across a little treasure that I had lost track of about a year ago: the notebook that I was using for my 100 theme challenge. For those who don't know or don't remember what I'm talking about, I decided to make a 4-panel comic using one theme per strip.

That said, on to the main topic.

With how long it's been since I last worked on it, I'm now at a standstill on what I should do with it. I'm planning on redrawing the comic from the beginning using professional-grade paper which will make it easier for me to convert everything to digital format. (Using scans from the notebook took a lot of time and effort to convert due to the size being smaller than the standard size.) The biggest problem, however, is the design of the characters.

Until now, I've been using animals (not furries, mind you) for my characters and it amused me greatly. However, after a year of not working on it, my feelings have changed a bit and now I'm stuck on whether or not I want to convert the characters to humans instead. While I would need to change/rewrite some areas to accommodate for the changes, from what I can tell they are very minor and would not take long at all to do.

So, I'd like to know, what do you think? Should I change the character designs to humans in the redo? Or should I leave the characters in their original animal form?

P.S. Sorry, guys, no Poop on a Stick option this time around since I'm looking for a serious answer.

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Thu May 12, 2011 5:26 pm

i vote for the animals. while furries are irritating, i enjoy anthropomorphic animals. any chance we can see some of these old ones you were doing?

also, poop on a stick.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Thu May 12, 2011 10:17 pm

Been a while since I last posted in my art thread so I'm not too sure, but I think the ones that I completed are posted there. If not, then check my DA site.

I'd post scans of the comic direct from the notebook, but most of them don't scan in cleanly making it quite hard to read.

rabid panda

Post by rabid panda » Fri May 13, 2011 7:10 pm

please dont make them furries. furries are just weird

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Sat May 14, 2011 3:27 pm

No worries there. I'm not a fan of furries and don't have the slightest desire to draw one, so if I do decide to redesign the characters they'll be fully human. Well, except for their pet. I'll be leaving that design alone.

major banana

Post by major banana » Mon May 16, 2011 1:25 pm

Here's advice: you already made up your mind.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Tue May 17, 2011 11:43 am

haha....I wish. I'm stuck completely in the middle of what I want to do at the moment, which is why I'm asking. Right now, I'm working on a test manga with both types of characters -- which I plan to post here when finished -- in hope that I can get enough comments to help me make up my mind.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Sun May 22, 2011 2:06 pm

Test manga:

A few notes about this:

--> The human designs are still works-in-progress, but for the sake of getting the comparison manga made, I cut development short. If the final decision is to change to the human designs, I'll resume redesigning the characters.

--> When the final comics are put online, there will be an English version and a Japanese version. For now, though, I'm just posting the Japanese version.

Please give me your opinions on which designs I should use.

bonnsaka

Post by bonnsaka » Sun May 22, 2011 2:30 pm

For what it's worth, I prefer the human designs. :)

I wish I could draw.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Sun May 22, 2011 9:09 pm

Thanks for your input. ^_^

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Mon May 23, 2011 6:30 am

the human designs are pretty cool, but i still vote for the animals.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Mon May 23, 2011 12:31 pm

Been asking around elsewhere as well and everyone has been saying the same thing. I'll wait until the end of the week to see if there are any other opinions before I make any official announcements. Since there are a bunch of things that I need to take care of first, I won't be able to get moving on anything immediately.

rabid panda

Post by rabid panda » Mon May 23, 2011 3:54 pm

are they stealing panties?

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Mon May 23, 2011 9:46 pm

Yes. Yes, they are.

MiNi

Post by MiNi » Mon May 23, 2011 10:38 pm

isnt there a way to make the chars human for a few scenes? so you can fiddle around with human form, this finding out that is what you want with it ?