Macross Frontier anyone?

Here you can talk about anything anime and manga related.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
major banana
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Macross Frontier anyone?

Post by major banana » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:45 am

Just saw the 3 first episodes. Action is fantastic, animation is fantastic, fanservice isn't all over the place, songs&music is what it's supposed to be (although a little much), story so far is typical macross, characters are typical macross top gun idol types, but that's not a bad thing at all.

The action scenes and battles are freaking awesome. 100% epilepsy Macross battles with a lot of reactive armor, transformation and g-force. They stole a lot from Gundam, but they only stole the best bits. Like that last resort rocketfountainblast that the Heavyarms Gundam had (which -in its turn- was stolen from the original SDF Macross). It looks like Macross Zero that's gone into space (well it is). Offcourse they pumped half of their budget in the first episodes, but the inbetween scenes are far from budget-anime. Money has been spent.

I don't really like the main hero, he's the typical soft and evolving modern anime guy. Not like the previous mindless ruffneck heroes that were dead set on flying. Like they use in the Gundam universe too. But i'll get used to him. They do take their time with everyones past, future, enemy backstory etc, RELATIVE character development (i don't expect NGE or Kare Kano and i'm fine with that). I got used to the movies and OVAs. There's character development (especially in Macross Plus) but they fly over things like that. So it's a relief to see more time spent on character development, it works much better in the end, you care more. Storywise it doesn't have that SDF-Macross feel to it, the whole badass superfortress with it's own isolated civilization thing (as far as i know). Trying to survive, dealing with something they don't have any real knowledge about. The protoculture theories haven't kicked in yet but something tells me they're about to. The superstar girls concert wasn't anywhere near Sharon Apples though (but i'll hold my hopes until the last episode). For an anime character she's pretty hot but not Sharon Apple enchanting either. Or Lyn Minmay cute. Or Mao Nome special. Or Myung Lone grown up. Ok she is a real tsundere though, something i didn't see before in Macross, interesting.

It's neat to see the references to the prequels. I didn't watch Macross 7 yet so i don't know how it links to that. But i'm sure in the rest of the show there will be a gazillion of references to the previous shows (--idolgirl is named 'Sheryl Nome' for a reason).

I'll be back here when i've seen the whole thing, i hope it doesn't disappoint.

bluejackal
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by bluejackal » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:04 pm

I've seen it around . . . but I haven't watched it yet.

Hm!

I've seen the original Macross and quite a bit of Macross 7. >.> And Macross Plus! XD

major banana

Post by major banana » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:46 pm

Finished it a while ago. It didn't dissapoint and went straight to my #3 favorite anime. Sheryl Nome didn't dissapoint either. It doesn't top Macross Plus.

It's basically a compilation of references and re-used bits of older Macross stuff, polished and enhanced by 200% and with Macross zero quality animation (or better). So you might want to see the previous ones for maximum nostalgic satisfaction haha. It's weird, you'd think it would be some kind of ''been there done that'' show but they make it work really well. If you like Macross, you like Macross frontier, it's just more of the good stuff.