Your personal history

Here you can talk about anything anime and manga related.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

The Raging Spaniard
Awsome Moderator

Your personal history

Post by The Raging Spaniard » Thu May 14, 2009 4:51 am

Peoples taste in what constitutes "good" is very subjective. My gaming childhood standouts were Monkey Island, Street Fighter and Chrono Trigger, but some of you talk about Pokemon as the second coming or some shit, so lets translate that to anime and manga.

In Spain in the late 80's, early 90's three series were super popular:

-Saint Seiya
-Dragon Ball
-Ranma 1/2

as you can see, our taste is superb.

As I grew up and moved to Mexico in 94, they started playing Dragon Ball (5 years late!) so I introduced all my friends to it and they loved it till we all move don to something else (probably hentai, haha), when I moved to the States in the 2000's a new show had taken the US audience was storm, it was ... Dragon Ball?

Oh for fucks sake.

Now that Im an adult and professional artist I can see how the DB TV show is inherently edited and awful, but I would recommend the manga to anybody, great pacing and amazing storytelling.

Either way, back to those 3 shows and the way they influenced me I think its quite obvious if you look at my art or if you see at the other shows I really like, such as FLCL which combines some of the best aspects from those 3 shows (humor, battles, musical timing) For some of my older friends that grew up with Robotech/Maccross, its hard for them to enjoy a show without giant robots and shit.

So, what about you? I expect a shitload of DB, so try to avoid it, we all know the story on that one ;)
Xavier Garcia

Concept Artist

Portfolio
Twitter
Tumblr

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Thu May 14, 2009 11:35 am

- Dragon Ball Z
- FullMetal Alchemist
- Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex, 2nd GIG

Well, I, of course got into Dragon Ball Z when I was a kid. Grew out of it when I turned 10 or so.

Didn't really think much of anime or manga until I turned 16 which is when, I'm pretty sure, I found FullMetal Alchemist.

I then found Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex, 2nd GIG. Which was awesome.

I didn't really focus on one type of manga/anime. I just liked the characters, concept or story of these.

I did watch a lot of other shows, as well as, sadly, Naruto. But I quickly grew tired of them and their repetitive nature. Which, essentially, was what Dragon Ball Z was all about.

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Thu May 14, 2009 4:48 pm

unfortunately, i, like many others, started with good ol' dragonball z. which, yes, gets extremely repetitive. the heavy editing it got here in the states didn't help either. but back then it was the only anime i'd seen, so i thought it was the coolest thing ever. i'd watch a few random things that my cousin had gotten a hold of, like fist of the north star and a few episodes of ranma 1/2.

then one day, my friend told me about cowboy bebop. once adult swim started up, i'd watch all that stuff...tenchi muyo, outlaw star, cowboy bebop, yuyu hakusho. and later on i got to see stuff like trigun, lupin III and flcl. i absolutely fell in love with flcl. to this day it's my favorite anime. lupin III quickly became one of my favorites too.

by this point i had started buying manga. mostly love hina, with a few random ones here and there. later on i got into naruto, one piece, maison ikkoku, samurai deeper kyo, sgt. frog...and the list goes on. it was around here, too, that i discovered miyazaki. my friend had a lot of his movies, and i enjoyed them.

when i got into college and got internet access i'd download anime that wasn't showing on cartoon network or that i didn't have the money to buy. and that's where i am today. more recently i've watched gurren lagann and code geass. the second season of code geass'll be over soon, though, so i need a new one to watch. open to suggestions.

The Raging Spaniard
Awsome Moderator

Post by The Raging Spaniard » Thu May 14, 2009 4:51 pm

a random ninja wrote:unfortunately, i, like many others, started with good ol' dragonball z. which, yes, gets extremely repetitive. the heavy editing it got here in the states didn't help either. but back then it was the only anime i'd seen, so i thought it was the coolest thing ever. i'd watch a few random things that my cousin had gotten a hold of, like fist of the north star and a few episodes of ranma 1/2.

then one day, my friend told me about cowboy bebop. once adult swim started up, i'd watch all that stuff...tenchi muyo, outlaw star, cowboy bebop, yuyu hakusho. and later on i got to see stuff like trigun, lupin III and flcl. i absolutely fell in love with flcl. to this day it's my favorite anime. lupin III quickly became one of my favorites too.

by this point i had started buying manga. mostly love hina, with a few random ones here and there. later on i got into naruto, one piece, maison ikkoku, samurai deeper kyo, sgt. frog...and the list goes on. it was around here, too, that i discovered miyazaki. my friend had a lot of his movies, and i enjoyed them.

when i got into college and got internet access i'd download anime that wasn't showing on cartoon network or that i didn't have the money to buy. and that's where i am today. more recently i've watched gurren lagann and code geass. the second season of code geass'll be over soon, though, so i need a new one to watch. open to suggestions.
SOUL EATER is for you, my friend
Xavier Garcia

Concept Artist

Portfolio
Twitter
Tumblr

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Thu May 14, 2009 4:56 pm

thanks much. someone else around here was talking about that one a while back, but i never got around to checking it out. i'll do that. thanks.

Lozz
MWS moderator

Post by Lozz » Thu May 14, 2009 5:07 pm

Ahh, I loved Chrono Trigger, good times with that game. (n_n)

Anyway on topic -

I was never a big fan of DB or DBZ for that matter.
*sorry*

I think that I started off reading both Ranma 1/2 and Lone wolf and cub when I was around 10/11 before moving onto the likes of Love Hina, Chobits and Lupin III come mid teens.
In my early twenties now and I find myself reading the likes of Hellsing, God child, Goth (nice bit of gore in that one), KouKou Debut, mushishi and Loveless . . . bit of a mixed bag really.

Anime wise I don't really watch much, I think that last series I watched from start to end was Paradise Kiss.

major banana

Post by major banana » Thu May 14, 2009 7:11 pm

oh my goddess ova, gundam wing and rurouni kenshin

then went to SE Lain and love hina and more gundam and theres no end to it now.

Savage Hunter

Post by Savage Hunter » Thu May 14, 2009 8:50 pm

Rurouni Kenshin was one of my first manga. I watched Naruto for a long while and read a lot of it until it got boring. Same with Bleach. Dragon ball was something that, when showed in America so heavily edited kind of sucked, but I was young and didn't notice... Death Note was a good one. To Love-ru was funny at the start but kind of got boring. All these manga get boring too quickly! DX Anybody know any manga that doesn't get boring? The only ones that never got boring were Death Note and Rurouni Kenshin, for me anyways... I had a weak childhood (manga-wise) and feel like a manga noob... :cry:
"La tristesse durera toujours... (The sadness will last forever...)" - Vincent Van Gogh

"I wish I could throw off the thoughts which poison my happiness, but I take a kind of pleasure in indulging them." - Frederic Chopin

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 pm

i highly recommend maison ikkoku. it's a romance/comedy, but heavier on the comedy. it never got boring to me, but i dunno if that's really your thing.

Mr. Nice Guy

About Maison Ikkoku

Post by Mr. Nice Guy » Thu May 14, 2009 9:41 pm

Maison Ikkoku is a Manga by Rumiko Takahashi, here is the wiki of it if you want to know more of it like me, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maison_Ikkoku. I only watch the first couple of episodes of it online, then forgot about it since I have other things to do during two years ago but I like it a little bit and soon will watch and read it when I have time.

A Random Ninja, you view the Manga, watch the series anime of it because that is why you like it, right?

How was it to you, give us a review about it if you want too here.

When did you first get into Maison Ikkoku?

Kodos
Location: Virgo Supercluster; Local Group; Milky Way Galaxy; Orion Spiral Arm; Sol; Earth

Post by Kodos » Thu May 14, 2009 9:45 pm

Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. and FMA are the only anime I love, particularly the former. I am, though, pretty fond of the UC Gundam stuff and a few others, but generally my feelings for these anime range from "like and interest" to "I do not actively dislike."

When I was younger and my taste was less refined I liked Gundam Wing, Dragon Ball Z (But even as a young Kodosling I thought the show went to hell after Frieza was dealt with.), and like most kids my age, I was in love with Digimon and Pokemon. Looking back on it, though, Digimon wasn't that bad, really, at least not the first season. That could be the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia talking, of course.
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge."
~Bertrand Russell

a random ninja

Re: About Maison Ikkoku

Post by a random ninja » Thu May 14, 2009 9:48 pm

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:A Random Ninja, you view the Manga, watch the series anime of it because that is why you like it, right?

How was it to you, give us a review about it if you want too here.

When did you first get into Maison Ikkoku?
i read the manga, and i first got into it when i randomly decided to pick up a copy of the first volume at waldenbooks. i don't think this is really the place to put a review, though...

Mr. Nice Guy

Doing the review and about a TV channel

Post by Mr. Nice Guy » Thu May 14, 2009 9:56 pm

Where could you put the review then because I love reading reviews about anything from anyone, so can you do a review about the Manga/Anime of it since you are good at doing almost everything like reviewing if you seen up to it or can do that for me.

This will be the first time you did a review of a Anime/Manga, right?

Does anyone here watch TCM(Turner Classic Movies) where they show good classic movies, my favorites are the Japanese ones mostly and American ones also at well?

Caffeine

Post by Caffeine » Thu May 14, 2009 11:26 pm

Kodos wrote:Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. and FMA are the only anime I love, particularly the former.
I highly recommend the FMA comic. I prefer comics as a general rule, but I think that the plot is more interesting, and the alchemy is a little more consistent.

The first anime I watched was digimon, I didn't have the channels with Sailor Moon or DBZ on them, so I never got into those. I loved Pokemon, but I didn't see the cartoon until years later. Some of the first manga I ever bought were 3x3 Eyes and Alien Nine, which seem to be series nobody likes but me, so I might not like them as much if manga hadn't been new to me then.
You can't get rid of me.
Deviantart: here

gatrosk

Post by gatrosk » Thu May 14, 2009 11:56 pm

Kodos wrote:Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. and FMA are the only anime I love, particularly the former. I am, though, pretty fond of the UC Gundam stuff and a few others, but generally my feelings for these anime range from "like and interest" to "I do not actively dislike."

When I was younger and my taste was less refined I liked Gundam Wing, Dragon Ball Z (But even as a young Kodosling I thought the show went to hell after Frieza was dealt with.), and like most kids my age, I was in love with Digimon and Pokemon. Looking back on it, though, Digimon wasn't that bad, really, at least not the first season. That could be the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia talking, of course.
My brother and I worshiped Digimon when we were younger, while everyone else was obsessing over cheesy animals that couldn't talk we were watching a show where every monster's name had three letters in common.
In all seriousness though, Digimon was great. I never really got into Pokemon, especially after all paraphernalia concerning it was banned from my gradeschool. >.>

As for manga I read the Chobits series and absolutely loved it. When I was considerably younger I was obsessed with Sonic the Hedgehog comics, and that's really what got me into the whole comic scene.
Fate rarely calls upon us at the moment of our choosing. - Optimus Prime