depreciation from manga to anime

Here you can talk about anything anime and manga related.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
redfox

depreciation from manga to anime

Post by redfox » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:03 pm

what are your thoughts on the depreciation of quality in art of manga when turned into anime? I mean i enjoyed obata's art in hikaru no go and death note but i got disappointed when the anime came out cause all the detail in the manga vanished.

fushicho
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by fushicho » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:12 pm

OMG MY FRIENDS AND I TALK ABOUT THIS ALL THE TIME!! anyways...ya i totally agree it was the same with inuyasha and everyone's like "omg i love watching inuyasha!!" and then someone else will jump in and say "you watch that crap?" and nobody knows that there's a manga that they can read and it's soo much better than that!!! >.< but ranma as an anime was pretty good...and funny...heh heh heh...:)
<3fushicho
:3

Yaz
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Yaz » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:25 pm

Comeon guys lol. Gotta think about money, deadlines, the reproduction factor. Animation takes worlds more work then a single frame of manga. Its necessary to do it you know?

I do hate it sometimes like with the Old Hellsing anime. The new one makes up for it but. I guess because i see why they do it I just excuse it. lol

Caffeine

Post by Caffeine » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:32 am

Yaz wrote: I do hate it sometimes like with the Old Hellsing anime. The new one makes up for it but. I guess because i see why they do it I just excuse it. lol
The OVA is AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME! But really, what concerns me is what can happen to the writing. I don't really watch that much anime to notice art problems, if I do it's usually not a manga I like. Like when I see movies of books I like, the changes can make me SO MAD.
You can't get rid of me.
Deviantart: here

major banana

Post by major banana » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:31 am

Like the GTO anime.. But then again after watching the anime, you can read the MUCH better and longer manga for more.

Why don't they make a 13 episode series or a 5 or 6 episode ova with their 26 episode budget. It'll spawn something like macross plus/zero, ah my goddess ova, lodoss war or rurouni kenshin ova. People will be blown away and they'll give an arm and a leg for it. With the profit they can make another 5 or 6 episodes of the same quality.

But if you only make 26 episode slow-paced crap from a popular manga, people will watch and buy it anyway.

redfox

Post by redfox » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:31 pm

well ya you do have to put the budget into consideration, what makes me wonder is why is it that only most of the current anime posses the qualities of depreciated art. look at the olden age anime from the 90's, smooth clean and hardly far from the manga.

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:35 pm

See the actual art may depreciate, but with anime it opens more doors. Sound is added to the experience of the story, as much as artists try and depict tone and emotion with font sizes and types it still just doesn't work as well as voice acting. Sure it may be a bit cheesy and over the top sometimes, but think, in manga they draw all the scenes extravagantly to draw the reader in, so when they transfer it to anime and keep the same kind of flamboyancy they really do need the tone to go with it.
There's also music that manga can't do. Music helps set the mood of the scene which pulls you in even more. Then there's things like broadcasting and colour, see what you people don't realise is that they air the manga stories on tv, you don't really have to pay for that and you even get to go through the story at a slower pace so you actually think about everything that's happening, colour helps you relate more to the characters and world of the anime. All in all anime does depreciate in art quality but for that one negative there are just so many more positives that outweigh the negative.

So now think about it and think if anime is crap or not. Don't get me wrong, manga is still higher quality and you just can't enjoy some stories fully by watching the anime... but anime has it's place too.

a random ninja

Post by a random ninja » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:27 pm

yeah, i really think it depends on the anime/manga in question. i'd take the lupin III anime over the manga any day (though admittedly i've hardly read any of the manga). aether's right, you do lose art quality, but you gain a lot of other things in the transition. sometimes it's done really well. sometimes not so much. like i said, it just depends on the series.

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:46 pm

redfox wrote:what makes me wonder is why is it that only most of the current anime posses the qualities of depreciated art. look at the olden age anime from the 90's, smooth clean and hardly far from the manga.
That's a simple question to answer really.
Back in the 90's people wouldn't stand for shit. But in this modern age there's that many retards that don't care what they watch as long as it's got their favorite character stamped all over it, that production companies have now gone, "Hmmm, well they ate that shit right up. Let's see how much more we can get away with." and decrease quality even more. Then you go from something like FullMetal Alchemist and production companies become cheaper and cheaper and then you end up with something like Naruto.

Now see, what I don't get is how they can be that much behind schedule for producing shit that they make so many fucking filler episodes. Like seriously, how many fillers do you want? And how the hell can you not produce shit really fast?