Reading manga on the Kindle?

Here you can talk about anything anime and manga related.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

flubber

Reading manga on the Kindle?

Post by flubber » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:38 am

Just read about this on another forum and thought it was a good enough reason to stop lurking.

It seems like you can read manga on the new Kindle 3. Has anyone tried it? I've been a bit sceptical about ereaders, but this could convert me if worthwhile.

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:19 pm

I don't have a Kindle, so I don't know how that would be. If you download manga off the internet, it looks like it would be rather convenient since you can access the files any time you want. However, if the memory amount isn't all that great then it's hard to really recommend. Depends on how much manga you download, I guess.

Personally, I like to buy all my manga and books from the local bookstore, so I don't think a Kindle would suit me all that well.

flubber

Post by flubber » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:17 am

I was worried about the file size, too, as Kindle is only 4gb. However, it seems that the app used on that blog resizes images so that a ~250p tankoban becomes about 30-50mb. Seems like a winner. The Sony reader can also read manga and looks pretty sweet. Undecided on what to buy...

Ceta
MWS moderator

Post by Ceta » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:21 am

What are the specs for both of them? If they're about the same, then I guess it would just be a matter of which company you like more. I don't know about either, so I don't really know which would be the best choice between the two.

frog261642

Post by frog261642 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:27 am

Ceta wrote:What are the specs for both of them? If they're about the same, then I guess it would just be a matter of which company you like more. I don't know about either, so I don't really know which would be the best choice between the two.
Personally I would choose the Sony Reader. Sony has always made good sturdy equipment ever since the early stereo days.

But keep in mind, the kindle probably would be the best option considering that it is probably the one that will update the most.

I bought an Ipad being an elitist apple snob, thinking that apple had stepped it up and done something really cool making the Ibook store. And thats now just a waste of my money and a waste of space because there are hardly any books on there that I can choose from, and the only manga app thats on there is from Viz.

Ultimately, if you are a really big fan of manga go with the Kindle 4gb. Its the best around. If you're looking for something that can do more than just read books, go with the Sony Reader.

Harm

Post by Harm » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:53 pm

I've got an 5" BeBook mini, on which I can read manga. I use Calibre to convert to .cbr or .cbz
Though the pages can't be to big, otherwise they are hard to read. But Battle Angel Alita is very nice on the BeBook. I belive the Kindle is 6", that's better for reading manga's.
Recently I've got an iPad. The big touch sreen is very nice to read manga or other comics on. I've converted the original Turtle comics, ohh the nostalgia!