sub or dub??

Here you can talk about anything anime and manga related.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

rabid panda

Post by rabid panda » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:49 pm

lol my last name is dubbs

major banana

Post by major banana » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:35 pm

Is your first name Jiminyjoebob?

Those dutch dubs irritated me too. We're FLEMISH you TV dorks, stop being cheap and dub it in flemish if you absolutely must dub it. Or learn kids to read subtitles. Kids that can't read shouldn't watch violent anime and harry potter movies anyway.

BUT one dub that's good is Golden boy, it's fantastic. All the others must be in japanese so i don't notice too much of bad voice acting/stupid american stereotypes.

Raptoe
Moderator, the cruel one

Post by Raptoe » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:57 pm

major banana wrote:Is your first name Jiminyjoebob?

Those dutch dubs irritated me too. We're FLEMISH you TV dorks, stop being cheap and dub it in flemish if you absolutely must dub it. Or learn kids to read subtitles. Kids that can't read shouldn't watch violent anime and harry potter movies anyway.

BUT one dub that's good is Golden boy, it's fantastic. All the others must be in japanese so i don't notice too much of bad voice acting/stupid american stereotypes.
To be quite honest As Dutch the Flemish subtitles can be funny as well.
We say "Ik ben bang" You guys say "Ik heb schrik".
Than again please come on, our language has a lot in common we have some phrases that are different. I have little to no trouble understanding stuff people say in Belgium only when dialect is spoken it gets tricky. But I have that with Dutch dialects as well.

If you want Yugi-oh in flemish talk to the TV channels. Since they buy the dutch dubbed one's and don't bother to change it. However It would cause a riot if we would start that.. I sure as hell want my Piet Piraat to stay Flemish.. no dubbing there or there is hell to pay.

Also I watched Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon in dutch. And to my big suprise I actually liked it. The voices really worked well and the translation was better (not as bad as the US dubbed).

Dominion

Post by Dominion » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:11 am

Subs or dubs don't bother me so long as they're well done.

Take Death Note for example, that's pretty well done. Kira sounds SO much better in Japanese, but L sounds SO much better in English. Since I like L better I tend to watch that dubbed, but most of my other animes are subbed.

But to me, it makes no difference. You see, I've been going deaf since I was 17 and my hearing is deteriorating rather rapidly, so even if it is dubbed I have to have the subtitles up anyway T.T

Makes me sad ~sniffle~

Good job I've been watching subbed movies for quite some time :D

I do agree that there's a certain something about watching it in the original language that makes it better though.

Though saying that, back in the late 80s, early 90s (When I was but a small babe) they released a bunch of Manga movies with an English voice cast! You can't believe the hilarity of those dubs, they all had silly posh accents or sounded cockney.

major banana

Post by major banana » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:00 pm

I don't know, most words are the same but you use boatloads of funny expressions -balen als een stekker- and that weird accent going with it and all kinds of words we hardly use. Like australian -well fuck me sideways!- or irish vs american english. To me, watching a dutch dub is no different from watching an english dub. I understand what they say but it's not flemish.

But yea, i prefer dutch subs under it. Isn't that cheaper? Maby i should write to those tvchannels, good idea.

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:25 pm

i remember one with English dubs i think it was called "crushers" or something like that all iremember from it was there was a lot of motobikes and a fat general that says "waaaaaah?" and drops his cigar
I Think Exalibur is an Idiot

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:14 am

major banana wrote:australian -well fuck me sideways!-
Oh like shit we use that saying!

I don't know about the rest of Australia but I use these.
"Fuck a duck"
"Shit a brick"
"Holy Jesus crap"
"What the shit?"
"Fuck the what?"
And other assorted favorites... but not well fuck me sideways.

By the way, if you're under the age of 5 don't view my post. Otherwise you'll become some sort of sick, twisted freak who swears more than he should.

major banana

Post by major banana » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:26 am

clicky

there, post #6

Ok you're right, it's a new zealander.

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:53 pm

Aether wrote:
I don't know about the rest of Australia but I use these.
"Fuck a duck"
"Shit a brick"
"Holy Jesus crap"
"What the shit?"
"Fuck the what?"
And other assorted favorites... but not well fuck me sideways.

By the way, if you're under the age of 5 don't view my post. Otherwise you'll become some sort of sick, twisted freak who swears more than he should.
YAY YAY YAY!!!! lol i love silly stuff like that I say fuck a duck and shit a brick, though not very often. Reading that took me back to when i was a kid!!

Do you also say Texters?? people look at me like i'm crazy when i say that oh and pronounce Z as zee not zed!

sorry waaaaaaaaaaay of topic heh heh
I Think Exalibur is an Idiot

Envious Sleep

Post by Envious Sleep » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:58 pm

I DESPISE dubs. Most people who do the voice acting on dubs have absolutely NO prior experience. Moreover, they can't voice-act for their lives. It's like, overly cheesy and irritating.
Not to mention when they change things like honorifics to really odd and outta place words like "-san" to "mister"

Def Character
Mod-Squad Captain

Post by Def Character » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:32 am

English Subs for me please 6^^ somehow the other spoken languages don't fit.
Heh even my kids like it better that way They can grasp the story better then when spoken english.

Kentaku_sama

Post by Kentaku_sama » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:54 am

I think one of the main problems is that they know nothing about japanese culture and haven't watched the anime before they acted it.

I bet all dubs would be better if the actors had watched the anime for years subbed first.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

If you agree Aether is a cute kitty, put Mr Huggles in your sig now :3

Caffeine

Post by Caffeine » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:34 am

I found watching The Simpsons with the French dub a surreal experience.
Aether wrote: I think there's one anime that did well with the dubs. FullMetal Alchemist. I find that it suits it a lot more since it's set in more of a european country. And also... it's just awesome.
ROY WASN'T SEXY ENOUGH.
You can't get rid of me.
Deviantart: here

R0B3R7

Post by R0B3R7 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:08 am

i think it's annoying either way. they should just make some good anime in english =] hah like that'll ever happen
dA
“Getting ahead...requires avid faith in yourself. ...Some people with mediocre talent, but with great inner drive, go so much further than people with vastly superior talent.” -Sophia Loren

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:24 pm

Kitsune wrote:Do you also say Texters?? people look at me like i'm crazy when i say that oh and pronounce Z as zee not zed!
Yes I say texters and prounounce Z as zee.
Caffeine wrote:ROY WASN'T SEXY ENOUGH.
I agree.